• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RX lenses

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As the title says, anyone here using prescription goggle lenses, ideally a progressive lens for either a smith or Oakley frame ?
Good or bad results, anyone have a supplier in mind that they could recommend ?

If anyone is having good results, are you able to see your phone screen with them on ?
As we work quite a bit from the lift answering email and texts, Mrs. C fumbles for her reading glasses, I would love to find a solution for her.

Any suggestions?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I just bought 2 pairs of Smith Prophecy goggles with RX inserts and the battery fan, but I haven't used them yet. The Woman of My Dreams has been using similar goggles for a few years and she really likes them. She had bifocals in them but had to switch back to single RX, so I skipped the progressives. I've been carrying cheaters for a few years, so no change there. I got a pro deal on the goggles, and the inserts from adseyewear dot com.

I might have made a mistake by not going with contacts. I haven't used contacts because I needed hard lenses for good correction of my astigmatism, but now there are gas permeable hard lenses that might be comfortable enough for me.

dm

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi @Catskill carver,

Since @Dave Marshak mentioned contacts, I'll mention that's what I use. Been using Rigid Gas Permeables (RPG) for most of my life. In today's context they're known as 'hard' lenses. When I first used them, 'hard' lenses were made of glass and didn't flex. RPG are made of rigid plastic and give excellent clarify, and correct for the astigmatism mentioned.

I tried to use soft contacts for a week or two once. Their performance was nothing in comparison to the RGPs. Like many on this site, I'm fairly active and vision is a necessary premium for me.

Finding a 'good' optometrist who can fit the RGPs well is a bit of a challenge today, given the popularity of soft lenses. Since I crossed a certain age where my eye muscles aren't quite as strong, one eye has a near focus and the other a far. That allows me to read and play sports without other eyewear.

It's nice to be able to regular sunglasses and goggles.

Good luck with your search.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear soft contact lenses for skiing, and I am very happy with them overall. I do have to get out my reading glasses to read my phone or the trail map, though.
I was wondering if these bifocal stickers would work. Put them down in one corner of your goggles. It would be awkward for long use, but feasible for a quick reading task.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I've been using Smith Turbo Fans with inserts for at least 5 seasons. No complaints at all. Since I try not to work on ski days, I skipped the progressive lenses just to keep the cost down. I keep a pair in my pocket, just in case.

TS
BS Slarver

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks everyone,
mrs. C has an autoimmune syndrome so the contacts aren't an option and working from the lift is a must.
The reading with the googles on is my primary consideration. I know I can't see my screen with my googles on so perhaps it's a pipe dream on my part to think RX lenses will help.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I bought a pair of Smith I/OX's with lenses before last season. I absolutely love them. Contacts don't work for me either and the glasses under goggles option was never comfortable. I got the turbo-fan model and that has really helped with fogging on those challenging days. I know SportRx, https://www.sportrx.com/, (and probably others) do offer both progressive and lined bifocal lens inserts. I just went with the distance version, but I even find close up viewing clearer through the goggles with the insert. Good luck!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The goggles where the prescription is an insert are usually considered lower end compared to a prescription faceplate. (Do those even exist anymore? )

But the inserts give you complete freedom of prescription. I got them for my son up until he got contacts as a teenager. That was over 10 years ago but I got them from SpottRx and was pretty happy with them.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I know SportRx, https://www.sportrx.com/, (and probably others) do offer both progressive and lined bifocal lens inserts.
IIRC SportRx had only universal inserts. I didn't want to risk that so I got the Smith ODS3 inserts. SportRx were cheaper and would have been my choice if I could have confirmed that their inserts worked as well as the Smith inserts.

dm

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I wear contacts too and have to carry readers. I've a friend with the bottoms of coke bottles for lenses and has the insert in Bolle's. Think he got them from a optometrist. But he still has to have his glasses to see if he goes inside anywhere. The insert stays with the goggles.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I have Spy Goggles with progressive inserts and really like them. Haven't had problems looking at a phone screen like I do with my polarized fishing glasses.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I tried contacts for ski racing but they moved too much, especially when I was in a tuck. I didn't try using them for ordinary skiing when I wouldn't be looking up as you do while tucking.

Fortunately my vision has improved ogsmile for distance so lenses for skiing has become less of an issue although carrying readers is likely to happen soon. Just another pair of readers...