• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Roundtop Resort

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any frequent Round Top skiers out there? When I was skiing a lot Round Top was my favorite SnowTime resort over both WhiteTail and Liberty. It’s a little further away but the laid back vibe and the lack of crowds encoraged me to drive the extra 40 minutes or so on the weekends. We would park in the lot by the Minuteman lift right up to the snow. Most of the locals did the same and folks would tailgate throughout the day.

Still the same easy going place to ski or has the Washington beltway types discovered the place? Any real improvents over the last few years?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Still the same easy going place to ski or has the Washington beltway types discovered the place? Any real improvents over the last few years?

Marginal changes - frex there is now a food concession in the downstairs boot/bag lunch area. Snowmaking is improved, they can now do some really fast building on Minuteman and the Fife and Drum area given even a 24 hour window. This is most readily apparent 2nd-3rd week of January, esp. on weekends. Oh, yeh, they also half-groom upper Laffayette's, I think that's new since you last actively posted. Gives it a bit more boulevard feel.

Discovered? Yes and no: Early snow closures at Liberty and WT have meant that RT is the go-to area for giving pass holders their 90 day seasons. Also, Liberty quit doing NASTAR so now RT is the only place to go short of Timberline/CV.

Otherwise, it's much the same as it was.

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
I went to RT spring of '17 and just happened to hit their "Spring Fling" type day with the pond skimming contest, and it was a great time! A beer stand was set up on the snow, people were tailgating in the parking lot, there must have been 35+ skimmers in costumes, a ton of fun. Certainly something you will never see at Liberty or Whitetail.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to RT spring of '17 and just happened to hit their "Spring Fling" type day with the pond skimming contest, and it was a great time! A beer stand was set up on the snow, people were tailgating in the parking lot, there must have been 35+ skimmers in costumes, a ton of fun. Certainly something you will never see at Liberty or Whitetail.

Whitetail actually has a good Pond Skim event, though with the way the resort is set up, it lacks the tail-gating aspect. (And it's in a dry county, so no bar.)

I haven't hit Liberty late in the season like that, so I'm not sure if they do it too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied Roundtop quite a bit in the early 90's when my sister in law went to Dickenson College. It was a really fun little mountain and IMHO it was run very well.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
(And it's in a dry county, so no bar.).
They're working on changing that.

That was changed about 8 years ago or so (maybe even longer than that). There is a bar in the 3rd floor of the lodge. It closes when the area closes though. I think they should keep it open until at least an hour after closing, but what do I know?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(And it's in a dry county, so no bar.).

That was changed about 8 years ago or so (maybe even longer than that). There is a bar in the 3rd floor of the lodge. It closes when the area closes though. I think they should keep it open until at least an hour after closing, but what do I know?
Are you sure you're talking about Whitetail?

Sponsor

Staff online