• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossi E88 vs K2 Mindbender 90ti

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
My 2014 Rossi E88's are still working pretty well for me but they have had a number of changes to the design in the last 5 years so I'm looking for a suitable replacement. I'm thinking they might be a bit floppy after 200 or so days and I would like to get a bit more performance in cut up snow and also bumps.

Me: 66 years old, 160lbs, 6'-0" I guess I'm still an intermediate skier but getting better. My other skis are Rossi Sky 7's (180cm) and Head iTitan (170cm). Whitefish MT is my place of preference with 53 days on the snow this year. I'm getting much better in adverse off piste conditions but would like to be able to ski the whole mountain. Or at least 90% of it.

The new E88 has a more soft snow bias compared to last year's model which is OK in my book. Folks here seem to like the K2 Mindbender 90ti and it would be in the same category as would a number of other skis.

Anyone have a direct comparison, opinion or suggestion?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My 2014 Rossi E88's are still working pretty well for me but they have had a number of changes to the design in the last 5 years so I'm looking for a suitable replacement. I'm thinking they might be a bit floppy after 200 or so days and I would like to get a bit more performance in cut up snow and also bumps.

Me: 66 years old, 160lbs, 6'-0" I guess I'm still an intermediate skier but getting better. My other skis are Rossi Sky 7's (180cm) and Head iTitan (170cm). Whitefish MT is my place of preference with 53 days on the snow this year. I'm getting much better in adverse off piste conditions but would like to be able to ski the whole mountain. Or at least 90% of it.

The new E88 has a more soft snow bias compared to last year's model which is OK in my book. The Mindbender 90ti would be in the same category as would a number of other skis and folks here seem to like it.

Anyone have a direct comparison, opinion or suggestion?

Thanks in advance...
I like both skis..we have both skis in the test fleet, well the MB 99ti but we have the Rossi 88 too. As you said the new shape of the rossi makes it more versatile off piste but it actually hs a 1 meter tighter radius than your model. The K2 is a bit more traditional and I do find it to be a bit better on the firm than the Rossi without muck loss in the soft. I do think the Rossi is a tad more stable at speed.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
So, the iTitans are your carvers, the Sky 7 is your powder ski, and this third ski is for "can't make up my mind today" all terrain vehicle? Just wondering what job you plan to give it. I know there are people here with huge quivers that just love buying equipment, but to me a third ski needs a clear purpose.

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
So, the iTitans are your carvers, the Sky 7 is your powder ski, and this third ski is for "can't make up my mind today" all terrain vehicle? Just wondering what job you plan to give it. I know there are people here with huge quivers that just love buying equipment, but to me a third ski needs a clear purpose.

Well the iTitan is 78mm underfoot, the Sky 7 is 98mm, so obviously I need an 88mm ski to fill the slot - I'll wait a while before I consider a 108mm ski. The 88's job will be to charge through the left over piles on the groomers, pick my way down the more open off piste areas on the front side and hopefully get me better results on the bumps.

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Blizzard Brahma. Probably 173.
The Brahma not the Bushwacker (formerly Brahma CA)? Although I realize the E88 and the Mindbender both have metal in them, as do my iTitans, I don't seem to be a fan of really stiff skis. I demoed the Bonafides when I was shopping for a 98ish ski and ended up on the Sky 7's. I also found the Enforcer 100's to be a bit much for me a couple of years ago but I'd say my abilities have improved a bit since then.

My old skis btw, the 2014 Rossi E88's, are 178cm length. That seems like a pretty good size for me for a daily driver.

James

Out There
Instructor
Can you try the Bushwacker and Brahma?
Have you tried the new Rossi E88? Very different to yours.
There's a lot of good choices here. MB90, Pinnacle 88, Legend X88, Brahma, Bushwacker, Fischer Pro Mt 86
At 6',183cm, 160 lbs, probably the 180. You could go short on the more traditional skis.

TS
Fuller

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Apologies for exhuming my year old thread but it's an off mountain day today and instead of doing what I was supposed to be doing (working), I'm thinking about new skis and feeling the burn of the money in my pocket. I'm on week 3 of my 8 week stay here at WMR and my modest skiing improvements have begun to highlight the complaints on the 6 year old E88's. I love those skis like I love my old comfy slippers - It's time to move on but I have paralysis in my analysis...

As my OP says, compared to the old skis I'm looking for less "hookiness" in the tail release, lively / bendy but not floppy, good for short turns in cut up snow and bumps, doesn't need to be a screamer on piste, I've got iTitans to fill that slot and Rossi Sky 7's for new snow days.

The short list: (All would be 2020 versions, flat skis with Attack2 13GW bindings)
Rossi Exp 88 180cm. Right now probably my safest choice if I can't demo them 1st.
K2 MB90ti 177cm. No firm impressions, I'm just going with the Pugski hive mind consensus.
Volkl Kendo 88 177cm. I'm guessing this ski would be the dampest and the best in crud and I love the build quality. I think I could make this ski work for me.

The only one I can demo and then get a credit if I buy locally is the MB90ti.
The Rossi is out of stock locally but Ski Essentials would do the trick (do Pugskiers still get the Bro-Brah deal?)
The Kendo is available locally at REI (take it back if you can't live with it).

Any input will be readily digested.

Thanks in advance - again.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have Mindbender 90ti’s and have some chipping on the tips also but not really concerned about it as all my skis have some chipping. I compared the tips of Mindbenders, Liberty Origins, Fischer Motives and ON3P Steeples. The Mindbenders by far have the thinnest tips. Looks like cap, very thin sandwich layer and metal edge. I really like the 90ti’s and this would not keep me from considering them.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Mindbender 90ti’s and have some chipping on the tips also but not really concerned about it as all my skis have some chipping. I compared the tips of Mindbenders, Liberty Origins, Fischer Motives and ON3P Steeples. The Mindbenders by far have the thinnest tips. Looks like cap, very thin sandwich layer and metal edge. I really like the 90ti’s and this would not keep me from considering them.

Probably true that the tip chipping doesn't matter, but with my yellow 108s, the chipping REALLY stands out against the black underlayer. Still, my newest skis (4 full days on them) and they have at least double the chipping of my oldest skis (Nordica Hell and Backs @ ~200 days).

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
The chipping issue has completely eliminated all K2 Mindbender products from my consideration.

There is no reason for a ski with that price to be inferior to its competition.

Too bad, as the 108s might have had a good chance at making my quiver.

coachmdd

Booting up
Skier
I have been well served by Phil’s advice.
Bought the new E88’s and turned my old pair into dedicated ice skis. Sort of a 2 ski quiver of fraternal twins?

Sponsor

Staff online