• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Roger

Booting up
Skier
Are inline skates the same as roller blades? Do they both provide the same exercise and help with improving on the slopes. I want to get in shape for next season and improve my strength in my legs. Wasn't sure if one is better.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Are inline skates the same as roller blades? Do they both provide the same exercise and help with improving on the slopes. I want to get in shape for next season and improve my strength in my legs. Wasn't sure if one is better.

Rollerblades is a brand. Inline skates is what they are.

Kinda like saying Kleenex, for a facial tissue. Brand vs actual product.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Although it's not what I do now I'm a trademark paralegal so this is an interest and passion of mine. So many brand names are used are descriptors.

There's a slew of them

Q-Tips
Band-Aids
Jacuzzi

I used to work for Jacuzzi and part of my job was trademark infringement so I had to write countless letters and constantly pull things from eBay for trade mark violation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

If a mark becomes too generic then the TM owner is in danger of losing their mark because it's become too commonly used.

Sorry, back to topic. My inline skates are Salomon Trainer Inline Skates

p.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Don't leave it on the back burner, you want the nice days of summer to work on technique. You want to be good enough to be able to skate in the rain, long before the Sept/October storms hit. (It doesn't matter if you actually do it, it's just a serviceable ability threshold for all sort of other things).

And remember - you want these to fit just as well as your ski boots fit (or better!). All the cautions about mail ordering and buying by US shoe size that we use for ski boots apply here too.

A

Sorry, back to topic. My inline skates are Salomon Trainer Inline Skates

Very nice skates for their day - I had several pair for teaching skates before we switched to 100% RB.

Have you tried tall wheels yet? It's going to feel very different from your setup.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Don't leave it on the back burner, you want the nice days of summer to work on technique. You want to be good enough to be able to skate in the rain, long before the Sept/October storms hit. (It doesn't matter if you actually do it, it's just a serviceable ability threshold for all sort of other things).

And remember - you want these to fit just as well as your ski boots fit (or better!). All the cautions about mail ordering and buying by US shoe size that we use for ski boots apply here too.

Very nice skates for their day - I had several pair for teaching skates before we switched to 100% RB.

Have you tried tall wheels yet? It's going to feel very different from your setup.

I haven't even used these yet. Bought them for cheap on eBay and they are brand new. I come from a roller skating background so inline skates have always felt strange to me. I'd been on inline skates in the past which just felt wobbly and cheap. These feel very solid which I like.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I haven't even used these yet. Bought them for cheap on eBay and they are brand new. I come from a roller skating background so inline skates have always felt strange to me. I'd been on inline skates in the past which just felt wobbly and cheap. These feel very solid which I like.

Ah, OK, I thought we'd pretty much scavenged and gleaned fleabay for parts for those when Salomon left the US but I guess there's been a few holdouts :D Be careful swopping wheels, the clearances on those frames are tighter than on RB and some batches from some brands simply will not fit and roll freely.

I might still have a pair of Eaglehawks that will also fit those booties...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ah, OK, I thought we'd pretty much scavenged and gleaned fleabay for parts for those when Salomon left the US but I guess there's been a few holdouts :D Be careful swopping wheels, the clearances on those frames are tighter than on RB and some batches from some brands simply will not fit and roll freely.

Thanks. Gotta love fleabay right. I probably won't get to the point of swapping wheels. I figured I'd screw around on these all summer and then invest in a proper pair for my next setup. Perhaps maybe even from Skiessentials :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I probably won't get to the point of swapping wheels.

Famous last words - ogsmile - just wait until 5 weeks from now when your current set is all pointy from braking.

I figured I'd screw around on these all summer
-
and then invest in a proper pair for my next setup.

Heh. A good bootie fit is not something one gives up - both of us know that you'll keep these as a fallback while not-quite-right-fits are rotated in and out of your skate quiver faster than skis in your ski quiver ;) ogsmile:beercheer:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Famous last words - ogsmile - just wait until 5 weeks from now when your current set is all pointy from braking

Heh. A good bootie fit is not something one gives up - both of us know that you'll keep these as a fallback while not-quite-right-fits are rotated in and out of your skate quiver faster than skis in your ski quiver ;) ogsmile:beercheer:

So true.... Never say never .,.................................. I'm the first to admit I don't know anything about inline skates. Just looking for fun and outdoorsy things to do in the off season. Next up is an electric skateboard. Hey now about my ski quiver. I've had my Wild Bills for like an entire year now and I've no plans to sell them. I'm even going to put a pug sticker on them........................................ They might be my longest ski relationship at this point. :roflmao:

:beercheer:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
- My inline skates are Salomon Trainer Inline Skates

p.jpg

Thanks. Gotta love fleabay right. I probably won't get to the point of swapping wheels. I figured I'd screw around on these all summer and then invest in a proper pair for my next setup. Perhaps maybe even from Skiessentials :)
You have a Salomon Vitesse 5x80mm "marathon skate from the early '00's. Had a couple of those myself, actually they were my first inline skates.
They are a proper pair of inline skates! Nothing wrong with them. The 5x80mm set-up is smooth due to the small spaces between wheels (contact patch with ground) and dampens vibrations, quite the oppisite of 4x80mm which will rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

If the fit is good and supportive, you have nothing more to do to upgrade then swap out the frame for a 165 / 195 combo mount frame at with a three-wheel set-up, there are many to chose from, go all in and get 3x125's. The high cuff will support you with the higher deck height.

Assuming it's all working for you, the next step would be to move the new 3x125mm frame to a crossover boot like a Bont Semi-Race TWO POINT mounting bolts (that is important, don't get the failed and phased out three-point mount boot).

https://shop.bont.com/collections/boot-only/products/semi-race-2pt-195mm

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Luigino_EO_Carbon_Inline_Frames/descpage-FRE0.html

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Luigino_Pilot_P51_Featherweight_Frames/descpage-FRFEA.html

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Powerslide_Vi_Inline_Skate_Race_Frames/descpage-VI125.html

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been in line skating for a few years but last year decided I'd get good enough to just go skate in my neighborhood and worry less, get decent at it so I did. It's a great exercise for skiing but does come with its own injury potential that somewhat worried me. When learning to brake by dragging the skate behind me, dragging my left foot was really unnerving and I did sport a road rash for a while trying to learn that. I hate the thought of my training killing my ski season from an injury. I did, 4 weeks before ski season, pull my hamstring but was on the way to healed when I headed out for the season, lower level lessons were no problem and the physio lady said I'd be fully healed by Christmas and for the most part I was. I still couldn't skate when i headed skiing though.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
You have a Salomon Vitesse 5x80mm "marathon skate from the early '00's. Had a couple of those myself, actually they were my first inline skates.
They are a proper pair of inline skates! Nothing wrong with them. The 5x80mm set-up is smooth due to the small spaces between wheels (contact patch with ground) and dampens vibrations, quite the oppisite of 4x80mm which will rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

If the fit is good and supportive, you have nothing more to do to upgrade then swap out the frame for a 165 / 195 combo mount frame at with a three-wheel set-up, there are many to chose from, go all in and get 3x125's. The high cuff will support you with the higher deck height.

Assuming it's all working for you, the next step would be to move the new 3x125mm frame to a crossover boot like a Bont Semi-Race TWO POINT mounting bolts (that is important, don't get the failed and phased out three-point mount boot).

https://shop.bont.com/collections/boot-only/products/semi-race-2pt-195mm

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Luigino_EO_Carbon_Inline_Frames/descpage-FRE0.html

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Luigino_Pilot_P51_Featherweight_Frames/descpage-FRFEA.html

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Powerslide_Vi_Inline_Skate_Race_Frames/descpage-VI125.html

Thanks good to know I have a proper pair already. Brand new from eBay. I've been on roller blades in the past and I hate how you feel everything. These feel much more stable and you don't feel every freakin rock, stone and crack in the asphalt. Thanks for the links too.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Went out on my 5 wheel Rollerblades.. Trish was a ways back on a bicycle.
She overheard 2 10 yr old kids -one saying "Hey there goes grandpa on rollerblades"
:huh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Went out on my 5 wheel Rollerblades.. Trish was a ways back on a bicycle.
She overheard 2 10 yr old kids -one saying "Hey there goes grandpa on rollerblades"
:huh:
I didn't know you are a grandfather. ;)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't been on mine for a few years. but this thread reminded me of a crash. I decided to squeeze in one more lap around a park as it was getting dark. I hit a stick lying across the path that I didn't see in the twilight. Big time road rash!