• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sad news from the Ski Racing world: Finn Christian Jagge, 1992 Olympic slalom champion, dies at 54

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Sad news. But, about the skiing, is he “skating” through the course?

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Norway’s Olympic Committe has announced that Finn Christian Jagge has died aged 54. Jagge’s wife, Trine-Lise Jagge, posted on Facebook that he died of an acute illness.

More - Finn Christian Jagge - RIP

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Sad news. But, about the skiing, is he “skating” through the course?
Discussion for a different thread, but SL skis and course sets have changed radically in the past 20 years. Anyhow, sad news and much too young. I remember watching his gold medal race. It was a treat.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Here’s the odd thing. The woman who won the bronze in slalom in ‘92, Blanca Fernandez-Ochoa, died last year at 56. Don’t know if it was suicide or murder.
The women’s podium for that race had Spain and New Zealand on it.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe Blanca took her own life. She was experiencing difficulties in her life which may have overwhelmed her. Years ago at a Women's World Cup Race at Red Mountain, BC (yes there was one, you could look it up), G. and I stayed in the same lodgings as Blanca. While we didn't meet her we got to see her with her fellow competitors off slope, and she was very impressive, happy and seemingly having the time of her life. The race was a DH held partially to honor Nancy Greene Raine who grew up skiing Red Mountain. G. had raced at Red while in High School and had been quartered at the Greene home. We got to talk to Nancy and also to a woman from Red who had raced against G. We hadn't planned to be there for the event but when we found we were there for the DH race day, it capped the day for sure.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
And now Eric Keck :( ...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Sad thread. RIP, all.

“Kecker” was absolutely one of a kind. Fantastic person, in every respect. Huge heart, great oulook on life, great sense of humor. He could do, and seemingly did do anything. An enormous and heartbreaking loss. Gone way too soon.

Sponsor

Staff online