• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Ron's "The Way I Ski It" 2019 Thumbnail Reviews, 85+mm Skis

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Atomic Vantage 86 C
Dimensions: 123-86-106.5
Radius: 18.2m@173cm
Sizes: 165, 173, 181
Size tested:173
Design: All New

Maybe it was the conditions (harder snow early in the morning), but I just didn't get along with this ski. On the firm groomers, it felt tinny and a little skittish. I had some difficulty getting it to engage and stay engaged. Prior iterations were good solid skis, so I would like to get this off piste to see how it performs.
  • Who is it for? Not sure.
  • Who is it not for? Those who like precise, damp skis.
  • Insider tip: :huh:

Atomic Vantage 90 Ti

Dimensions: 127.5-90-114
Radius: 18.4m@176cm
Sizes: 161, 169, 176, 185
Size tested: 176

I tested this ski at the end of the second day so I have to factor in that the ski needed a tuner, this Ti version is overly stiff and a beast. On the hardpack, I had difficulty getting the tips to engage and the ski felt vague and planky. The tail is equally stiff and lacked subtlety. I was able to find some loose snow along the edges and on short radius turns in the piles it seemed more at home but it took a lot of coaxing to get it to respond to input. I spoke to another reviewer who skied it in one of the back bowls and felt it was much more happy in chunder and crud than on piste.
  • Who is it for? This may be a great off-piste and crud ski for Clydesdales.
  • Who is it not for? Frontside skiers looking for a ski that is responsive or fun.
  • Insider tip: Eat your Wheaties first.

Faction Candide 3.0
Dimensions: 135-108-132
Radius: 22m@186cm
Sizes: 162, 169, 176, 182, 186, 192, 204 (yes, 2 Oh 4)
Size tested: 186
Design: Carryover/NGT

For the better part of this season, my friends at my local ski shop have been nagging me to get on this ski, but I already owned another ski that I used for powder days. Fast forward, I demoed a pair of Faction Candide CTs and was blown away. Named for Candide Thovex, who defies gravity in his internet sensation videos, the Candide 3.0 is a lightweight ski that can still charge. The CT 3.0 has a softish tip but gets progressively stiffer until underfoot where its quite stiff. From the heel back, it softens but maintains some stiffness for support. I had to get used to a twin-tip but found I really like this design for stability and turn shape. There is low but long rocker on both the tip and tail. This shape allows the ski to maintain stability while still providing good float.

Despite being thought of a park or freestyle ski, this ski is impressively versatile both on soft groomers, crud and above the knee deep days. In fact, although I typically never evaluate a wide ski on its groomer performance, this ski rips and is a ton-o-fun on soft groomers. The tip engages very well for a ski of this width. In powder, you can really work this ski which has a lot of pop and energy but still feels grounded to the snow, and with its camber (more than the published 2mm's), you can pop around small features and have a blast on it. The 3.0 has a very low swing weight and can be pivoted and schmeared in very tight spots. I am skiing this much more often than I thought I would be.

There is a 4cm span for mounting on the CT; from the fore-"CT line" which is more for park or freestyle skiing to the aft, "all-Mountain" mark, which frankly is too far back. I played around with the mounting point and ended up at +1 from the All Mountain mark. FWIW, my LSS says most skiers go mid-point between the two marks or just about where I am.
  • Who is it for? Those looking for a super fun powder and damn near perfect all-mountain western ski.
  • Who is it not for? I'm not sure!
  • Insider tip: Demo first if possible for best mount point: +1 to mid-point will work for most skiers.

Fischer Pro MTN 86TI
Dimensions: 128-86-116
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Sizes: 161, 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 182
Design: Carryover/NGT

I tested the Pro MTN in 175 last SIA and loved it for a fantastic blend of on- and off-piste ability and thought it was one of the most underrated skis. The 86 exudes quality and performance not found at this price point. This year I tested the 182 and found that I liked the longest length even more. The extra few centimeters afforded even more stability and snow contact. Where I felt the tip rocker had too much rise in the 175, I didn't notice it on the 182. I would still encourage Fischer to lower the splay, but if you are on the fence on lengths or typically ski a 178 or longer frontside ski, grab the 182. It just felt even more balanced and capable.
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up looking for a versatile higher level of performance than many of the other mid-80 skis.
  • Who is it not for? Those lacking a solid foundation of skills or those not interested in a more precise ski
  • Insider tip: Fischer approaches Stöckli and especially Kästle quality at a fraction of the price.

Liberty Origin 90

Dimensions: 126-90-112
Radius: 16.5m@172cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 179
Design: New Construction

After my experience with the VMT, I decided to jump on something different. Although this ski wasn't on the list of targeted demos, I wanted to get a better feeling of what Liberty was offering. The Origin 90 didn't disappoint. This ski is just pure all-mountain fun. I wouldn't suggest this as an East Coast all-mountain ride, but for out west, it is a hoot! The Origin 90 in 179 skied a bit short for me with some rather pronounced rocker, so if you tend to like longer skis, go to the 186. The ski looks like a freeride model with softish tapered tips and tails, but underfoot it is pretty beefy. You aren't buying this for crisp, precise tip engagement, but it does hook up well enough on the groomed and once it does, you can stand over the center and arc it. I did get it up to speed and experienced tip flap, but nothing that affected its performance. What makes this ski so much fun is its energy and pop. This ski also is quite damp. I didn't get it off piste but I can totally envision ripping through soft bumps and trees. Yep, I could own this ski for days when I just wanted to bomb around the mountain in soft snow with a big grin on my face.
  • Who is it for? Just about any level of skier who likes a fun, poppy, energetic ski.
  • Who is it not for? Those looking for precision, exactness, and boring skis.
  • Insider tip: Demo if you can for proper length.

Stöckli Stormrider 88
Dimensions: 128-88-114
Radius: 19m@177cm
Sizes: 168, 177, 186
Size tested: 177

Stöckli made a surprisingly quick change to the 2019 Stormrider after some felt the 2018 version was too soft with the lightweight core. I can't say, as I didn't ski the old 88, but this version felt stable, solid damp, precise, and responsive with an even and predictable flex like all of the other Stormriders -- which is to say, it's a superb ski. I have to admit, I am addicted to the feel and performance of Stöcklis. I skied the 88 immediately after the 95 on the same run to experience the difference. Although the 88 is obviously 7 mm narrower, I can't say that it's monumentally quicker than the 95. It was quicker but not all that much quicker, and a bit more precise which makes me wonder if anyone really "needs" both the 88 and the 95. I own the Laser AX and the 95, and I would think you could own the Laser AX and the 88 (as long as you own the Laser AX, of course) as a top-tier all-mountain duo.
  • Who is it for? This is another ski for those with skills and who can appreciate what goes into this ski and why it is priced where it is. Stöcklis are simply superb skis.
  • Who is it not for? Those who are looking for "just a ski."
  • Insider tip: Decide whether you need a 95 or an 88.

Stöckli Stormrider 95
Dimensions: 131-95-120
Radius: 17.2@175cm
Sizes: 157, 166, 175, 184
Size tested: 184
Design: New Construction

Disclosure, I own this ski. The Stormrider is an uber-smooth, stable, and rather easy (relatively) ski that performs in a wide range of conditions. The tips are fairly soft, but the ski stiffens progressively until its stiff underfoot and then the flex tapers out to a moderate flex at the tail. There's a surprising amount of low splay rocker in the tips and the 184 doesnt ski as long as you think. It's eerily quiet and stable and has no speed limit that I could find. Despite this, it is happy at almost any turn shape and the slightly turned-up rockered tail can be released easily for good handling in bumps, trees, and steeps. It smooths out rough snow and crud superbly. On soft groomers it's an absolute joy to ski as its GS roots shine: bring it up on edge and go for a ride.

One thing I have to stress is that in my opinion, some of Stöckli's suggested mount points are too far back. Yes, you can adjust to them, but I have found that moving them forward even 5 mm can make a significant difference in the responsiveness and maneuverability of the ski. This was echoed by my local ski shop, which suggested trying them forward after their own testing experiences.
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up with skills or serious about building their skills.
  • Who is it not for? It is still most happy off piste or in bumps and trees, so don't buy it just for the front side.
  • Insider tip: Demo first and have the tech cheat you forward +1, or two clicks on the demo bindings, for added quickness and tip engagement.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the reviews, Ron!

You didn't take the new Monster 88 for a ride?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Tom K. Nope, sadly, it was out every time i was at the tent. No worries though, other pugskiers got on it.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Nice reviews, Ron, much appreciated. :thumb:

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online