• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So glad to hear that the surgery went well. Sending good vibes for your recovery.

Reactions: Ron

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear that you had to go through all this. Heal well Ron

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Glad to hear it's looking up.

Does this mean no biking summer and fall?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Glad to hear it's looking up.

Does this mean no biking summer and fall?

Ill be on the bike ibetween 4-5 nonths in limited capacity but it will really depend on how the reconstruction heals. Def not on a mtn bike though. Im on crutches for 4 weeks which isnt bad then i have to work up to a certain level on the stationary bike. For the first 6 weeks i have to spin with no resistance (i was on bike the AM after surgery) Then i can pedal on flat surfaces a few miles then work up incrementally Last hip recovery was about 3 months before i was riding 20 miles on sub 1k climbing (flat) so with the reconstruction its probably longer. Staying positive.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
for those that are interested, hip recovery protocol is much different than other surgeries, Its closer to a ACL than anything else I have done. you aren't permitted to use your hip (rotate femurs, internally or externally rotate or move leg) or bend your leg at 90* at waist so have to have someone lift your legs to get into and out of bed or couch. That means no sitting on a chair unless you are slumped down. You cant sit at 90* at the waist For those wondering how you use the toilet, you hold the sides of the toilet seat with both hands and carefully lower your butt with your leg kept straight out. Getting up is a little trickier. Try it. :). whe on crutches you can put 20# of pressure on the operated leg. That does help.

at all times, when not in the CPM, your feet have to be held together (bungie) so your leg doesn’t externally rotate. You're in the CPM (continuous Passive motion) machine for at least 8 hours a day, that moves the entire leg along a sagittal plane. this actually feels good although some people find it hard to sleep in. Personally, I like it. Because of a higher risk of DVT you use calf sleeves to pump blood 24 hours per day. You use a cold water hip sleeve several hours per day for swelling and pain. Your hip gets really swollen and in a few days, I can post up the bruise! :) . there is a regime of meds you take to help prevent the growth of scar tissue, inflammation and bone growth as well as a course of antibiotics too. Most people have to use Prilosec as the meds tend to chew you up. the meds change depending on the phase of recovery. I'm not supposed to drink alcohol yet until I get off all the muscle relaxers. I only had to take one Oxy pill due to the efficacy of the 2 pain blocks that take your through the first 18 hours or so. it really made a significant difference. Interestingly, the Dr's still don't have enough info on THC yet so they say you can use THC but they dont want it mixed with narcos or Muscle relaxers but they do see that many patients are benefiting from it, including CBD/Thc combo. I will go back on it soon as it really helped me before surgery.

Rehab protocol is based primarily on engaging/activating glute, quad and core muscles. You also do Cat/cow and Childs pose. You ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes with no resistance, 10minutes each direction, I like this because you feel like you are actually doing something . You do these exercises twice a day at home and as you strengthen and recover, other modes are added in. Steadman has a an online video guided rehab program that is really cool. the Patient can use this as a guide and it also can be used by Physical therapists who aren't trained for this protocol. I go to PT 4x per week for the first 3 weeks and then move down to 2-3 x per week. I can drive in 2 weeks since its my right leg.

I highly recommend promising your caretaker a significant gift or trip as a reward for their care :)

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait...how can you do cat-cow and childs pose without bending your legs? Maybe that whole sit on the toilet without bending your legs thing is just the surgeon's way of having a sadistic laugh. I tried it for solidarity... thought I'd break my neck!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
. I should clarify. You can’t be at 90* at waist. So for cat cow you modify a little. . And of course bending is kind of mandatory on the toilet. :roflmao: Which is why on toilet a straight leg will lower the hip angle. TMI. The front of the hip is very sore after surgery so forward of 90* pinches a lot I modified above. Thanks. Essentially unless you want to sit either slumped back or way forward it really does t work well. Hope that make sense. Oh getting off toilet with crutches is easier.

When walking with crutches you can put 20# of foot pressure on the foot.

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Reminds me of my damaged ACL/fractured proximal tibia days.

have to have someone lift your legs to get into and out of bed or couch.

Can you roll off of bed or couch, putting your unaffected foot onto the floor, and lift yourself up to a standing position? It worked best with a sturdy coffee table for my outside arm to push against. Not suggesting you do this, just wondering if this movement is prohibited. And if you can't visualize this, well ... I'm not doing a video!

For those wondering how you use the toilet, you hold the sides of the toilet seat with both hands and carefully lower your butt with your leg kept straight out. Getting up is a little trickier.

I put the foot of the affected side on a rug (no weight on it) and let that foot slide forward as I lowered myself. Worked great for the first couple of weeks. Then one day the rug didn't slide. Crunchy noises could be heard for just a second before my scream drowned it out. I assume it was scar tissue breaking loose or something.

The negative part is over. Now it's the recovery and rebuilding of your life. Good luck and good healing.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
for those that are interested, hip recovery protocol is much different than other surgeries, Its closer to a ACL than anything else I have done. you aren't permitted to use your hip (rotate femurs, internally or externally rotate or move leg) or bend your leg at 90* at waist so have to have someone lift your legs to get into and out of bed or couch. That means no sitting on a chair unless you are slumped down. You cant sit at 90* at the waist For those wondering how you use the toilet, you hold the sides of the toilet seat with both hands and carefully lower your butt with your leg kept straight out. Getting up is a little trickier. Try it. :). whe on crutches you can put 20# of pressure on the operated leg. That does help.

at all times, when not in the CPM, your feet have to be held together (bungie) so your leg doesn’t externally rotate. You're in the CPM (continuous Passive motion) machine for at least 8 hours a day, that moves the entire leg along a sagittal plane. this actually feels good although some people find it hard to sleep in. Personally, I like it. Because of a higher risk of DVT you use calf sleeves to pump blood 24 hours per day. You use a cold water hip sleeve several hours per day for swelling and pain. Your hip gets really swollen and in a few days, I can post up the bruise! :) . there is a regime of meds you take to help prevent the growth of scar tissue, inflammation and bone growth as well as a course of antibiotics too. Most people have to use Prilosec as the meds tend to chew you up. the meds change depending on the phase of recovery. I'm not supposed to drink alcohol yet until I get off all the muscle relaxers. I only had to take one Oxy pill due to the efficacy of the 2 pain blocks that take your through the first 18 hours or so. it really made a significant difference. Interestingly, the Dr's still don't have enough info on THC yet so they say you can use THC but they dont want it mixed with narcos or Muscle relaxers but they do see that many patients are benefiting from it, including CBD/Thc combo. I will go back on it soon as it really helped me before surgery.

Rehab protocol is based primarily on engaging/activating glute, quad and core muscles. You also do Cat/cow and Childs pose. You ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes with no resistance, 10minutes each direction, I like this because you feel like you are actually doing something . You do these exercises twice a day at home and as you strengthen and recover, other modes are added in. Steadman has a an online video guided rehab program that is really cool. the Patient can use this as a guide and it also can be used by Physical therapists who aren't trained for this protocol. I go to PT 4x per week for the first 3 weeks and then move down to 2-3 x per week. I can drive in 2 weeks since its my right leg.

I highly recommend promising your caretaker a significant gift or trip as a reward for their care :)

Wow. This recovery protocol is restrictive and intense. Heal well sir.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
It’s only this restrictive until The leg recovers some strength. Then you can move it left/right and get up yourself. But.you have to move both legs together which is the challenge now.. I can engage the quad and glutes but can not lift or move the leg in any direction.. You can slide off the end of the bed if you aren’t in the cpm device. But every day I’m a little better so it won’t be too long It’s really not a huge deal. I just thought others might find the protocol of interest.

@coskigirl what’s DW?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
LOLOLOL! We are going to Alaska in late August so I have been told I should be fine to do short hikes and kayaking. and, yes, I will be hitting you up for advice and recommendations, :thumb:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
The restrictive protocol may not seem like too big of a deal, but if you're single, it can be a whole other world.

It's interesting too how much time and energy it takes just to perform essential tasks each day when you have a restriction.

Alaska seems like a suitable thank-you! Planning the trip may be a good distraction during recovery and rehab.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The restrictive protocol may not seem like too big of a deal, but if you're single, it can be a whole other world.

It's interesting too how much time and energy it takes just to perform essential tasks each day when you have a restriction.

Alaska seems like a suitable thank-you! Planning the trip may be a good distraction during recovery and rehab.

this is spot-on. I dont think there's really anyway to realistically have this procedure alone with at least caretaker coming in multiple times daily to assist for the first couple of weeks. There is no way to do the at-home PT by yourself. At Steadman, you are not allowed to have the surgery unless you are accompanied by a helper at least for the 5 days you must remain in the clinic. My last hip surgery, I only had my wife with me for the first 10 days and then she had to leave and return a week later and then leave after another week (we were not yet full time here). I had no choice but to break the protocols which of course leads to longer recovery times and greatly increased pain. I have great neighbors who would come over daily to help out and my wife stocked the freezer with meals but it was extremely difficult both physically and mentally. Yes, again, simple tasks like reheating a meal can be exhausting. You have to figure out how to get food from the microwave to the counter to eat it standing up since you quickly tired of the efforts required to carry food 5 feet across the kitchen and not load the surgery leg too much or getting into or out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got to sleep n the same bed as Julia Mancuso.

I know I should resist this, but it sounds like she was there?!

Hope that made you grin. Heal well, heal quickly!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron
I am glad your surgery went well....sounds like quite an ordeal. Wishing you a smooth recovery. Alaska as the carrot at the end sounds perfect. If you need any Netflix or Amazon video recs, let me know....ogsmile .I was laid up for 6 weeks two years ago and lots of binge-watching and book reading saved my sanity.

Your skis and bikes will be patiently waiting for you until you are ready!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. Ive already made a lot of progress! as long as my leg isn't in the CPM, I can move it with my own hands now so I dont need assistance getting up or laying down. much less stiffness and can sit /lay more upright.

BTW- the bruise is starting to form, anyone want a pic? :).

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid