• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rustler 10/11 vs Ripstick Black 106

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Hope your and yours are safe and sound. Need some advice from folks that have skied this or next years Rustler 10/11 and Ripstick Black 106.

Rocking a pair of Phantomd Enforcer 94s that RIP. 5’5”,165-170, powerful skier, advanced, CO front range. We get a couple big dumps where wider skis help but 94s foot the bill 85-90% of the time.

Was visiting family near Targhee (pre shut down) and Enforcers limitations came to light in the trees with 12” fresh. Got a good deal at Corbetts for 115mm Warden 13s (and Black Pearl 98s/Griffon 13s/LEKI Carbon 14s for the Missus) so need skis.

My guess we’ll head up to Targhee and Jackson more next season but still ski CO front range primarily. Looking for something wider, fun, that doesn’t ride you if you aren’t paying attention, possibly with little/no metal that will not want to totally rip if I ski with kiddos and could still be a single quiver ski. Tall order.

Researched and it seems like the Rustler 10 and Ripstick Black 106 might work. Think the Rustler 11 too wide for how often we’ll be in deeper snow and on groomers?

Any thoughts from those that skied one, both, all? Thx!

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
I ski the Rustler 10 as my everyday ski around Tahoe and love them. No experience with the Ripstick's though.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Hope your and yours are safe and sound. Need some advice from folks that have skied this or next years Rustler 10/11 and Ripstick Black 106.

Rocking a pair of Phantomd Enforcer 94s that RIP. 5’5”,165-170, powerful skier, advanced, CO front range. We get a couple big dumps where wider skis help but 94s foot the bill 85-90% of the time.

Was visiting family near Targhee (pre shut down) and Enforcers limitations came to light in the trees with 12” fresh. Got a good deal at Corbetts for 115mm Warden 13s (and Black Pearl 98s/Griffon 13s/LEKI Carbon 14s for the Missus) so need skis.

My guess we’ll head up to Targhee and Jackson more next season but still ski CO front range primarily. Looking for something wider, fun, that doesn’t ride you if you aren’t paying attention, possibly with little/no metal that will not want to totally rip if I ski with kiddos and could still be a single quiver ski. Tall order.

Researched and it seems like the Rustler 10 and Ripstick Black 106 might work. Think the Rustler 11 too wide for how often we’ll be in deeper snow and on groomers?

Any thoughts from those that skied one, both, all? Thx!
If you go over to my thread 'Dedicated Left and Right Ski', there is some feedback on the Ripsticks, though not really the Black 106, IIRC. I am curious to see what others say about these two skis though, as I am also in the market for a 1-0-Something all mountain/powder ski for Europe.

Last edited:
TS
T

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Thx. Think I’ve read most threads re both skis.

Know Tahoe well, when I lived in San Fran. Skied Sugarbowl, Squaw, Kirkwood and Northstar mostly. Good to know the Rustlers work well there.

Over the years I’ve never found a light ski that wasn’t twitchy or chattery. Both skis (10 and 106) are light, Ripstick 106 Blacks moreso, but I think the tech in the ski has potential. Just trying to triangulate on some people that have skied both or all 3 ideally.

Wondering if the Rustler 11s are sufficiently versatile to meet my needs too.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Rustler 11 would offer the most float of course but it’s also the best in crud/tracked out powder and most stable at speed of the Rustlers. It will be more work edge to edge but if you’re bringing them out more on new snow/powder days they are still quite versatile for their width.
The Rustler 10 was improved by adding a bit of weight last year but it’s sidecut still keeps it from being stable at higher speeds in comparison to the 11.

Find the Ripsticks are fun, forgiving skis but even the Black versions lack the weight to be great in crud/tracked snow. Perfect for lighter, less aggressive skiers that want a lightweight, forgiving ski.

The Nordica Enforcer 104 would be a more playful option that would offer more float than the 94 in a similar length if you wanted to stay in the family. Find it a little more versatile than the 110.
The 2020 Salomon QST 106 and K2 Mindbender 108 Ti would also offer much more float than the Enforcer 94 and have a very good mix of stability and accessibility. Solid yet still fun skis!

TS
T

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Thx Greg. I actually want to give partial or no metal ski a try, so I ruled out the 104. Enforcers are great but if you don’t ride them they ride you. Not sure if that means I’m looking for a ski with playful and/or forgiving characteristics. I think Targhee, Jackson, Big Sky and Sun Valley are where I’ll end up using “the ski“ next season.

-So Ripstick black can be overpowered pretty easily?
-QST wasn’t on radar, thx.
-Looked at the Mindbender 108 but don’t think sizing works for me (run a tad longer than I’d like). Women’s 106 has too many sparkles lol.
-Are you saying the rustler 10 due to sidecut is twitchy/unstable at high speed because it wants to turn? It does have a pretty short turn radius for a 10p+ width ski.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
The OP is pretty clear about what he is looking for so he should look at the Line Supernatural 100 which is my daily driver. Directional, one layer of metal in a cut out matrix, and very versatile. Basically it will do whatever you ask.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thx Greg. I actually want to give partial or no metal ski a try, so I ruled out the 104. Enforcers are great but if you don’t ride them they ride you. Not sure if that means I’m looking for a ski with playful and/or forgiving characteristics. I think Targhee, Jackson, Big Sky and Sun Valley are where I’ll end up using “the ski“ next season.

-So Ripstick black can be overpowered pretty easily?
-QST wasn’t on radar, thx.
-Looked at the Mindbender 108 but don’t think sizing works for me (run a tad longer than I’d like). Women’s 106 has too many sparkles lol.
-Are you saying the rustler 10 due to sidecut is twitchy/unstable at high speed because it wants to turn? It does have a pretty short turn radius for a 10p+ width ski.

What length are your Enforcer 94s? Too short of a ski length would have created some of the powder float issues you faced with them. I’m taller and 175lbs and ski the 185/186cm Enforcers which are a perfect length for me. Powder skis are going to have more rocker and normally softer flex, so are usually sized longer to help with provide better float.

I find the Enforcer 104 a much more forgiving and playful ski than the 93/94 with its softer underfoot flex and increased tail rocker, so don’t count it out just yet. Even easier to pivot with the mount up a cm or two. A forgiving ski with some weight behind it makes tracked up powder and afternoon crud skiing a lot easier.

The Ripstick Black is more powerful and stable than the regular version but it’s still a very light ski(same weight as the regular version) so it doesn’t power through crud/variable terrain like a heavier, stiffer ski would. Very fun ski and forgiving skis though.

Some skis like the Rustler 10 like to do short/mid size turns rather than longer, high speed turns. You can do longer turns with them but they seem to be less forgiving of turn shape/speed vs the Rustler 11.
Like the Ripstick, many people think the Rustler 10 is more than stable enough for them as they enjoy making more turns anyway so a demo is always a good thing.

K2 usually sizes their skis closer to actually tape measure lengths after pressing, so a 172cm K2 would be a 174cm or so of other companies and that’s a very suitable length of ski for you.

TS
T

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
So 5’5” aka 165cm and 165lb this AM. Hit the half way mark so I’m not hucking off cliffs and shredding moguls like a crazy person any more. 172 Enforcer 94s are >3“over top of head. 94s, to your Rustler 10/11 point, they handle variable length turns better than the 93s. I Phantom‘d my 94s and they are just stupid fast.

Unfortunately demos shut down due to covid but want to hop on a pair of fatter sticks with all the sales. Have to go off 3rd party anecdotal and experiential info.

It seems like can get a great deal on 2020 rustler 10s/11s. 2021 is just topsheet and graphics change. I think there are enough similarities between the enforcer 94 and 10s the 11s might make the most sense, esp considering their intended use is a few front range deep days and Targhee, Jackson, Big Sky, Sun Valley. Skiing with my kiddo too.

Did find a screaming deal on K2 108s at Corbett’s but they run heavy and truer to tape (thx for that info). Like to minimize chance of knee injury that can occur running long. That was one reason why I was thinking going light (Rustler/Ripstick Black/Poss QST) but long.

Very intrigued by QST 106s but 2020s spendy vs other options. I just spent $7K on a new espresso grinder and machine, trying to keep off the couch. :roflmao:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lol at the expresso machine! You’ll be able to handle wider skis with all that caffeine! :roflmao:

There were deals on the QST 106 at Corbetts that included bindings that you could not include but all are sold out I see now. Same with the 172cm Rustler 11(longer sizes available) and Rustler 10 all gone.

Honestly think the Mindbender 108Ti might be the best bet for your use and with the longer rocker of these skis, K2 sizing will be perfect. A 181cm Ripstick 106, 180cm Rustler 10 or 174cm QST 106 would still be less stable in crud or at speed than a 172cm K2 MB 108Ti. The width is between the two Rustlers so a bit more versatile and the MB 108Ti floats above it’s width in powder. Could bring it out with even a “bit of snow” days and it would fun even on groomers. Weight is lighter, flex pattern is softer and has deeper rocker profiles than your Enforcers so it’s definitely easier to ski but not too light that it’s a pushover in crud. Very common to move the mount forward a cm or two on the 108Ti to make them more playful, easier to pivot(K2 factory mount is about 1.5cm behind your Enforcers for reference). If Corbetts still had some 186cm lengths, I’d maybe get a pair for myself.

I find that with insane deals that are currently available now on even great skis, it takes the risk out of buying without demoing first. Worst case you can sell them for what you paid for them or even make money if they aren’t for you.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
One thing I have discovered is there is nothing like a personal demo. Reviewers all have their own perspective and it definitely varies from reviewer to reviewer and most while hitting the mark in some respects certainly differ in some respects to mine. Some examples: what they call burly and unforgiving does not seem so much so to me; what some call stable at speed tells me they have never skied at a very high speed; nobody seems to mention that the Völkl 100-Eight, while it can carve a fine turn on groomers it will not carve a high-g turn on groomers. Sure the rip-stick 96 will get knocked around a bit in cut up crud, but it's manageable, and while it does not have that rock stable massive reassuring presence on groomed runs at high speeds (like a speed ski) it will still do what it's told to do. You need to do your research and get to know the reviewers tendencies by comparing their reviews of different skis you have skied to what you have felt for those same skis.

If you can afford that espresso machine, you can certainly afford to purchase any of the contenders, then sell at a small loss and consider it a demo fee.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And some of us will stand in line to get your rejects.... :popcorn:

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
What about Fischer 102 FR? I don't have any personal experience with it, but was very interested in it's highly reviewed 94 FR. The 102s seem to have what you are seeking.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What about Fischer 102 FR? I don't have any personal experience with it, but was very interested in it's highly reviewed 94 FR. The 102s seem to have what you are seeking.
Lost me at "So, after my first run, I detuned the whole ski, taking a coarse diamond stone to the tips and tails, and then running a soft gummy stone over the whole length of the ski. The ski felt much more versatile and intuitive after this detune, and I ended up further detuning the tails to make them easier to release. "

I'm still considering it as a front runner for my tree/deep snow ski. Now if only someone would put it on sale for 75% off. ;)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have the Enforcer 104 and purchased a pair of Fisher 102 FR aa well that I purchased at 40% off(not 75% frown face...lol) while on a ski trip in Utah because my Dynastar Menace 98s were too much work off piste.

The Fisher 102FR are a similar shaped ski to the Enforcers but they are lighter, have less taper and less tail rocker and are stiffer throughout. The Enforcer 104 even with their heavier weight are more forgiving and are easier to pivot in tight spots. The Fisher is the more precise carver with better edge grip and a higher speed limit, the Enforcers are more damp and easier to ski especially in bumps or rough terrain.
Agree that the Fisher is a ski that @François Pugh would enjoy! Rips high speed turns and have had mine above 60mph without drama. Even though they are only 19m radius vs the 18.5m of the Enforcer in my 184/186cm lengths, the Fisher is happier going straight at speed.

Both have fantastic shaped tips that easily glide over crud and both float well in powder for their widths. Fisher is more demanding of proper form so it’s the opposite of the OP wants of the new ski though. Mindbender 108Ti or QST 106 the skis that are the “next step easier” over the Enforcer I think.

BTW-The Fisher 102FR and 94FR share a similar shape and flex but the 94FR is quite a bit lighter so not quite as good in rough terrain as the 102FR. Both great skis though.

My Fishers did have a “grabby tune” as well from the factory and I re-retuned the uneven edges without detuning and they were way better. They still need a stone grind to fix a bit of edge high spots tip and tail but were skiable after redoing the edges properly. Guess their machine edge finishing at the factory needs some tweaking.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Taz - The original 2 - 3 choices you have here in the 10something category are top contenders. IMO and as some are chiming in the Fisher Free is worth a look before the R11.

My observations having skied all three of the 19-20 below and a disclaimer, my DD is the RS Black 96 and just recently added the regular RS 106 not the RS 106 Black.

The lineups
For 20/21 The Ripstick black goes away ( for now ) and regular RS gets a bit stronger with an added carbon stringer going forward.
The Blizzard freeride changes as well and both the Rustler 10 and 11 get a bit heavier and slightly damper as Blizzard swings the pendulum for the next 2 year cycle.

A better comparison, and you are correct would be the 19/20 RS B 106 to the rustler 10 in terms of versatility and playfulness vs the rustler 11 that is more of a big line charger. Given your stated size and stats I would think the 11 would be used 10-15% of the time at most.

The RS lineup is quite strong and punches above its weight in all but cut up midday and afternoon conditions for having no metal vs the Rustler with metal. Think Finesse vs charging
As always Demo if possible as suggested but as I found the RS B was not available anywhere for demo. The RS B reviews and a shop fondling was enough to say mount them up for me. I grabbed a pair of the regular RS 106 for a 50/50 resort / tour pair but don’t overlook them and you should be able to demo them. I don’t think they get the love here they deserve but if they work for Plake and Egan along with others I know who can crush all that Jackson and Big Sky have to offer they just might work for you.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Lost me at "So, after my first run, I detuned the whole ski, taking a coarse diamond stone to the tips and tails, and then running a soft gummy stone over the whole length of the ski. The ski felt much more versatile and intuitive after this detune, and I ended up further detuning the tails to make them easier to release. "

I'm still considering it as a front runner for my tree/deep snow ski. Now if only someone would put it on sale for 75% off. ;)

There's also the 115 version. :)

TS
T

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Lol thx much all. I kind of blew my toy budget on non-ski caffeine related items so I’ve got wiggle room for (LOL MAYBE) one pair of discounted skis I’ll toss in the basement corner behind our other skis and hope the missus doesn't notice. She’s from jersey so I’m trying to avoid being fitted with a pair of cement shoes and tossed off a bridge into a river.

I would be all over demo day but all epic and ikon resorts have been shut down for weeks. Recent rumor Breck would open as a test but that got shut down. Be great if @vailresorts gets on the ball and announces what they’re going to do for pass holders like @ikonpass but that’s a minor rant not germane to the discussion.

Have to balance out timing and the deal. Could wait longer but as @GregK stated with the QSTs at corbetts, size may be unavailable if you wait. So you have to triangulate off multiple data points from reputable shops, friends/family and knowledgeable people here, take all with grain of salt. If there’s enough confluence, ski hits the list of candidates. Also as @François Pugh said, have to pull the trigger at some point, hope you get a good enough deal so if it doesn’t work out you can break even hopefully.

With the enforcer 94s I think 102-110 is the underfoot width I'm going after. Going wider doesn’t make much sense unless the family relocates.

@GregK evo Denver is very big on the Enforcer 104 too, recommended it over the 94 actually. I don’t think I’ve skied without full metal for a long time which is why I was looking at partial or none. Kind of a not cheap experiment but you never know.

@François Pugh Skiessentials has the 102FR (all sizes) on sale for $405, with the pugski discount comes in at $365 shipped. Not too shabby. Also sis-in-law (lives in Jackson, mad skills) skis the 100eight W on piste and in the trees, loves it. I’ll check out both, though I had Mantra M5s this season and thought they were ok. Much prefer the Enforcer 93/94.

@BS Slarver appreciate the additional data points. Did read up on the 20/21 RipstIck. Be interesting to see what Elan does if/when they bring the Black back.

I am wondering what prices will look like in another 2-4 weeks.

Sponsor