• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't had the need for a ski bag (yet) but after my good experience with the Kulkea Powder Trekker boot bag, I believe their products are top notch. This looks like a really nice bag.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When inserting the steel rod fastener I noticed it had a tendency to pass thru the outer shells holes completely missing the holes of the inner shell:eek: I could see how it ends up in pieces on the carousel after a TSA check:(

Huh... I think I would have to work pretty darn hard to have the pin on my SportTube miss the inner shell. I know that I have more of a problem getting the holes aligned so that the pin goes through at all, and I'd think I'd have to yank hard and distort the plastic a lot to go above the ridge the inner shell holes are in.

I haven't had any problems with the SportTube, except once when TSA didn't put the pin back in at all. It stayed together though, and I tied it once I noticed. I bought a couple of spare pins since.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@KULKEA , one of our sponsors is now offering a double roller. We played with it at the trade show and while we have not personally put it through it's paces, knowing the quality of their boot bags, we expect nothing less of their Kantaja Double ski bags.

wheeled-ski-bag-kantaja-double-roller-kulkea.jpg

Video from SkiGearTV at SIA:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I would have to work pretty darn hard to have the pin on my SportTube miss the inner shell.
except once when TSA didn't put the pin back in at all.

You have no clue how muddy it gets at the shallow end of the gene pool. :cool:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve got a Transpack Ski Vault double rolling bag. I’ve made two trips with it, no problems so far. That Kulkea looks nice, though, and I like how the DB collapses for storage.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
@KULKEA , one of our sponsors is now offering a double roller. We played with it at the trade show and while we have not personally put it through it's paces, knowing the quality of their boot bags, we expect nothing less of their Kantaja Double ski bags.

wheeled-ski-bag-kantaja-double-roller-kulkea.jpg

Video from SkiGearTV at SIA:

Thanks @Philpug! Very tempted to explain how our double roller can be used to dispose of zombies, vampires, and other creatures, however our R & D team is still working to prove this notion. Our double has tie-downs, a separator, holds it's shape, has plenty of padding and expands to 205cm. Coming to a shred shop near you!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Huh... I think I would have to work pretty darn hard to have the pin on my SportTube miss the inner shell. I know that I have more of a problem getting the holes aligned so that the pin goes through at all, and I'd think I'd have to yank hard and distort the plastic a lot to go above the ridge the inner shell holes are in.
-
Sportube Series 2 is telescoping from 122cm to 207cm. Misalignment issues such as I encountered are probably related to the length at which the two halves are assembled. *Also the anount of the inner halves topside sagging which may have been greater in my case that I only packed one pair of skis base to base as one would do using a softside ski bag and not oriented binding to binding tops facing each other as Sportube instructs ... out of the box thinking ... a gene pool thang, my bad :P

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
I realize now that I'm thinking of my single SportTube... I don't have any experience with the double ones, but I could see how that might add a lot of flexibility. I certainly can't get a pair of skis into mine base-to-base.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve got a Transpack Ski Vault double rolling bag. I’ve made two trips with it, no problems so far. That Kulkea looks nice, though, and I like how the DB collapses for storage.

I have the Transpack as well. It has been good for the couple of trips I've made with it. The Kulkea deals with one of the issues that irritates me about the TP which is the opening. I like the U shape on the Kulkea. Now if they'd add the fold down for storage like the DB I think they'd have a pretty perfect bag.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have the Transpack as well. It has been good for the couple of trips I've made with it. The Kulkea deals with one of the issues that irritates me about the TP which is the opening. I like the U shape on the Kulkea. Now if they'd add the fold down for storage like the DB I think they'd have a pretty perfect bag.
@KULKEA please consider some feedback here. :thumb:

We wil be adding a rolling bag to the test fleet with one of our reviewers. I will reiterate, regarding Kulkea's quality...I have 100 days of use with their heated bag and I will say it looks fantastic. No wear on the corners, no stresses showing in the seams, and the material wipes down great. All bags are not created equal and after a FULL season of use, the Kulkea shows that they offer a product at a higher level. :ogcool:

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now if they'd add the fold down for storage like the DB I think they'd have a pretty perfect bag.
I agree - the "fold down" seems to be the key feature selling me on the DB double ski bag. As far as I see, none of the soft bags (SportTube excluded) have "structure" tip to tail. This results in a sag at the top of the bag, making it more difficult to manage. This is my primary complaint with the Dakine. A quarter of the bag (hee, quarter bag) seems to drag along the ground with little help from the wheels. The concept of rolling the bag (and handle) down to the top of the longest ski seems to eliminate the sag factor. It also allows the full length of the bag to roll fully down to the wheels and lock in for storage.

Here's a good YouTube vid showing the bag in use:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor

Love the feedback, this is how we get better!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Awesome! I don't anticipate a new bag purchase for a few years. I'll be on the lookout for the roll-down model.
:golfclap:
Ah-ha, waiting it out, good move - I toyed with that "slick" Thule 2x Roundtrip Roller at EMS. Although a more featured design then Dakine it appeared to be made of the exact same 600-denier polyester exterior and same exact interior mterial and padding as the Dakine. Wouldn't surprise me if they are manufactured in the same shop by the same company, probably Dakine, IDK.

Coincidentally, Transpack Ski Vault 2x Pro bag arrived on my doorstep today. Initial impressions, heavy, but nicely padded and the Ski Vault's 1680 ballistic nylon feels more durable then Dakine's 600-denier polyester. Same can be said of the interior material. It also has a thick'ish vinyl backside. I'm pleased to find the material of the 2 zippered extention sections are also padded.
I have a few more months before airline travel and am thinking about ordering the Swix Gold Lite Wheeled 2x bag to compare before commiting to the Transpack Ski Vault. I will also be on the lookout for the new KULEKA 2x roller at my local ski shop which carries the Kantaja single bag.

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
We have a double DB and a Dakine Fall line, and when it is time to replace the Dakine it will be another DB. The compact storage, no sag and adjustable size were the things that sold us the bag, but the handle placement is the feature that I didn't know we wanted until we used the bag. In addition to handles on the end of the bag, it has two handles on top of the bag which are genius for getting the bag on and off airline scales and baggage carousels and for loading and unloading into the car/ van etc. A thousand times better than the side handle on the Dakine.

As with many others I pack other gear around the skis, but the bag holds things in place really well.

As far as durability goes, it has noticeably less wear from airline baggage handlers that the Dakine at the same age. But, I am a realist. We travel on airlines a lot with skis (and other luggage), it gets worn, it will rub against other luggage and things; and if you are super unlucky it might be the bag that gets caught on something and damaged more seriously. Travelling internationally we have travel insurance and domestically our household insurance covers serious damage should the need arise.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the feedback, this is how we get better!

A bit more feedback. Please consider offering a shorter length in the future, like 175-180cm. I understand that when you only have one model you need to be able to accommodate the largest number of people, so having a 195-205cm bag covers that. As someone whos longest skis are 173cm your bag is just too long, which is too bad because it looks fantastic otherwise. I'd rather give my money to a forum sponsor and a MA business but in this case I'm going to pick up a competitor with a 175cm bag option.

Sponsor

Staff online