• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tommy Slalomi

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi, I'm new to the board and fairly new to skiing--I've only been doing it about five years. I need to get a new helmet and wondered which would protect me more: the Briko Vulcano, which I understand is used by World Cup racers and incorporates the shock absorbing Protetto system, carrying an FIS 6.8 certification, or the Scott Symbol 2 plus D helmet, which comes with both D30 and MIPS technology. I'm in a club racing league. Should I get the Briko for racing and the Scott for just normal skiing? Or possibly the Bolle Instinct MIPS? Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There is a reason that FIS and USSS helmet requirements, except for SL, require full protection (hard shell over the ears): it provides better protection.

It is your noggin. Don't you want to provide it with the best protection?

Last edited:
TS
T

Tommy Slalomi

Skier

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi, I'm new to the board and fairly new to skiing--I've only been doing it about five years. I need to get a new helmet and wondered which would protect me more: the Briko Vulcano, which I understand is used by World Cup racers and incorporates the shock absorbing Protetto system, carrying an FIS 6.8 certification, or the Scott Symbol 2 plus D helmet, which comes with both D30 and MIPS technology. I'm in a club racing league. Should I get the Briko for racing and the Scott for just normal skiing? Or possibly the Bolle Instinct MIPS? Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.
May I wonder why you have narrowed down your list to just two models? Uvex and POC make excellent race helmets that may be cheaper than the Briko Vulcano. You can also get the Rossi Hero 9 FIS helmet from Skiyard for under $100 in a variety of sizes. I was in the market for a new helmet recently and ended up getting an Uvex helmet. I use a racing helmet for normal skiing and don't have any issues or discomfort with it.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I just took a risk and ordered a Briko online because that's the brand I had two back and it fit me better than my current helmet which is pretty old and showing some light cracks in the finish paint. Both are the "same size", but my current helmet has always been a bit big. I find that different brands fit differently, and that may be your deciding factor. I would have kept the Briko longer, but it cracked when I slammed into a tree. I'm a big believer in full helmets, since I'm not eating my dinners with a straw.

TS
T

Tommy Slalomi

Skier
May I wonder why you have narrowed down your list to just two models? Uvex and POC make excellent race helmets that may be cheaper than the Briko Vulcano. You can also get the Rossi Hero 9 FIS helmet from Skiyard for under $100 in a variety of sizes. I was in the market for a new helmet recently and ended up getting an Uvex helmet. I use a racing helmet for normal skiing and don't have any issues or discomfort with it.

I like Briko for the style. I narrowed the question to two choices to make it a simple either/or proposition of whether the new technologies incorporated in the Scott helmet makes it as safe a choice as even a racing helmet. Thanks for these other possibilities to consider, though.

TS
T

Tommy Slalomi

Skier
I just took a risk and ordered a Briko online because that's the brand I had two back and it fit me better than my current helmet which is pretty old and showing some light cracks in the finish paint. Both are the "same size", but my current helmet has always been a bit big. I find that different brands fit differently, and that may be your deciding factor. I would have kept the Briko longer, but it cracked when I slammed into a tree. I'm a big believer in full helmets, since I'm not eating my dinners with a straw.
Wow!!! Sounds like that Briko came in handy when it counted! Glad you're OK!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
By the way, the order I placed? Got a message AFTER THEY SHIPPED IT that all sales are final. I was using a site called brikousa.com, thinking it was really Briko. Stupid. Beware.

TS
T

Tommy Slalomi

Skier
By the way, the order I placed? Got a message AFTER THEY SHIPPED IT that all sales are final. I was using a site called brikousa.com, thinking it was really Briko. Stupid. Beware.

Hope it works for you when it arrives, Sibhusky. I went ahead and ordered the Briko (58 cm, black) off Ebay, and I think I have 30 days to return it if dissatisfied.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hope it works for you when it arrives, Sibhusky. I went ahead and ordered the Briko (58 cm, black) off Ebay, and I think I have 30 days to return it if dissatisfied.
Briko race fit is quite particular, especially in the back of the head. What this means is on some longer-than-norm-for- their-circumference heads the helmet will have TWO stable positions, one of which doesn't protect the back of the head at all. Make sure the fit is secure and not wiggly up/down before you do up the chin strap.

TS
T

Tommy Slalomi

Skier
Briko race fit is quite particular, especially in the back of the head. What this means is on some longer-than-norm-for- their-circumference heads the helmet will have TWO stable positions, one of which doesn't protect the back of the head at all. Make sure the fit is secure and not wiggly up/down before you do up the chin strap.

Thanks for the tip; will do.

Sponsor