• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Saggy Oakley straps

Erik

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My family has 5 pairs of Oakley goggles (between wife, kids and me) and after a few seasons, the straps are getting saggy. So I thought I'd simply replace the straps. Yeah, no.

Turns out that Oakley doesn't sell replacement straps. I've been online. I've called customer support. I've opened a repair ticket. But they're a Luxottica company, and refuse to sell replacement straps. Guess they showed me.

So I won't be buying any more Oakley goggles. Anyone know of brands where the straps are replaceable?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a little wear on one of my Smith IOX straps, customer service was responsive and they replaced the strap even though they could easily have claimed it the wear was minor and/or it was my fault.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, as a matter of fact ...

There is a new local (CO) brand called D-Curve that noticed this problem and is producing goggles that you can trade out not only the lenses, but the foam and straps as well. I discovered them because the owner lives next door to my cousin, and apparently I have relatives photographed in their promo materials. I talked to him at SIA and we would like to get some test stuff, but things have been slightly nutso since then. I'll try to touch base soon. They also make sunglasses and helmets. I believe @FairToMiddlin recently skied with a fellow who was repping them? or maybe just sporting their wares.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do love the threat title. I have noticed recently that some of our older Smith goggles are having the same issue. An industry epidemic? Lets see how some of our Poc and new arrived Dragons hold up.

scott43

Skier
I don't know what happened to Oakley..not in the business anymore..but I remember back in the day they had the best customer service. Sat on your glasses? We had a box of spare parts we would give away no questions asked. Not so anymore it seems..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know what happened to Oakley..not in the business anymore..but I remember back in the day they had the best customer service. Sat on your glasses? We had a box of spare parts we would give away no questions asked. Not so anymore it seems..
They are under the Luxottica ownership the global eyewear company from Italy now or are you referring the customer service of all the $24.99 Oakley ads we are seeing on Facebook.

scott43

Skier
They are under the Luxottica ownership the global eyewear company from Italy now or are you referring the customer service of all the $24.99 Oakley ads we are seeing on Facebook.

This was way back when they first hit the scene..we're talking the Factory Pilot days. They were exceptional in customer service. After 1995 or so I lost touch, out of the business. I suppose all businesses change over time, as you say, new owners etc. Just kinda sad.

TS
Erik

Erik

Skier

Yeah, was actually redirected to a Luxottica website to submit a request - and that request was simply to ask to speak with someone about buying new straps. This about a week ago, btw, with no response. The customer service rep I spoke with at Oakley was very nice, but couldn't help - said it was a Luxottica issue.

It's beyond obvious that Luxottica has zero interest (or ability) to help with repairs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, was actually redirected to a Luxottica website to submit a request - and that request was simply to ask to speak with someone about buying new straps. This about a week ago, btw, with no response. The customer service rep I spoke with at Oakley was very nice, but couldn't help - said it was a Luxottica issue.

It's beyond obvious that Luxottica has zero interest (or ability) to help with repairs.
Could it be that the older straps are not indemnified?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
$15.99 Clearance shelf goggles/remove strap x chuck the rest + sewing machine ( or a good local sewing shop) = That should do the trick!

TS
Erik

Erik

Skier
Doubtful, because they sell additional lenses for those same goggles. So it's not that they're needing to protect themselves legally. They're protecting themselves commercially, which is totally within their rights. They can do whatever they want. But with that information, it also also means that I chose not to buy more Oakley goggles.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
They want their goods to be. disposable item not a serviceable item. Maintaining a supply chain for spares and repairs is a PITA for most consumer goods companies. That's where good retailers who aren't afraid to keep a spares bin and aren't above a little Mcguyvering earn their reputation.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
If there is an Oakley store near you, they sell parts. I replaced my strap this season.