• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Looks like Amer is finally going to show the world what it's been working on. From the little bit I've been able to gather, supposedly this is a hybrid binding -- with tech pins and no frame for efficient skinning, a toe that converts to be alpine-like on the way down, along with an alpine-like heel.

If it's everything it claims to be, it should give Fritschi's Tecton, and Marker's Kingpin a real run for its money.

I will say that typically I'm quite suspicious of big leaps in tech like this from a maker who hasn't spent a lot of time in the touring-binding space. But given they've had time to draw off market leaders like the Kingpin and Tecton, and this year came out with a very solid lightweight-touring binding for their first try -- I'm darn excited.

MantanaB6

When in doubt, air it out.
Skier
I just ordered some Tecton's, and now this has been plastered all over my Instagram feed via SalomonFreeski, Stan, and Cody. I'm pretty excited to see what Salomon has cooked up. Since I'm mounting the Tecton's on QST 106's and have MTN Lab boots, I may have to off-load the Fritschi's to rock the all Salomon setup. We shall see...

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@MantanaB6 -- I think you'll be happy with your Tectons for now. They are based an a proven design (the Vipec) and are a rad binding.

This is supposedly a whole-new ball game. I'd give it a few years to work out the kinks. Wouldn't be surprised if they are a good bit heavier than the Tectons anyhow.

MantanaB6

Skier
@MantanaB6 -- I think you'll be happy with your Tectons for now. They are based an a proven design (the Vipec) and are a rad binding.

This is supposedly a whole-new ball game. I'd give it a few years to work out the kinks. Wouldn't be surprised if they are a good bit heavier than the Tectons anyhow.

I hear ya; always nice to give new tech some time for all the kinks to get hashed out (though somebody has to guinea pig to find those kinks). Will definitely be interesting to see what the weight ends up being. No need to speculate too much if they release the info tomorrow though!

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Boom. Pins on the way up. Lateral elasticity and release in the toe on the way down. Alpine style heel.

And

Multi-Norm Compatible. Which, if true, makes it the first binding with a pin toe, that you can also ride with an Alpine ISO boot.

EDIT: Site: http://shift-bindings.salomon.com/en

Last edited:
TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
47mm of elastic travel! This could be a big deal.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
47mm of elastic travel! This could be a big deal.
Yes and even bigger, it appears the pins are not engaged and completely out of the way in ski mode. IIRC, the lack of such a feature is what Rick Howell in so many words likened to the achillies heel of Vipec pin types, very questionable reliable safe release with pins engaged at all times when clicked in (my words, couldn't find the actual quote I recall reading in the discussion on wildsnow).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From LeeLau on TGR:

Need-to-know...
  • DIN: 6-13
  • NORM: MNC (Multi-Norm Compatible)
  • SAFETY: TUV Certified
  • WEIGHT: 1700g/pair 850g/single (ie heavier then Kingpin; lighter then Beast)
  • ADJUSTMENT RANGE: 30mm
  • BRAKES SIZE: 90/100/110/120mm
  • CRAMPONS WAIST WIDTH: 100/120mm
  • CLIMBING AIDS" 2° & 10°

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://shift-bindings.salomon.com/en

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
http://shift-bindings.salomon.com/en

https://www.newschoolers.com/news/r...unce-Game-changing-Tech-Touring-Binding-Shift
885088_926w_640h.jpeg

885090_926w_640h.jpeg

Additional info - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums...e-Official-Salomon-S-Lab-SHIFT-MNC-Thread-AMA
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums...e-Official-Salomon-S-Lab-SHIFT-MNC-Thread-AMA
"Tecton is not TUV certified for alpine norms. Same with the Kingpin. The SHIFT is certified to Alpine releasability and safety norms, something no other tech insert binding can claim."
https://www.wildsnow.com/23591/salomon-shift-ski-binding-review-look/
"will downhill ski with any DIN standard ski boot (those with a “normal” toe and heel shape), tech fittings or NO tech fittings!"

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:............. and based on past Salomon 1st releases, this may have potential. I jumped in w/ the first release of the Impact Pro's based on the recommendation of my boot fitter and was met w/ absolute success.... Same when they released the Supermtns. W/ Solly I won't feel as much like a Crash Test Dummy like w/ my KneeBinding experience.......

MantanaB6

Skier
Doesn't look like they'll be available till Sept. 2018 so I'll get a good season to test the Tecton's. These will definitely be going on my next pair of skis however (assuming they perform as intended). Will definitely be nice to have one binding that I can confidently use for trips out west when my time is split between full on resort/slackcountry days, with the odd dedicated backcountry day thrown in the mix. There are enough decent touring boots you could get away with rocking in the resort, it was always just the bindings holding things up a bit (though I still have high hopes for the Tecton's).

Reactions: BMC

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:............. and based on past Salomon 1st releases, this may have potential. I jumped in w/ the first release of the Impact Pro's based on the recommendation of my boot fitter and was met w/ absolute success.... Same when they released the Supermtns. W/ Solly I won't feel as much like a Crash Test Dummy like w/ my KneeBinding experience.......
Salomon has is not afraid to attack the norm when it comes to ski gear. It will be interesting if this has the industy influence that the original 727 had, a design that included the bench mark heel peice structre that is used by every other manufacturer. With a $650 retail and (probably) a $499 street price it will be for a select few expecially the first year. Looking forward to seeing it in Denver...or before.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blister Podcast - http://blistergearreview.com/at-binding-reviews/the-new-salomon-slab-shift-mnc-ep-3

From a topic PugSki hashed out this past fall, a little shoutout to rear-entry ski boots @ 2m:47s ;)
LMAO! I never knew Blister was founded at a brewery!!!! This interview reminds me of an outing I had one night hanging w/ the guys at the 22Designs (Tele - Hammerheads) factory in Driggs.... those guys were fun! :beercheer:

Now Salomon needs to figure out how to make this binding Schizo........ but I'll settle for a Demo version! Now THAT is the Holy Grail!

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I really reeeeally want these bindings. Now, I need to find out which boots fit me best. Tried the S/LAB MTN's and fit me great but did not love the way they flexed. Felt a bit odd. It was not too soft just different feel the way the plastic contorted.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really reeeeally want these bindings. -
-
So do I!
Being based in Philadelphia makes it difficult for me to invest in a touring set-up. This binding on a Head Kore 105, Volkl V-works Katana, Elan Ibex 94 Carbon XLT or the like allowing in and out of the resort use would justify the purchase :)

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
As someone who was so close to buying kingpins this year, I will absolutely wait until next year for these. I think they are a big jump up in safety.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As far as safety is concerned, I think at this point for touring bindings it's basically (highest to lowest):

- Shift / all frame bindings (Guardian, Duke, Adrenaline)
- Vipec / Tecton / Ski Trab TR2 (lateral toe release)
- all other tech bindings. (Yes there is some variation, but no others have lateral toe release or toe elasticity.)

Kingpins go in the "all other tech" bindings from a safety perspective. Even if their skiability is higher.

Sponsor

Staff online