• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RTM 84 vs. GT 84

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for a longer radius carver with some soft snow chops to, and these two from Volkl and Nordica seem to float to the top of the list.

Anybody have any opinions on how the two compare, and their relative strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Possible weakness of the RTM is going in the trees. I don't have one but my SO does and last week in Tahoe he found them not terribly compliant in trees so he stuck to the groomers. That aside he loves, loves, loves them. Great hard snow ski but handles a few inches of soft snow too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The GT84 is much more solid and a direct feel to the snow. I do find the RTM84 to be a bit more playful and out of these two, definately a bit easlier. I know you are smitten with your Monster 88's, are these to replace them or ad along? If add along, I am not sure they are different enough.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Wait for the 18-19 Monster 88. ogsmile

Honestly, if you're in love with the Monster 88, I don't know that the RTM is what you're looking for. Really nice ski, but seems you might go more performance carving or non-FIS GS. Maybe a Rebels iRace....

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guys, thanks for the input. I never did pull the trigger on the Monster 88s, but am waiting anxiously for the reviews on the new version.

I'm still looking for the unicorn ski for hauling ass with "the boys". It's gotta leave trenches, and still be good off-piste in a little fresh, and always moguls.

Likely just spitballing for now, until 2019 reviews drop, so who knows?! Prices on the RTM 84 and GT 84 are dropping, but I'm going to wait for awhile, yet.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Guys, thanks for the input. I never did pull the trigger on the Monster 88s, but am waiting anxiously for the reviews on the new version.

I'm still looking for the unicorn ski for hauling ass with "the boys". It's gotta leave trenches, and still be good off-piste in a little fresh, and always moguls.

Likely just spitballing for now, until 2019 reviews drop, so who knows?! Prices on the RTM 84 and GT 84 are dropping, but I'm going to wait for awhile, yet.

If you can't get the Monster 88 to do everything you describe, time to get some input on your skiing. ogsmile

(The new 88 is like the lovechild of the 16-17 M88 (3/4) and the current Titan (1/4)... 16.5 radius in a 177. Very smooth, great edge grip, powerful, etc... didn't feel the need for a 184 even.)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah get a Monster 88.....

No reason to look at either the GT84 or RTM 84.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can't get the Monster 88 to do everything you describe, time to get some input on your skiing. ogsmile

(The new 88 is like the lovechild of the 16-17 M88 (3/4) and the current Titan (1/4)... 16.5 radius in a 177. Very smooth, great edge grip, powerful, etc... didn't feel the need for a 184 even.)

That's a little scary. In my earlier post, I typed, then deleted "after two days of skiing groomers, corn and moguls in Sun Valley on my Titans then old Fire Arrow Pros, I almost think a 181 Titan would fill the bill."

So your description of the new Monster seems exactly what I'm looking for. And I can get them from my favorite small ski shop. All I'll need to know next fall is where to mount them, which I'm sure you guys will have figured out by then.

Provided I don't fall into analysis paralysis between them and the Fischer Pro Mountain 86s. But it's so nice to buy locally in a small town.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Take this with a grain of salt since I am neither an expert in recommending skis nor a L3 instructor but I skied both next year's Monster 88 and this year's RTM 84 (unchanged) on the same day two days ago. The Monster 88 has a stronger tail and kick out of the turn so I would suspect that the RTM 84 is going to be easier to ski in moguls. Unfortunately, I did not get the Monster 88 in moguls like I did some of the other skis I tested. I think it would do well, just be a little more demanding and less tolerant of mistakes. I think they are both terrific skis with the Monster 88 being a little more serious.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Kyle. I skied the "old" Monster 88 (before any early rise or tip softening) and loved it everywhere but groomers, where I was wishing for a bit more sidecut, which it sounds like the new version will bring to the table.

Boy that M88 was SO smooth everywhere. It felt like it had suspension.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I can't offer any comparison of the two,
But, I skied the RTM84s, 177cm in todays foot of light and fresh.
We have had over 50 inches in the past seven days.

Covered over big bumps, 8 inches over groomers both early cream and late day crud.
Trees and all sorts of tight places.

Not a complaint to be made. The shovels float enough. I weigh 160#, The RTM 84 may be a bit soft for the most demanding moments, mostly they just work.

Sponsor

Staff online