• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have zero miles in yet. Past 2 weekends have been spent running errands which is something we haven't been able to do on weekends since November. Work is in a crunch period right now so I've been getting home late. Right now it's a dream but I will get on them!!!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
PFS would be a way intense skate for newbies, especially Friday night. I really wouldn't expect ssg to be ready for that, no matter how much quad skating she has.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This weekend's takeaway: don't be afraid of delta and heel lifts in your skates! Even if your alpine delta is close to zero, doesn't mean your skate delta should be. Especially if you have a relatively flat frame.

(Two skaters with major shin splints, both with new skates/frames, neither could figure it out until we shimmed the rear bolts)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This weekend's takeaway: don't be afraid of delta and heel lifts in your skates! Even if your alpine delta is close to zero, doesn't mean your skate delta should be. Especially if you have a relatively flat frame.

(Two skaters with major shin splints, both with new skates/frames, neither could figure it out until we shimmed the rear bolts)
https://shop.bont.com/products/812

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are the Landskaters still around? Has this evolved from that?
Their numbers are less then half of what they were durring the inline skate boom of the1990's and I no longer see the "Skate Patrol" people, but Philly Landskaters are still meeting at the Art Museum Tuesday nights and weekends. They do have an official season but also continue to do a group skate all year round and have been running the annual Philly Free Skate for as long as I've known of them, which is about 20 years or so.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@cantunamunch, you clearly are an accomplished inline skater. I tried skating last summer and intend to pick it back up this summer after my knee is recovered, but do have a couple of questions for you:

1. How do you tell if a skate boot fits? Stated somewhat differently, how do you fit a skate boot?
  2. How do you find a skate instructor? I live in Louisville, CO just outside of Boulder. It seems that many of the sites that had info on skate coaching are pretty dead
Mike

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yeah I've the balance of tightrope walker however, I haven't rollerbladed/skated in a very long time so I think it's going to take a while to get to the point where I can do those big group skates. I'm really just looking for a means of exercise and conditioning a few days a week during the off season. You know, some home and slap the blades on and do a few laps around the neighborhood. Maybe bring them to the boardwalk and blade around, etc.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Geez, if one can't find a skate instructor in Boulder we're in trouble. Maybe put an ad in the supermarket saying you're looking to do yoga on rollerblades. That ought to bring out half a dozen.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@Mike King in re: part2, in addition to Kathie Fry's website that @neonorchid posted above there is also http://skateia.org/instructors/ You're absolutely right that old websites are mostly dead.

In re part1:

First off, you should absolutely be looking at high top skates. Low-cut skates are for committed speed; mid-cut skates are kind of a compromise for skaters who want to go quick but don't quite have the conditioning to go low-cut. (FWIW @surfsnowgirl 's Vitesse are a mid-cut skate.)

Second, it's hard - one has almost zero choice of last shapes except by switching brands, and everything in the beginner-to-intermediate category is lasted like mid-to-high volume rental ski boots. You also can't change cuff angle. Footbeds are only a limited help - they can fill volume but tend to make the boot feel wobblier underfoot.

There are very definite standards: you have to be able to balance and glide on one foot. you have to be able to glide on two feet in a straight line with vertical frames I I

To help find skates in which you can do that, do use the Mondpoint sizing in preference to US shoe sizing. I also recommend everyone starts in hardshell skates like Rollerblade's Maxxum and Twister series - both the clog and the cuff can be padded to fit better, which is essentially a lost cause in softshell skates. The only real tools available with softshell skates are - frame position and alignment, lacing changes, and padding the sock.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor

Sponsor

Staff online