• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@SecretAgentMan really the worst scenario?? I'm thinking it's because you can't keep up with the women, maybe you ski out of control? you have to 'behave"- you're right keep that attitude away from me and my GF"s not to worry, you'd get dusted by the some of the ladies I ski with, me included.

Groups can be fun as long as they are safe and not out of control. If I do ski in a group I'm usually in the front of the pack or the back.I have an extreme fear of getting taken out by the show offs so far they've all been men showing off.

The groups of ladies and guys I ski with welcome tips to ski better and we always have a sweeper to keep track of slower skiers.

And if it's really too many people I'm known for going the wrong way- (ski fast enough to get out of their sight and duck down that black/dbl black) usually I'll wait at the lift.
I hate all the standing around.. which way shall we go? oh I forgot to pee. Oh let's get a cocoa. standing around drives me nuts.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, I like skiing with people. That's the main reason I'm here! I like to ski with a well matched group, but I also enjoy skiing a run or two with anyone. Heck, I even skied with TwoChordCool!
(I'm talking in-bounds here, responding to the somewhat asocial drift I am seeing in this thread.... out of bounds is a whole different ball of wax.)

Usually a group of 3 or 4 is ideal, sometimes 5. With people who have skied together many times and know what to expect of each other, you can even add a couple more.

Significantly bigger groups can work under limited circumstances -- you need to be a little more structured with a leader in front and a sweeper at the end. And move down the hill as a series of subgroups, regrouping periodically, not one big lump. It's not something I'd want all, day, but it can be good on a limited basis or under special circumstances.

At the Gatherings, we typically start in too-large groups but they settle out on their own. I've been known to say, "this group is too big, lets split it." Or some will want to look for bumps or steeps or trees, and others won't. History says, it works out.

I respectfully have to disagree. Skiing in a group can be so much fun.
Especially when its a bit of a mix.
And especially when the women are part of the group.
I generally do ski trips with our ski club, and in a club there are many levels of ability. It usually divides itself into small compacts of like minded skiers of similar abilities. There is no compromising. We came to ski, and thats what we do. Someone will act as leader, the rest will follow. We all ski to the best of our abilities.
We are men, not boneheads and idiots. We do behave ourselves. We do not ski like we are a rebel motorcycle club, we do not take stupid risks. We are too old for that. That doesn't preclude us from skiing hard and fast, and grinning too. Most all of us , the women included , are instructors or have been at one time or are just qualified as instructors .
A lot of times , skiers of lesser abilities will join us. Which we welcome. Its always fun to help people up their game, and everyone is a winner.
Its nice to share good times, with others that were there with you. Somebody will have your back if things get sticky, which you can't do when you're alone.

I’m in line with these two posts and also very much enjoy group skiing most times. The folks posting on this site are generally gracious and accomplished enough to be looking out for each other, rather than causing problems. I’ve informally led ski groups of family and friends all my life. I’ve also led a few groups at various national and regional Gatherings. Leading a sizable, mixed-ability group of approx 8 or more can be harder than you’d imagine. It can quickly make you realize your knowledge gaps about a mountain’s subtle variations in terrain difficulty, or quirky chairlift placements. I’m considering trying-out for a mountain host job this spring so I need to study this thread:)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do not like skiing in groups or with even 1 other person because I am a lone wolf and want to do it 100% my way 100% of the time. Skiing in groups requires compromise. Skiing with groups that include women is the absolute worst scenario. You must behave yourself and if you ski your best women will give you the cold shoulder because you are showing off. Ain't no 2 ways about it. One Man Band is the only way to go skiing.

Well, there's a little window into your soul.

Let me speak for the women of Pugski and say, thank you for avoiding us. :roflmao:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do not like skiing in groups or with even 1 other person because I am a lone wolf and want to do it 100% my way 100% of the time. Skiing in groups requires compromise. Skiing with groups that include women is the absolute worst scenario. You must behave yourself and if you ski your best women will give you the cold shoulder because you are showing off. Ain't no 2 ways about it. One Man Band is the only way to go skiing.

Well you sturred that pot. :nono::nono:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There are definitely male skiers who have issues with female skiers. One guy at our lesson club tries to avoid skiing with an examiner and erstwhile big mountain competitor... because she's female. When I get stuck skiing with him, not only is he ... let's just say lacking in social graces ... but he consistently gets himself in over his head.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Well, there's a little window into your soul.
Let's take a deeper look into that window. When I become leader of the world things are going to change. You know how golf has separate tees for men and women because women can't drive the ball as far as men? Separate tees is correct. I might decide to pass a law mandating separate golf courses for men and women. You heard me. Man-only golf courses.

Skiing? Every top-tier ski area in America will display a large portrait of a famous male skier from America's past over the entrance to the main lodge/chalet. There will be about 20-30 top-tier ski resorts. Whose portrait will be displayed at Aspen Mountain? I can give you a hint. He was accidentally shot and killed by a French woman.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let's take a deeper look into that window. When I become leader of the world things are going to change. You know how golf has separate tees for men and women because women can't drive the ball as far as men? Separate tees is correct. I might decide to pass a law mandating separate golf courses for men and women. You heard me. Man-only golf courses.

Skiing? Every top-tier ski area in America will display a large portrait of a famous male skier from America's past over the entrance to the main lodge/chalet. There will be about 20-30 top-tier ski resorts. Whose portrait will be displayed at Aspen Mountain? I can give you a hint. He was accidentally shot and killed by a French woman.
And what famous male skier will be displayed at this resort?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And what famous male skier will be displayed at this resort?

61zTC-xdO1L._SL1000_.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That moment when Coalition Snow's April Fools Day press release doesn't seem like such a terrible idea.

LOL I was going to predict that (if it were true) men (some men) would bitch about not being included, but that's covered in the PR ;-)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In Toronto, there is The Ladies Golf Club of Toronto. By ladies and for ladies. Men are allowed there as guests, and recently men have been allowed memberships, but only as seasonal guest card holders. Renewals are decided upon by voting of the ladies , so the men cant be total asshats if they ever want to return.

https://ladiesgolfclub.com/about

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You're lost. TGR is in another part of the internet. Go re-join your kind.

I've never felt the desire for an Ignore function on Pugski until today.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, OK, OK. There is 1 woman with whom I would ski. In fact, I want to ski with her and am thinking about calling her up on the tele and asking her if she wants to ski Aspen Mountain with me. Her name is Nicky.
Wow, some fun ... oh wait wrong sister, Nicky doesn't ski, she's a snowboarder! Sorry dude. My bad!
images-1.jpg
b3684a7cad80e36e54201f0b958774ca--aspen-colorado-paris-hilton.jpg
images-2.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online