• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossignol Soul 7 HD Top Sheet Intervention

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I picked up a pair of Soul 7 HD’s for super cheap as my future rock ski. They have quite a bit of top sheet issues like the attached photo.

Any recommendations for repair? Not overly concerned with aesthetics, just trying to ensure they don’t get worse.

Attachments

• 44915924-F434-4D2A-BA75-611C6809F8EC.jpeg
    44915924-F434-4D2A-BA75-611C6809F8EC.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 108

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
(Said tongue in cheek - and quoting a post from epic years ago.)

What are you a curator? Ski the tops off of them!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just find some kind of general purpose epoxy at hardware store.
Cut off any lose bits with a boxcutter/razor blade.
The hottip is don't glob it on, you need to do it with layers. Just put on a thin/medium coat that doesn't run or spread out. If it is spreading out, you put on too much.
If you want to build it up; wait until that layer dries to the working state per the instructions, then put on additional coat. If base layer has fully cured hard; you may need to sand a bit to get a texture to adhere a new layer.

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just find some kind of general purpose epoxy at hardware store.
Cut off any lose bits with a boxcutter/razor blade.
The hottip is don't glob it on, you need to do it with layers. Just put on a thin/medium coat that doesn't run or spread out. If it is spreading out, you put on too much.
If you want to build it up; wait until that layer dries to the working state per the instructions, then put on additional coat. If base layer has fully cured hard; you may need to sand a bit to get a texture to adhere a new layer.

Thanks @raytseng

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
A tang file is your friend.

As noted, epoxy will certainly help the existing damage, but to help prevent further damage, knock back all the top edges along the skis. Some skis (like these) are susceptible to the top layer cracking and peeling due to ski edges hitting the top edges. If you cut the top edges back a bit you will reduce the probability of ending up with "big" damage due to the hit.

I do this normally as part of my full sidewall prep on all new skis. I skyver the flashing above the edges, cut back the top sheet with a file, and then scotchbrite the sidewalls until they're smooth to the touch. On my skinny skis I'll even wax the sidewalls when I'm done.

Sponsor

Staff online