• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Royal Wedding Yes or No?

James

Out There
Instructor
He wasn't yawning....been around 7 yr olds lately that are missing their 2 front teeth!! That's one big smile and OMG! He looks so much like his father Ben.
He was yawning! Forever...
But here's Prince William yawning in 1986 at the wedding of Prince Andrew/Sarah Ferguson
IMG_5244.JPG

James

Out There
Instructor
Why did Harry drive a left hand Jag to the 2nd reception? And 2nd wedding dress by Stella McCartney. Nice color though.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
More interested in the triple crown because today is Preakness day.

Dood! Black eyed susans!

BBs are really pretty indestructible now too aren't they...

'zackly. I didn't ride my Lemond 'coz steel and the fork gets leopard spots, but the Gary Fisher doesn't care. Thunder and lightning very very frightening? Hah!

INDY 500 QUALIFYING.....YES.

You betcha that last 20 mins was awesome and that last departing shot of Pippa gutted was just ... modern epic.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I've never been interested in the Royals but I LOVE the show Suits and love Meghan in it. Perhaps because in some ways my career story follows Rachel Zane's as I begin law school in the fall (although I HATE that they call the exam the LSATs in the show as it isn't plural, it is the LSAT!) Perhaps because I've been to Windsor Castle and had to change a work training I had scheduled to conduct this week less than 10 miles from Windsor. Anyhow, because of that I've been more interested than I normally would be. I didn't give a damn about Prince William and Kate's wedding.

I certainly didn't wake up early to watch but encountered the same link Tricia did and so I've had it on this evening. I agree with @James that the boy was yawning. Definitely yawning. I like the fact that they drove the lefthand drive Jaguar. It's like a perfect representation of them and their respect of the environment and the joining of a Brit and an American.

James

Out There
Instructor
They're not celebs, they're royals. Though Meghan is now a converted minor celeb.

More on the Mulroney twins.

Ok, they're pretty cute. But...was someone else at least in the car in charge of the two?? In case they lost more teeth that fell out all over the wedding dress? Or they decide to try out their new pocket knives on the veil?...
IMG_5245.JPG

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/05/19/mulroney-twins-royal-wedding_a_23438632/

http://www.newsweek.com/brian-john-mulroney-royal-wedding-935400

although I HATE that they call the exam the LSATs in the show as it isn't plural, it is the LSAT!)
You need to get over that. Everyone I've ever known calls it the LSATs. No one said it's plural, it's just easier to say in a sentence. Ask a lawyer...ogsmile In the East anyway, where Suits takes place.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You need to get over that. Everyone I've ever known calls it the LSATs. No one said it's plural, it's just easier to say in a sentence. Ask a lawyer...ogsmile In the East anyway, where Suits takes place.

I actually had this conversation with a couple of my future professors last week. They all agreed with me. In all the reading I've done it is always LSAT. It is the Law School Admission Test. One test. Why else would they add an "s"? It's not possessive either. Google "LSATs" and every result comes up with "LSAT". My attorney boss is from the east. He says LSAT. Several friends are attorneys from the east. LSAT. In all my conversations with attorneys, which are numerous nobody has called it the LSATs. How is it easier to say LSATs vs. LSAT in a sentence?

https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat
https://www.google.com/search?q=lsa.....69i57j0l5.1316j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
:roflmao:
I'm not into the pomp and circumstance of traditional weddings, which is why we did what we did for ours.
I knew this royal wedding was happening but didn't have a clue what time.
Still haven't turned the tv on today.

Yeah, who needs pomp and ceremony when you can get married at a ski resort during the middle of a snowstorm instead. :golfclap:

James

Out There
Instructor
I actually had this conversation with a couple of my future professors last week. They all agreed with me. In all the reading I've done it is always LSAT. It is the Law School Admission Test. One test. Why else would they add an "s"? It's not possessive either. Google "LSATs" and every result comes up with "LSAT". My attorney boss is from the east. He says LSAT. Several friends are attorneys from the east. LSAT. In all my conversations with attorneys, which are numerous nobody has called it the LSATs. How is it easier to say LSATs vs. LSAT in a sentence?

https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat
https://www.google.com/search?q=lsa.....69i57j0l5.1316j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I think they use both. The show got it right. Do we have a clip where they use it?

Can go like this:
"When are you taking the LSATs?"
"I got __ on the LSAT."
"I got __ on the LSATs"
"F**ng LSATs!"

People use to say the same with SAT's.
Btw, I use " 's" for pronunciation, not plurality or possesion.

Clearly more research is needed. You're leading and biasing the witnesses.

Edit:
Look a law disvussion forum uses both: (from 2006, but...your witness.) 1st page of google.

dumb people and LSATs

"If there's one thing we've all learned, it's that if you do well on the LSATs, it means just that - that you did well on the LSAT. Of course, reasonable people can disagree on what an LSAT score indicates, not least of which is whether it points to future law school performance.

That said, do you guys know any really really dumb people who just, somehow, miraculously do well on the LSATs? I know one too many... For example, there's this guy, who, if you spoke with him, you'd be sure is a neanderthal. Somehow, he took a practice LSAT and scored almost perfect. Same thing for another girl in one of my classes who always raises her hand and says innane things that make people turn around and glare at her. (She also got into Columbia yesterday - not URM.) It's frustrating! Of course, there are definitely GPA/LSAT splitters, e.g., people who are smart but don't try hard in school. But sometimes, I'm just baffled by people who, not to be mean, i definitely think are a bit lacking in the brain department but hit 170+..."

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think they use both. The show got it right. Do we have a clip where they use it?
"When are you taking the LSATs?"
"I got __ on the LSAT."
"I got __ on the LSATs"
"F**ng LSATs!"

People use to say the same with SAT's.
Btw, I use " 's" for pronunciation, not plurality or possession.

Clearly more research is needed. You're leading and biasing the witnesses.

Wait, "s" for pronunciation? I don't comprehend. I'm calling in the expert. @SBrown is adding an "s" to a word a proper pronunciation maneuver? Trying to come up with a skiing equivalent but haven't been successful. I'm pretty sure people don't talk about taking the PSIA or PSIAs as it's the PSIA level X exam.

Who is "they"? Just because Joe Blow or TV Writer uses the "s" doesn't make it right. Nobody, attorneys or not, ever asked me when I was taking the LSATs. Nobody asked me what I got on the LSATs. Seriously, I have NEVER heard it called LSATs until this show and I lived and breathed the LSAT for a long time. The only person who called it the LSATs was a German attorney who didn't have to take the LSAT and who only knew what it was because he had watched the show. :)

It's a damn good thing that this debate means exactly nothing in the big picture. :beercheer:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Of more relevance in England today was Chelsea sticking it to Man U in the FA Cup final. I did wonder why the Royals weren’t there to present the trophy. I guess Harry is already under the thumb

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait, "s" for pronunciation? I don't comprehend. I'm calling in the expert. @SBrown is adding an "s" to a word a proper pronunciation maneuver? Trying to come up with a skiing equivalent but haven't been successful. I'm pretty sure people don't talk about taking the PSIA or PSIAs as it's the PSIA level X exam.

Who is "they"? Just because Joe Blow or TV Writer uses the "s" doesn't make it right. Nobody, attorneys or not, ever asked me when I was taking the LSATs. Nobody asked me what I got on the LSATs. Seriously, I have NEVER heard it called LSATs until this show and I lived and breathed the LSAT for a long time. The only person who called it the LSATs was a German attorney who didn't have to take the LSAT and who only knew what it was because he had watched the show. :)

It's a damn good thing that this debate means exactly nothing in the big picture. :beercheer:
I edited my post, go look. Law School Discussion forum. Uses LSATs and LSAT. Right in the title. The thread itself degenerates and I guess got moderated to death.

Btw, @SBrown is my expert... We haven't discussed this matter yet and as such she's not authorized to yet, and certainly not to agree with you. Who am I? Guiliani?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(I have heard it said both ways, btw. I even studied for it about 25 years ago; ie, it's been a long time since my own contemporaries were taking those damn LSATs. I was on the East Coast during that time, which perhaps means something. And I agree that yes, formally it should be LSAT. But that doesn't mean some people don't say something different. Ever eaten at Chipolte? I have, apparently...)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
(I have heard it said both ways, btw. I even studied for it about 25 years ago; ie, it's been a long time since my own contemporaries were taking those damn LSATs. I was on the East Coast during that time, which perhaps means something. And I agree that yes, formally it should be LSAT.

I don't understand.

Even formally, if we are talking about an aggregate with provably distinct instances why should it not be LSATs? Each one of the contemporaries took an LSAT, but unless they all took the LSAT at the same time, in the aggregate they took LSATs? I don't really see it being significantly different than builds of a given operating system? Different but specific concretes are specified for different engineered uses?

There seems to be something more than a little religious about insistence that provably distinct instances are actually the same. As if it was a baptism rite or something.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
As if it was a baptism rite or something.
With the LSAT's, it is. You come out of the water blessed or cursed.

(Punctuation by Yanni)
Btw, hth do people get "Yanni" from "Laural"?? Not even close.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Three things

Yes, I watched the wedding and liked it.

They're potential attorneys. They argue for a living. So why not start out with an argument about the test?!:huh: Although we're the ones “discussing" it, not them, I guess.

Finally, first I heard only yanny. But if you go to this article and skip down to the tweet that has links to the recording in different pitches, and listen to them you I can hear yanny in some and laurel in others. At least I can. Pretty interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...und-illusion-sets-off-ear-splitting-arguments

Sponsor