• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salomon Boot Advice

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I know, I know... go to an expert boot fitter! I have a question though:

5 years ago, when I decided to return to the sport of skiing after a fairly long hiatus, I got a full Salomon set up at @Philpug 's old shop, Wick's (now Buckman's) in Exton, PA. 169cm Solomon Q-90 skis and 3 buckle Q-90 boots to match (26.5). It was a great first set up to return to the sport. I've since moved on to some more front side carving oriented skis (177cm Latigos) which I totally am in love with and really fit the terrain in this area super well. I'm in same boots though.

While I have felt really comfortable overall in the boots, can wear them all day with basically no discomfort, I'm starting to explore the idea of stepping it up a notch in performance in regards to boots. I'd like to see if/how a higher performance boot will advance my skiing. I'm seeing decent buys on some 2018 Salomon boots and have my eyes on the X-Pro 120 or 130s. I figure stay in Solomon as they have treated me well.

Is it fairly safe to assume that a 26.5 in these other newer, higher performance models will fit my foot in the same way as my old trusty Q-90s? Can any experts out there suggest another brand or model that sizes in a similar fashion to Solomon Q-90s?

I promise, if I buy these I'll take them to an expert boot fitter and get some customization done :)

Thanks as always for the sage advice that this board provides!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our local shop is a Salomon shop. I don't length is going to be the issue. It's the change from a all mountain boot the Q line to a high performance boot. @Philpug or @Tricia, isn't the X-Pro narrower than the Q?
The new boot is real nice..real nice. I didn't try on the X-Pro but I did ski the X/Max and was blown away how snug it was especially in the back half of the boot, it IS very narrow all the way up the shaft. The toe box felt much more generous than my Raptors or any other 25.5 I could try. I would be happy to ski this boot right out of the box.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
I would suggest you keep an open mind, and let the boot fitter be your spirit guide. The generation and basic fit of the Q90 versus an X-pro might as well be from 2 completely different brands. In todays ski boot market, you will find an impressive variety of boot shapes and flexes from each manufacturer. Go see a good fitter with a reasonable brand/model selection. Have that fitter assess your foot size, shape, and skiing goals. Try on a couple different pair and buy the the one that is the tightest without discomfort or pain. There is no longer a true statement when saying, "I have a Lange foot" or "Salomon foot" or a "Nordica foot"

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
The x-max is a very snug fit, low profile and low instep. The x-max is a more regular fit. Both fully heat mouldable. I ski the x-max 120 and they're the best boots I've ever had, although sometimes I think someone has swapped mine for a pair 2 sizes smaller when I first try to put them on.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The x-max is a very snug fit, low profile and low instep. The x-max is a more regular fit. Both fully heat mouldable. I ski the x-max 120 and they're the best boots I've ever had, although sometimes I think someone has swapped mine for a pair 2 sizes smaller when I first try to put them on.

The X-max is snug, and the X-Pro is much more regular fit... I think you mean?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because you mentioned the 3 buckle set up on your current boot I wanted to mention that you shouldn't necessarily count out boots that are 3 buckle. I was hesitant before I got a pair of Dalbello boots with 3 buckles because I come from a race background but I really liked those. Now I'm in a Salomon QST Pro 110 W which is also a 3 buckle. For me these work better with my high instep.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Is it fairly safe to assume that a 26.5 in these other newer, higher performance models will fit my foot in the same way as my old trusty Q-90s?

<snip>
I promise, if I buy these I'll take them to an expert boot fitter and get some customization done :)

better - and you will *definitely* want to since the shell moulding process also sets things like cuff tilt.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had Christy's in Park City fit me last year a day prior to the Utah Gathering. They put me in the Salomon XPro 120. The XPro and XMax were two boots I was very interested in so I was happy when he walked back out carrying a pair of Salomons. The heel hold is outstanding! The over all hold while still being able to wiggle your toes is perfect. They actually put me in a 27.5 which surprised me because every boot I had had prior was a 28.5. He said they run a tad bit long and I was on the small side of a 28.5. They fit me for footbeds, heat molded the shell and liner, and I was off to the Gathering. I absolutely love them although they did pack out quicker than any other boot I had ever had. It was never frigid at the Gathering though and I am sure the warmer weather had a lot to do with the pack out. If it continues to be a problem I will likely look at putting Zipfits in them. As far as the flex goes they feel softer than my Head 120's and stiffer than my Full Tilt 8's. The Salomon's are a lot lighter than my Head's and comparable to the Tilts, maybe a tad lighter. I've not scaled them. So far I am very happy with the purchase. I have 10 days on them so far.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I had Christy's in Park City fit me last year a day prior to the Utah Gathering. They put me in the Salomon XPro 120. The XPro and XMax were two boots I was very interested in so I was happy when he walked back out carrying a pair of Salomons. The heel hold is outstanding! The over all hold while still being able to wiggle your toes is perfect. They actually put me in a 27.5 which surprised me because every boot I had had prior was a 28.5. He said they run a tad bit long and I was on the small side of a 28.5. They fit me for footbeds, heat molded the shell and liner, and I was off to the Gathering. I absolutely love them although they did pack out quicker than any other boot I had ever had. It was never frigid at the Gathering though and I am sure the warmer weather had a lot to do with the pack out. If it continues to be a problem I will likely look at putting Zipfits in them. As far as the flex goes they feel softer than my Head 120's and stiffer than my Full Tilt 8's. The Salomon's are a lot lighter than my Head's and comparable to the Tilts, maybe a tad lighter. I've not scaled them. So far I am very happy with the purchase. I have 10 days on them so far.

Thank you everyone for the advice - I have yet to pull the trigger on anything, but the day will be coming soon.

@PisteOff would you happen to know the last # of your foot?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you everyone for the advice - I have yet to pull the trigger on anything, but the day will be coming soon.

@PisteOff would you happen to know the last # of your foot?
Sorry, I didn’t get a notification so I didn’t see your question. Just happened to come back to this thread to check...... I’ve been measured at 98-100 depending on when I measure. Christy’s pegged me at 100 so he went with the Pro boot instead of the Max.

As an update, I ran across a great deal on prior year but new Salomon XPro 120’s on EBay. I bought them. The Salomon shell is easily heat molded in a conventional oven. The Max shell last starts at 98. I bought the 27.5 just like I had purchased from Christy’s. Out of the box I couldn’t get my foot in. I mean I could’ve forced it in, but that’s certainly not how you want to have to deal with a boot. In the oven they went. Warmed them up, foot slid right in, buckled them up, stood in them until they cooled. They fit just as great as the XPros and I paid $450 less for them!! View media item 2876
Here’s a pic of the XPros
View media item 2271

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Thanks @PisteOff ! Sounds like you scored!

I determined I am a 101 last, so I pulled the trigger on some 2018 X-Pro 120's myself a couple of weeks ago (I believe the same as the ones in your photo with the black & orange colorway). At about $375 including shipping, I figured since I had great luck with my last pair of Salomons why not give them a go...

Overall they feel pretty darn good right out of the box, one and a half "fingers" in the shell test, snug overall with great heel hold and nice room in the toe box. I've worn them around the house a few times now, probably a total of 3-4 hours. My left foot does experience a little bit of discomfort, but nothing major, similar to what I experienced with my last pair initially. I'm going to give them a handful of days on the slopes and take it from there. I'm sure they would benefit from some work, but I think a little feedback from actual proper use would be beneficial before starting down that road.

Thanks again for the help/feedback from you all!