• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Roof shoveling...yes or no?

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Since this is a high snow year here in Steamboat I have been thinking about my roof. I did shovel it off a couple of years ago, but not last year. I've been looking at online opinions, but they seem mixed at best and there is no clear consensus on whether or not it is a good idea. Some say it more damaging to walk on it; some say it is needed.

So...have any of you ever had issues with snow load? Have any of you had damage? Do you shovel yours? I don't mind doing it is necessary, but hate to spend the time and effort if it isn't.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it’s a deep, wet and heavy snow I’d consider it and have done it myself. If it’s a dry, light powdery snow I wouldn’t worry it.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Since this is a high snow year here in Steamboat I have been thinking about my roof. I did shovel it off a couple of years ago, but not last year. I've been looking at online opinions, but they seem mixed at best and there is no clear consensus on whether or not it is a good idea. Some say it more damaging to walk on it; some say it is needed.

So...have any of you ever had issues with snow load? Have any of you had damage? Do you shovel yours? I don't mind doing it is necessary, but hate to spend the time and effort if it isn't.

Thats a good problem to have :cool:

It really depends on the roof. (slope angle, design and construction)

Apicem-AZ

Booting up
Skier
Depending on construction and overall building height, is a roof rake a possibility? That eliminates the walking on the roof risks. For a single story building, I've used a 24 foot roof rake that allows me to stand on the ground, and pull the snow down. I use it mostly to avoid formation of ice dams, but I can reach much of the roof with it.

Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garelic...V0cDACh20yA5bEAQYBSABEgJV1vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Skier
Depending on construction and overall building height, is a roof rake a possibility? That eliminates the walking on the roof risks. For a single story building, I've used a 24 foot roof rake that allows me to stand on the ground, and pull the snow down. I use it mostly to avoid formation of ice dams, but I can reach much of the roof with it.

Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Garelick-21-ft-Roof-Rake-89421/307417004?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D25H|Multi|NA|PLA|71700000032394431|58700003837562549|92700030712663209&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu732wLD_3wIV0cDACh20yA5bEAQYBSABEgJV1vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a roof rake and have used it on the garage and shed, but the house roofs are way too high. I've used them mainly the same way you have; to clear the lower edge of the roof to control ice dams.

TS
Bruuuce

Bruuuce

Skier
Yup, the better problem solvers.

Someday I want to live in an a-frame. Totally not an efficient use of space, but I think they are sooo cool, and they definitely do eliminate the snow load issue, especially with a metal roof.

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
We don’t often have to shovel snow off our roofs here in Georgia (never in the history of mankind). But I do think I saw a clip of a YouTube video of someone using a rope. I didn’t watch much, but I assume they used the rope to “slice” through the snow and then it all fell like an avalanche (I saw the falling part).

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Bruuuce it really depends on your roof structure. We use one of those long poles they sell at Ace, We also have roof heat tape at all the critical areas. We will typically get the roof shoveled off once the snow hits 4" or so on the roof.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm originally from San Diego. I've learned a few things the hard way about life in the snow. I had a roof ice avalanche that took out a gas grill. I just replaced the insulation in my floor above the crawl space because a squirrel family had removed it and deposited 3,000 pine cones.

Hmm...maybe I'll have my roof shoveled.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
What are your neighbors who are old timers in the area doing? (or do they have really good insurance?)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What are your neighbors who are old timers in the area doing? (or do they have really good insurance?)
The homes are all different but while I haven't experienced it, I'm told that during big years crews travel the streets looking to shovel roofs and that's when you know. Sorry to say we have't had one of those years since I've been here.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We have metal roof, and most of our rooflines are pretty steep. It sheds snow fairly soon after a storm, and we have never had a leak, knock on wood, since buying the house and re-roofing 15 years ago. It's black and attracts the limited sun that we get.

Here's my nieces's cabin, in a really heavy snow area. They typically shovel when it gets like this. 4-5 times a season. Have had no issues in a few years. Yes, good problem to have! Pretty flat roof, shingled, and heat kept low {enough} for a lot of the week. That would be too much shoveling for my back!

IMG_7519.PNG

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First thing we were taught in first year Civil Engineering shoveling causes more residential roof collapses than not shoveling. This has to do with how the roof is cleared. Generally, most clear from the edge of the roof first focusing on one side (because it’s easier) but this causes high structural loads as loads become unbalanced resulting in roof failures.

Ideally if you shovel, clear from the middle first and then the edges ensuring both side of your roof get cleared equally at the same time is the generally the best advice.

The second bit of advice is don’t fall off :eek:.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
^^ Excellent advice. I also recommend tying your self off w/a rope and stay on the other side of the ridge of the tie off so if you go for a ride (the entire roof can go at once w/you on it) you'll have a safety line to stop you from getting 'plugged' in the snow bank. And Please have someone around 'just in case".

I live in 100-200"/yr snow area. Only 2x we had over 4Ft on the roof and days of heavy rain was expected. The roof would have held it was built to hold mega snow load but 'what if'. It didn't get cleared off I used the roof rake and got the edges opened up and if I have to go on top yes to stay on the ridge.
I like the snow for the insulation.

Sponsor

Staff online