• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a bit of a reality check recently.
Because I ski with @Philpug and @Andy Mink almost exclusively, I find myself getting into a rut of where we ski and how we ski.
Last week Phil and I bumped into an instructor friend who happens to be a trainer. Marcel was getting back on snow after a knee injury and wanted to "slow it down" to get his legs under him. I found that following his slow pace and smooth movements was just what I needed to get out of my rut of chasing Phil and Andy.
Today, we skied with @Jed Peters @Rich Peters @4ster @Rainbow Jenny and @LouD-Truckee. Although 4ster was skiing a faster pace than Marcel was the week prior, I found that following him did the did the same thing for my balance.
Yes! Following someone who is rhythmic and not at quite such a blistering pace is great! I did ski with a former racer last week (female) who is my age and is a GREAT skier, and I followed her lines as closely as I could. It was great! Of course, good snow always helps, and we did have that. I think one of my issues at my home mountain is I'm very aware of my "things that need work" and so are most of the instructors. So, I tend to feel very self-conscious all the time, which takes the "free" out of "free skiing". Once my brain is focused on something else other than having fun, the whole shit show starts.

And skiing with @4ster is always a treat! I'm sure he'll be back this way soon...JP opened today! Earliest opening ever.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tell me about it!

Perhaps women are safer partners outside the resort boundary. I wouldn’t know as I don’t go there.

Inbound, I found a group of random guys more supportive than a group of random women, which inevitably have a few alphas.

This.

I remember going on a ski trip with some women and it was brutally cold. Ridiculously, much-below-zero, New England cold. And windy. Around the third day I just didn’t want to be out there....I had been sick the night before with no sleep......I wanted to be by the fire reading a book. But I succumbed to peer pressure, and soon after, ended up in ski patrol, under heat lamps to warm my body temperature up past 95. It was my fault for not holding my ground, but they also didn’t listen when I got off the lift (after a very long and cold chairlift ride) and told them I didn’t feel well and needed an easy way down. They skied off without me and left me at the top alone.

My experience with mixed groups has been way better. I think some women can be more competitive and catty than men.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't mind skiing with a group, sometimes it can be fun and it's nice to know someone has my back, well maybe. Besides, if the group isn't working out it's easy enough to ditch them and do my own thing, meet them later for lunch or après ski.

On mogul and some tree runs, I'll often gravitate toward following a group of competent skiers who are almost always far better then me at picking a line.

Trail running is where I'm best to avoid groups, much too easy to over do it and end up blowing a gasket! Shame because I actually enjoy trail running with a group and there is a really good one at my local park.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I’ve skimmed this thread... two thoughts:

When I lead small groups or gathering groups around Stowe I usually oversell terrain — ie, Goat trail is steep narrow bumps to the bottom. There’s no getting out early once you’re in, etc., as opposed to saying “it’s a long bump run”. Usually I get “that wasn’t as bad as you made it sound” which I consider an improvement over “get me the f—- outta here!”

I’ve definitely been in groups of varying origin (ski clubs, gatherings, whatever) that turned into dick-waving contests. I would rather ski something well than skiing something “epic” poorly. I’m a decent enough skier that I can ski most anything without endangering myself, but just hacking my way down doesn’t provide the emotional high (for lack of a better phrase) that ripping an easier slope does.

So once it turns into one up-man-ship... I don’t ski for you. I ski for me.

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
I don't mind skiing with a group, sometimes it can be fun and it's nice to know someone has my back, well maybe. Besides, if the group isn't working out it's easy enough to ditch them and do my own thing, meet them later for lunch or après ski.

On mogul and some tree runs, I'll often gravitate toward following a group of competent skiers who are almost always far better then me at picking a line.

I do not like skiing in groups or with even 1 other person because I am a lone wolf and want to do it 100% my way 100% of the time. Skiing in groups requires compromise. Skiing with groups that include women is the absolute worst scenario. You must behave yourself and if you ski your best women will give you the cold shoulder because you are showing off. Ain't no 2 ways about it. One Man Band is the only way to go skiing.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Back in my ski club days, we considered 4 to be the optimal group size - enough to have a party-like atmosphere, but small enough that nobody really had to wait for anybody else. At least that's what we came up with for mid-week club trips to Mammoth, YMMV.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do not like skiing in groups or with even 1 other person because I am a lone wolf and want to do it 100% my way 100% of the time. Skiing in groups requires compromise. Skiing with groups that include women is the absolute worst scenario. You must behave yourself and if you ski your best women will give you the cold shoulder because you are showing off. Ain't no 2 ways about it. One Man Band is the only way to go skiing.

I respectfully have to disagree. Skiing in a group can be so much fun.
Especially when its a bit of a mix.
And especially when the women are part of the group.
I generally do ski trips with our ski club, and in a club there are many levels of ability. It usually divides itself into small compacts of like minded skiers of similar abilities. There is no compromising. We came to ski, and thats what we do. Someone will act as leader, the rest will follow. We all ski to the best of our abilities.
We are men, not boneheads and idiots. We do behave ourselves. We do not ski like we are a rebel motorcycle club, we do not take stupid risks. We are too old for that. That doesn't preclude us from skiing hard and fast, and grinning too. Most all of us , the women included , are instructors or have been at one time or are just qualified as instructors .
A lot of times , skiers of lesser abilities will join us. Which we welcome. Its always fun to help people up their game, and everyone is a winner.
Its nice to share good times, with others that were there with you. Somebody will have your back if things get sticky, which you can't do when you're alone.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Skiing with groups that include women is the absolute worst scenario.

Based on what you've said, I'm sure they're terribly disappointed they can't ski with you. I sure am.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

I mean I practically met my wife by as you say "Showing off" maybe your hijinks endangers others it just isnt fun?

If I dont ski with my wife I do stupid things like take 20 bump runs in row, and then come up and sleep for 14 hours.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Unlike graham, I'm going to disrespectfully disagree. Are you serious? With this attitude I'm pretty sure they're giving you the cold shoulder for other reasons.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
i find any group larger than what fills a chair is too big if you want to do some serious skiing.
Larger groups are fun but then it's more about the socializing. Can't say one or the other has ever harmed me.
There is always some one better, faster, or more willing to take life altering risks but it's never influenced my skiing.
Could be why i'm still skiing and many of my friends no longer can.

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Based on what you've said, I'm sure they're terribly disappointed they can't ski with you. I sure am.
OK, OK, OK. There is 1 woman with whom I would ski. In fact, I want to ski with her and am thinking about calling her up on the tele and asking her if she wants to ski Aspen Mountain with me. Her name is Nicky.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing with groups that include women is the absolute worst scenario. You must behave yourself and if you ski your best women will give you the cold shoulder because you are showing off. Ain't no 2 ways about it.

Dude, ou are hanging out with the wrong women. :nono:

Sponsor

Staff online