• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
As some may be aware there are unprecedented bush fires burning across the south east of Australia - have been for months and likely to continue for the foreseeable future.

This happens to be where Australian ski resort is located and the fires have claimed one of the resorts.

Mt Selwyn is one of the smallest resorts but it is not very far away from the larger resorts of Thredbo and Vail's Perisher Blue. The fires continue and we will need drought breaking rains to extinguish.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, sorry to hear. Are there trees up there to burn?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
So sorry to see this. I hope you can recover from this quickly. Our own Columbia River Gorge (Oregon, USA) had a large fire two years ago -- it is amazing how quickly Nature restores itself. I hope for this to happen where you are (quick recovery)...

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
such a bummer for them and all of AU.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wow, sorry to hear. Are there trees up there to burn?

Yep - plenty. But when it is as dry as now everything burns.

Selwyn in winter.
View attachment 89438

Selwyn is just one of many tragedies that have taken place. Here's another about 1500km west.

Before:

Now:
11840680-3x2-940x627.jpg
View attachment 89438

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, I've been watching the news about those fires and can't believe the images I've been seeing

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
This s a powerful image. :(
82223432_1482695168573874_206206636920930304_n.jpg

Yes Tricia, it is. But whilst the situation is bad here please keep in mind:

• This is a 3D visualisation of the fires in Australia. NOT A PHOTO. Think of this as prettier looking graph.
  • This is made from data from NASA’s FIRMS (Satellite data regarding fires) between 05/12/19 – 05/01/20. These are all the areas which have been affected by bushfires.
  • Scale is a little exaggerated due to the render’s glow, but generally true to the info from the NASA website.
  • Also note that NOT all the areas are still burning, and this is a compilation.
It's not like we're all suddenly having to leave for New Zealand!

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
New Zealand? Rains frequently.

Australia? Well, it's a big place - not far off the size of USA without Alaska/Hawaii. So, yes, it will rain again at some point in some parts.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes Tricia, it is. But whilst the situation is bad here please keep in mind:

• This is a 3D visualisation of the fires in Australia. NOT A PHOTO. Think of this as prettier looking graph.
  • This is made from data from NASA’s FIRMS (Satellite data regarding fires) between 05/12/19 – 05/01/20. These are all the areas which have been affected by bushfires.
  • Scale is a little exaggerated due to the render’s glow, but generally true to the info from the NASA website.
  • Also note that NOT all the areas are still burning, and this is a compilation.
It's not like we're all suddenly having to leave for New Zealand!
Understood, but still powerful.
Another friend of mine in Australia post this on my FB wall when I posted images of the fire damage.
Anna GoAnna Howie: Also historical buildings at Kiandra, historical home of Aussie snow sport, have been destroyed :(
My mountain, Mt Hotham, so far, has been spared.

There are also reports that Mt Bueller is ready to turn on the snow guns in an attempt to spare their facilities if the fire is close.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Then there is this article on a Denver news channel

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Air quality in NZ from Australian wildfires is shocking.

Past the worst of it now but a few days ago the sky in NZ all over the country was literally yellow like a nuclear winter or something. People I know said it literally felt like Armageddon.

Below is a picture of the sky someone sent me - keep in mind no filter in this image.

Don't kid yourself. That situation in Australia is bad. Millions of animals dying, severe drought and temps in many parts of the country.

If you see what is going on I don't know how you wouldn't be nervous about the state of some of the things going on around the world at the moment.
IMG-20200104-WA0001.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Like California, they need to figure out how to get the sea onto the land quickly.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Understood, but still powerful.
Another friend of mine in Australia post this on my FB wall when I posted images of the fire damage.
Anna GoAnna Howie: Also historical buildings at Kiandra, historical home of Aussie snow sport, have been destroyed :(
My mountain, Mt Hotham, so far, has been spared.

There are also reports that Mt Bueller is ready to turn on the snow guns in an attempt to spare their facilities if the fire is close.

Yep, it's a powerful image. Represents a single month of bush fires. Just didn't want folks to think we all needed immediate rescue. (This happened once before when they announced an area equivalent to some significant part of the UK had been burnt out and folks in the UK went into a complete panic.)

Images are now coming through showing significant damage to Mt Selwyn lift infrastructure.

They did use snow guns to water some of the resorts - like at Vail's Perisher Blue . Not sure about Mt Buller.

We've had some cooler days and even some rain in some places but not enough. Expecting a return to hazardous conditions later this week.

Sponsor