• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Roof rack / cargo box info needed

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just bought a used thule frontier cargo box to use on a 2015 honda civic to carry skis and/or snowboards. I am looking at buying a used roof rack or buying the rack in pieces new on ebay. Does cross-bar shape matter when considering a rack to be used with this box? I notice that yakima often has a round bar where Thule has a square or wing shape. Will my box connect with either system? The connection hardware are flat plates with foam that makes contact with the bar. Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. I am trying not to spend more than $150 for the roof rack.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have direct experience with the Thule frontier, but the following video seems to say that the attachment system should work with most rack systems.

Best of luck...

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Along the same lines, I will be a maximum 20 minutes drive to the ski area, will I need a box or can I just put the skis on a rack type device (I assume they exist) and not do damage to the skis?

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Along the same lines, I will be a maximum 20 minutes drive to the ski area, will I need a box or can I just put the skis on a rack type device (I assume they exist) and not do damage to the skis?
Go with a box. Why take chances a rock will get kicked up. Also, if dirt etc gets on the bottom of your skis, I would think that some of it could get embedded in your base if you are not careful to wipe them down before skiing. In your profile picture are Bomber skis - protect them.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If it is just you and the Mrs....I would just put them in the back of the new Subie before putting them on the top...even if you are bringing two pair each..plenty of room.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Even in really short drives...like 10 minutes...I've always tended to go with inside the vehicle first, and if we have too many people, etc. then in the roof box. More of a factor on the way home, after skiing, but if we detour and stop to have a cup of coffee or a beer with friends, maybe make a grocery run, stop in at our friendly tuner's...I like to have the skis locked in a box, or inside the car, rather than on a roof rack, exposed. They look too attractive out there, and I can assure you that it takes about 5 seconds with a pry bar to bust open any rack. And for local use, I've had ski boxes on vehicles of all sizes.

On a long ride, I'd never use anything but a ski box. Back in the day, in the 70's, I always had skis packed in roll-up bags, tied to roof racks. Never exposed to the elements. First roof box, maybe circa 1984?, changed that program.

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Even in really short drives...like 10 minutes...I've always tended to go with inside the vehicle first, and if we have too many people, etc. then in the roof box. More of a factor on the way home, after skiing, but if we detour and stop to have a cup of coffee or a beer with friends, maybe make a grocery run, stop in at our friendly tuner's...I like to have the skis locked in a box, or inside the car, rather than on a roof rack, exposed. They look too attractive out there, and I can assure you that it takes about 5 seconds with a pry bar to bust open any rack. And for local use, I've had ski boxes on vehicles of all sizes.

On a long ride, I'd never use anything but a ski box. Back in the day, in the 70's, I always had skis packed in roll-up bags, tied to roof racks. Never exposed to the elements. First roof box, maybe circa 1984?, changed that program.
We are a family of four and our ride to the mountain is 90 min. In the past few years, we just bagged the skis and threw inside the Pathfinder. We can fit 4 pairs of skis, 3 snowboards, 7 pairs of boots and lots of food with the 2nd row middle seat down. We now want to use our other car hence the box. In saying all that, if there is room inside your vehicle, consider it. A box will keep some of the parking lot grime out of your vehicle though. Inside also depends on how long your skis are.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I've had my skis on roof racks for years on long, medium and short trips and never noticed any damage. When you consider what your skis go through on the slopes, I'm not sure how riding on top of a car is any worse? It's not like boxes are completely safe either. Unless wrapped individually and secured, the skis could damage each other through movement, and boxes tend to be damp, encouraging rust.

Has anyone ever experienced any actual damage to their skis from roof rack use, or is it just presumptive fear?

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've had my skis on roof racks for years on long, medium and short trips and never noticed any damage. When you consider what your skis go through on the slopes, I'm not sure how riding on top of a car is any worse? It's not like boxes are completely safe either. Unless wrapped individually and secured, the skis could damage each other through movement, and boxes tend to be damp, encouraging rust.

Has anyone ever experienced any actual damage to their skis from roof rack use, or is it just presumptive fear?
i agree with you but I spend enough time tuning that I'm not chancing more work and damage to our equipment.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier

It is what you can't see like grit and salt in your bindings that may degrade the binding DIN setting. If you drive on roads that are dry and free of salt and grit no worries. Judging from the grime that accumulates on my cars on winter roads my skis ride inside my car or roof box. The roof box can also be handy for carrying a mix of skis, poles and snowboards.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it is just you and the Mrs....I would just put them in the back of the new Subie before putting them on the top...even if you are bringing two pair each..plenty of room.

I put skis inside 99% of the time even if I have a rack.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

That will only work if the wife buys the Ascent which is still to be determined. I went for the Mini Countryman S ALL4. Skis inside would ride up between the two front seats. She may or may not like the Ascent as only I test drove it prior to my current work trip. They only had it for a couple of days and she was out of town.

The whole ski box thing is a bit weird to me, looking at them, it is not like a airline ski bag with tie downs to keep them separated. Looks to me like they could bounce around and damage each other’s edges in the box. For a short trip under 20 minutes it seems like a rack would be fine. But of course you guys are much more up to speed on this stuff

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you replace your skis every year, no worries. Otherwise, the salt spray will get into the bindings and corode the springs and other internals.

No. I have not had actual damage to my skis due to salt spray, BECAUSE I take care of them.

I did however experience a good example of what that salt spray can do when I made the mistake of not thoroughly washing my motorcycle after a January thaw ride north of Toronto ON. The weather changed to freezing rain, and it was a challenge getting home without dropping the bike. Eventually the salt trucks made it onto the road, before I got back home. The bike stayed parked until spring, when the next ride revealed many rusty fasteners.

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you replace your skis every year, no worries. Otherwise, the salt spray will get into the bindings and corode the springs and other internals.

No. I have not had actual damage to my skis due to salt spray, BECAUSE I take care of them.

I did however experience a good example of what that salt spray can do when I made the mistake of not thoroughly washing my motorcycle after a January thaw ride north of Toronto ON. The weather changed to freezing rain, and it was a challenge getting home without dropping the bike. Eventually the salt trucks made it onto the road, before I got back home. The bike stayed parked until spring, when the next ride revealed many rusty fasteners.
Before there was cargo boxes, we used ski racks exclusively. We used gator-like sleeves that fit over the bindings. I would definitely use those, if they are still made.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't think salt is an issue in Utah..I think they use sand. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Remember too, with a smaller car like the Mini All4, you have a shorter roof, with a traditional roof rack and the tips pointed towards the rear, they might infringe on the rear hatch opening. A box has a duck tail in the back and probably not get in the way.

TS
1chris5

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here is a link to a binding cover in case one wants to go the ski rack option. TRANSPACK

Sponsor

Staff online