• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Round--smeary --low edge angle mogul skis

DavidA

Booting up
Skier
Dawg, Phil et al.,

When I read Dawg's review of the new MX 84--my sense is that he said this is ski is an 11 out of 10 on all key measures--with the exception of bumps--where maybe it was a 7 to 9, i.e. accommodates bumps just fine versus wow on all other measures.

Is this because you are comparing it to a zipper line style and saying that the ideal bump ski would have a shorter turn radius and narrower waist size, e.g. 77 mm's at the waist and 14mm turn radius? Or it because it has metal and is stiffer?

I do not have a zipper line bump style---I am much more smeary, low edge angle and wider round turns in bumps. I would prefer a ski that would be a 10 in the bumps, based on that style and an 8 or 9, in terms of stability at speed, edge hold. I still like metal and prefer traditional camber...not too much rocker.

I skied on the MX 88 and thought they were pretty great in bumps...maybe could come around a little faster. But I still like a solid platform underneath me for variable western, off-piste, conditions...

Does that make any sense? Hope so...Thanks for listening...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Zipper line, true narrow waisted bump skis have turn radius in the 20s, Most are similar to a softer GS ski. Regardless, narrower under foot makes them quicker edge to edge and more nimble making quick corrections as your line and rhythm change with the terrain immediately in front of you.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@david enberg,
The MX's old and new were never meant to play in the bumps. Can they, sure but not do what you are looking for. The best ski that comes to mind for what (I think) you are looking for is the Blizzard Latigo. the shape, along with the bit of early rise in the tip and tail, makes it one of the best all mountain skis that excells in the bumps. The Latigo can be skied zipper line or mortal style, again very playful. Second choice woudl be Scott's Black Majic but the Latigo is money.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Scott The Ski Black was on the tip of my tongue.. nice Swiss Army Ski there.

TS
D

DavidA

Booting up
Skier
Phil--how would a Latino be different than a Head Rally-- both narrow waited--come around fast--the rally is slightly wider underfoot --right. Aren't turn radius similar on both skis?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I thought Latinos were a little fatter around the waist on average.. :duck:

Really though, I believe the Rally is a bit beefier for frontside carving where the Latino is a little softer in the tips and tails to groove through the bumps smoother. .. and with better, more complex rhythms too hahahaha..

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Interestingly enough, most of the kids (teens) I saw recently at Park City practicing for mogul competition were doing so on GS skis...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil--how would a Latino be different than a Head Rally-- both narrow waited--come around fast--the rally is slightly wider underfoot --right. Aren't turn radius similar on both skis?

Put both skis side by side and then look at the profiles with the early rise in the tip and tail then ask how similar they are. The numbers tell the least of the story with these two skis. They are so different, they could coexist in the same quiver.
Interestingly enough, most of the kids (teens) I saw recently at Park City practicing for mogul competition were doing so on GS skis...
Yes, A Hart F17, which has one a few Olympic medals, came out of the mold from their GS ski.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I could keep that music in my head, I'd do fine in the bumps on my 193 Patrons (which are pretty darn good there, if the snow is soft, given their very soft shovels).

@david enberg, I ski a lot of bumps. No zipper line in these old knees anymore! Big, round, smooth turns at moderate speed. With that approach, I can't think of a ski I've owned in a LONG time that wasn't at least decent in bumps. I guess the 181 Fire Arrow 84 EDT and 186 Line Influence 115 did not shine there.

So, skis that have worked fine in bumps for me include Nordica Fire Arrow 80 (turned up tails do not hurt at all), Nordica Steadfast, Nordica Hell & Back, Fischer Motive 95ti, Blizzard G-Force Supersonic, and Head World Cup Rebels i.SL (165s fit anywhere, even if stiff).

Long way of saying that I bet the MX 84s will be fine, if zipper lines aren't the goal. With certainty, they will be 1 better than the MX 83s!

Sponsor