• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sackler Family buys Peak Resorts

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just heard/learned about this family as a result of a Last Week Tonight video

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bad news for those hills. I sure wouldn't expect safety to be a priority. They weren't content to sell only as much as needed and felt they had to grow the market for their opioid. In fact, the evidence suggests the Sackler family did their absolute best to push Oxycontin on the public in the face of evidence that they were causing great harm.

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...called-addicts-criminals-while-pushing-pills/

Documents released this week (PDF) allege—and include new, rather damning evidence—that members of the Sackler family not only knew about the illegal and loathsome activities at Purdue, but they personally directed them. Members of the Sackler family, particularly Richard Sackler, aggressively pushed for extreme sales figures—and profits—which they accomplished in part by bullying their sales representatives; targeting vulnerable patients, such as the elderly and veterans; suggesting that the addictive opioid was an alternative to safe medications like Tylenol; and encouraging doctors to write longer and higher dose prescriptions, according to the lawsuit. All the while, the family allegedly dismissed evidence of OxyContin’s addictiveness and blamed patients for their addictions—referring to them as “reckless criminals.”​

aliebe

Booting up
Skier
The cynic in me says that the skiing biz is a natural extension of the oxycontin biz. More hurt skiers = more oxy sold.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Given Timberline’s history with their indicted owner/pill doctor and Peak’s new investors background, Timberline would be the perfect fit with Peak.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As one with severe arthritic pain, it worries me when drugs that can bring relief are taken away. Abuse is horrible and tragic and as much as possible should be done to minimize that at a patient, doctor and drug manufacturer level. But the benefits are real for the majority of those who need it. People in pain are not "reckless criminals". Nor are people who provide pain relief.

A friend nearly lost his son to opiate addiction (and of course, it's an ongoing issue). On the other hand, my sister's husband got several quality years from the opiates during his battle with cancer. A friend (paralyzed partially from an earlier accident) committed suicide when the fentanyl patch that he had been using for five years lost effectiveness - but those five years were the best of his life (and the most sober). It's a double edged sword.

I'm not ready to condemn a ski resort owner just because he is rich. Or because he sells medicines for profit. Both of those factors seem to be getting lots of traction here. But laundering money through a ski resort isn't right either.

If the snow's good and I'm in the area, I'll ski.

Eric

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not ready to condemn a ski resort owner just because he is rich. Or because he sells medicines for profit.

I know for a fact you aren't alone in having family with opiate problems. .... .... .... ....

My goodness but that is not what the problem is with the Sackler's. Plenty out there if you want to do some research as to why they are vilified.