• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salomon S/Pro 120 vs Salomon S/Pro 100

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi there - I recently bought the 2020 Salomon S/Pro 100 boots after spending a few hours trying on boots at a local ski shop. I had actually fell in love with the S/Pro 120 that I wore around the store for over an hour but opted for the 100 flex version to save $100 and because of the added comfort.

I'm a big guy but I want to ski at a leisurely pace. My question is, do the S/Pro 100s ski soft or stiff for their rating? I have an open invitation from the store to swap them out for the S/Pro 120 if I change my mind. I just want to make sure I am not going to overpower the 100s, even while attempting to ski "leisurely" on them.

Any help from the pros will be appreciated!!!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure what "big guy" means but imo if you are north of 200lbs then yes you probably overpower a 100flex boot. My 105lb daughter thinks her 110 lex langes are a bit soft. She comes from a race background but still.

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
In one of your other posts, I believe you mentioned that you are 6', 235 lb. I am 5'7" 135 lb, intermediate to advanced, and have Salomon X/Max 110W boots, which was the predecessor boot line in the narrower version. They work well for me, so I think it is likely that you would overpower a 100 flex boot and agree with UGASkiDawg that the 120 flex boot would suit you better.

TS
E

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
In one of your other posts, I believe you mentioned that you are 6', 235 lb. I am 5'7" 135 lb, intermediate to advanced, and have Salomon X/Max 110W boots, which was the predecessor boot line in the narrower version. They work well for me, so I think it is likely that you would overpower a 100 flex boot and agree with UGASkiDawg that the 120 flex boot would suit you better.
Yes, right at 6' and 235 lbs.

I did have one boot-fitting expert at one place tell me the S/Pro 100 skis more like a 110, but I cannot get that confirmed.

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
Also, if you should find the 120's too stiff, a boot boot fitter should be able to soften them up, and you would have the benefit of a better shell and liner for your extra $100.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
A lot depends on how you "engage" the boots. But I am inclined to agree with JimL that you should exchange them for the 120's and soften as needed. [Read on for further explanation of "engage"]

Some skiers rely on the flex of the upper cuff and stiffness of the boot for most of the leverage to the tip of the skis. I am one who does not- and uses the stiffness and upper cuff of the boot more for stability and shock absorption than for pure leverage. 90% of the "leverage" I generate inside my boot is from the bottoms of my feet (lots of toe pressure while centered in the sweet spot) and ankles leveraging into the side of the boot. In other words, I ski primarily from the bottoms of my feet, largely out of necessity. So, as important as flex is, the way the boot contributes to my stance is more important than the pure flex. Ramp angle, forward lean are all very important IMO as it determines how you will address and engage the boot.

One more note about the new Salomon boots that I was unaware of until recently. They do not come stock with cuff cant adjustments- but there is a kit that can be installed. I'm not sure why they would have omitted that feature as it was a critical feature of most ski boots in the last 40 years or so.

Just my 2¢ worth. Good luck. Keep us posted.

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
One more note about the new Salomon boots that I was unaware of until recently. They do not come stock with cuff cant adjustments- but there is a kit that can be installed. I'm not sure why they would have omitted that feature as it was a critical feature of most ski boots in the last 40 years or so.

Just my 2¢ worth. Good luck. Keep us posted.

This is true, and somewhat of an annoyance. My boot fitter used pads on one side or the other of the cuff to adjust the angle, and also I have read that there can be a couple degrees of adjustment if the cuff is molded.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
One more thing... You can't rely on numbers. I'm currently skiing on old Salomons that are rated at 90 flex. No relation to current numbers in Salomon or any brand. I'm almost shocked that the boots I've ordered are a 130 flex and probably the same overall stiffness as my Salomons. I'm 5'9 at 178 pounds... but I do ski a little harder than many folks. Still I don't like a boot that's too stiff.

Skisolo

Putting on skis
Skier
I exchanged my Nordica Speed machines for S/pro 120 and I felt the Salomons flexed softer. I'm 6'1 200lbs so not as heavy as you. Hoping they will be stiff enough in the cold.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
I exchanged my Nordica Speed machines for S/pro 120 and I felt the Salomons flexed softer. I'm 6'1 200lbs so not as heavy as you. Hoping they will be stiff enough in the cold.
according to your post on the other thread you swapped your speedmachines for an S Max..... different boot different flex pattern and at 6'1 and 200lb you really should be in a 130 flex whatever your skier level

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
It is relatively easy to make a "stiff" boot softer, but nearly impossible to make a "soft" boot stiffer; when in doubt, go stiffer and soften as needed......

Sponsor

Staff online