• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Royal Wedding Yes or No?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't understand.

Even formally, if we are talking about an aggregate with provably distinct instances why should it not be LSATs? Each one of the contemporaries took an LSAT, but unless they all took the LSAT at the same time, in the aggregate they took LSATs? I don't really see it being significantly different than builds of a given operating system? Different but specific concretes are specified for different engineered uses?

There seems to be something more than a little religious about insistence that provably distinct instances are actually the same. As if it was a baptism rite or something.

Sure, but that isn't how it is always used. "How'd you do on your LSATs?" is asked of one person, who took the test only one time. I'm not defending it one way or the other, just replying that I have heard it.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
The. LSAT. I have never heard LSATs.

How did you do on the LSAT?

What is your LSAT score?

LSATs does not make any sense to me.

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The. LSAT. I have never heard LSATs.

How did you do on the LSAT?

What is your LSAT?

LSATs does not make any sense to me.

I wonder if this is a regional thing. If I had to guess, out of the blue, it came out of some weird thing having to do with the medical boards, which are plural. But I don't think you take all the sections at the same time.

oops: the comments didn't show up:

yashdes 12 points 1 year ago

SATs, ACTs, MCATs. All of those are in common usage.

• Ah, I've never heard them before. Thanks for the reply.
    • V2BlastAttorney at Law 3 points 1 year ago

Yeah. They're incorrect in the sense that the acronym is actually singular, but that's how people often say it.

"Our hero, former pot dealer Mike Ross (Patrick J. Adams), actually "deserves" his chance in a way that his Harvard-educated peers don't: He is so brilliant that he takes the LSATs under false names for money, and must remember to get some answers wrong because too many perfect scores would stir suspicion. He has memorized the major legal encyclopedias and even understands the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. ...." https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...at-downton-abbey-does-for-aristocrats/267280/

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife turned it on and I thought no way, but it was actually pretty interesting. I liked all of the vintage English cars dropping off the wedding party and guests.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm no lawyer, but always heard LSATs, so it doesn't sound odd to me. Like the SATs or the GMATs, the GREs, and the ACTs. I admit when the GMAT was the ATSGB, that was never pluralized. Maybe if I was a lawyer it would bug me, but I'm not and it sounds like all the others to me.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
1 Kid wasn't yawning he was just standing open mouthed with surprise at the trumpet fanfare that had just kicked off - maybe right near him

2 Yanni. But depends on the frequency register you hear best or bias toward

3 LSATs/ LSAT who cares? You guys can't get Maths right and yet coin a plural like bangs to describe a singular feature of a hairstyle so I'm not sure anyone is a reliable witness on use of the plural

James

Out There
Instructor

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Observation about the Harry & Meghan's wedding. It was the same weekend that the Royals hosted the Yankees. (The Yanks won 2 of the 3.) Someone in Buckingham Palace is a secret MLB fan.

James

Out There
Instructor
Observation about the Harry & Meghan's wedding. It was the same weekend that the Royals hosted the Yankees. (The Yanks won 2 of the 3.) Someone in Buckingham Palace is a secret MLB fan.
Good one!
Of course the Royals are the upstart commoners in that scenario...

Sponsor

Staff online