• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossignol or Atomic

skiNorbert

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Iam looking for ski boots, my candidates are:

Atomic HAWX PRIME 100
or
Rossignol ALLTRACK PRO 100 X

This will be my first ski boots. I have been many time in store, both of them fit very well on my foots, I feel them comfortable. But I cannot decide. Can anyone have any advice which ones are better? Or which is in what better or worst? Maybe Atomics have less weight. I going to use them for alpine skiing, nothing extra, I skiing for 10 years but not more than one-two weeks in a year. (Maybe after I have own equipment I want to use them more).
Thank you very much!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Iam looking for ski boots, my candidates are:

Atomic HAWX PRIME 100
or
Rossignol ALLTRACK PRO 100 X

This will be my first ski boots. I have been many time in store, both of them fit very well on my foots, I feel them comfortable. But I cannot decide. Can anyone have any advice which ones are better? Or which is in what better or worst? Maybe Atomics have less weight. I going to use them for alpine skiing, nothing extra, I skiing for 10 years but not more than one-two weeks in a year. (Maybe after I have own equipment I want to use them more).
Thank you very much!
The light weight of the Atomic is nice for sure. The Atomic should also have a snugger heel pocket. The Rossi does have a walk feature which makes getting around easier. So, both boots have some plusses...what does your gut..err feet tell you?

TS
S

skiNorbert

Skier
Thank a much for the answers!

Weight: 70kg
Level: advanced (maybe), I go down on black tracks without problem.
Use: Alpine skiing

Maybe my feets go for Rossi.. but it is very same feel, after one-two days of use can change. But I rather choose Atomics because I buying them for skiing not for hütte, so the walk feature is great, but for me the less weight is more valuable. I feel the Rossignols much heavier. At all, how much is important the less weight?
You mentioned the "snugger heel pocket", I never heard of it. Thats a great feature??

Also, I looked for HAWX PRIME 110 S maybe theese have the most comfortable feel of all, but the 110 flex is too much for me (but they said on webpage +-10 flex index is changable, so I can get flex 100), so also these are good candidates maybe.

Iam also measured my foot, its only 96 mm wide and 261 mm long. So far, Iam looked 100 mm boots only. That means shoud I rather look for 98 mm wide boots?

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes - you have quite narrow feet and should be trying 98 mm boots. Have you had a proper shell fit? Watch this Youtube.
If the salesperson doesn't do a shell fit with you they are not competent to sell ski boots. Go elsewhere.
At 261 mm length I suspect you will take a 255 boot for a performance fit.
BTW if a boot fells 'comfortable' right out of the box it will be too large after the liner packs out in a few days, The initial feel should be like a very firm handshake with no pressure points after wearing in the shop for at least 30 minutes.
It is easy to make a boot bigger but impossible to makeit smaller. Many first time boot buyers make the mistake of buying boots that are too large.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes - you have quite narrow feet and should be trying 98 mm boots. Have you had a proper shell fit? There are lots of Youtubes to see how it's done.
If the salesperson doesn't do a shell fit with you they are not competent to sell ski boots. Go elsewhere.
At 261 mm length I suspect you will take a 255 boot for a performance fit.
BTW if a boot fells 'comfortable' right out of the box it will be too large after the liner packs out in a few days, The initial feel should be like a very firm handshake with no pressure points after wearing in the shop for at least 30 minutes.
It is easy to make a boot bigger but impossible to make it smaller. Many first time boot buyers make the mistake of buying boots that are too large.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you working with good boot fitter or just fitting the boot yourself?

With those measurements, you could easily fit in an Atomic Hawx Ultra 25.5 modo, assuming you have a normal instep and nothing else different on a foot. I measure 27.5 and fit in a 26.5

TS
S

skiNorbert

Skier
Thanks a lot! All of these are really very, very helpful answers! I havent been far away from buying too large boots.

Yesterday I have been in a shop and I tried Hawx Ultra (98 mm), Prime (100 mm) and Rossignols (100 mm). After all I stated, how big and wide are the Rossignols for me(Two times I have been very, very close to buy them). So, I think the best for my feet are Hawx Ultra, these are stiff enough (or maybe too) and also I feel some pressure in a front and sideways of ankle. But after some loosening and tightening buckles it became better and better. So I decided to choose them.

The only open question left is the flex index: 100 or 110. So far, I have rent (usually old) boots with unknown flex index (maybe 70-80).
I think I am not a beginner skier, maybe I am at some advanced level, but I have only 65-70kg (~150 lbs), the 100 flex index is for me (at least I think). And I love the black/antracide color of these boots.
The 110 flex variant (Hawx Ultra 110 S) of these boots have almost the same price with better memory fit 3D Gold liner, with changeable flex index (+-10) and changeable forward lean angle (13-15°), but I dont like the red color of boots.
Step upper is the 120 flex index, with also nice black colors, but this is too pricey and too professional for me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks a lot! All of these are really very, very helpful answers! I havent been far away from buying too large boots.

Yesterday I have been in a shop and I tried Hawx Ultra (98 mm), Prime (100 mm) and Rossignols (100 mm). After all I stated, how big and wide are the Rossignols for me(Two times I have been very, very close to buy them). So, I think the best for my feet are Hawx Ultra, these are stiff enough (or maybe too) and also I feel some pressure in a front and sideways of ankle. But after some loosening and tightening buckles it became better and better. So I decided to choose them.

The only open question left is the flex index: 100 or 110. So far, I have rent (usually old) boots with unknown flex index (maybe 70-80).
I think I am not a beginner skier, maybe I am at some advanced level, but I have only 65-70kg (~150 lbs), the 100 flex index is for me (at least I think). And I love the black/antracide color of these boots.
The 110 flex variant (Hawx Ultra 110 S) of these boots have almost the same price with better memory fit 3D Gold liner, with changeable flex index (+-10) and changeable forward lean angle (13-15°), but I dont like the red color of boots.
Step upper is the 120 flex index, with also nice black colors, but this is too pricey and too professional for me.
Remember flexes are not standardized, there is no independent lab that checks the flex of each boot, they are a point of reference. there are 95's that are stiffer than some 110's and some 120's that are softer than some 100's.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January