• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had been debating a new ski bag for this season. I didn't REALLY need a new bag, but my current Dakine is getting pretty beat up and while it's functional, the lack of tie downs and a divider isn't ideal. I've been casually keeping an eye out for a decent deal on one of the bags I thought might work for me, and found a store that carries the Kulkea Kantaja double roller where I had a gift card and another discount i could access, so I pulled the trigger.

I just got back from my first trip with the bag and it did great. The size was perfect for the two pairs of skis (188cm and 187cm). The bag is listed as 195cm, but it felt just right for my skis and was a pretty snug fit. It expands an extra 10cm, so it would be fine in that expanded state for longer skis, but might struggle with a true 200+ cm ski. I packed the bag with my bindings retracted and the skis top sheet to top sheet with bases facing out towards the bottom and top of the bag. The tie down straps were the perfect length to pack the skis this way and the divider kept them separated. The bag seems like it has pretty good structure to it even without skis inside, and in this configuration, the bag was super solid with the thickly padded exterior being supported by the skis. Weight of the bag is about 10lbs, and with two pairs of fairly heavy skis with metal bindings, it was still comfortably under the weight limit. I packed my son's 165cm skis in there too (bases to the sides with top sheet / bindings facing towards the center of the bag) and they fit comfortably, and weight with that third pair was approx. 55lbs (which was fine given I have a 70lb limit with my airline status).

I'm very happy with the purchase. I've had a couple of bags from Dakine and one from Ogio, and this is head and shoulders ahead of those in terms of quality and design. Highly recommended.
I took my Dakine ski sleeve on two trips last season, and both times I ended up getting a hole in the bag from wear from the ski brakes. I'll try to do a better job of securing them this year, but that and the lack of tie downs inside the bag bug me enough that I'll likely be looking for a better bag next season.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Carry-on easy is exactly why we designed the Kartta and Käydä bags. The way we shaped the bags and the fact there are no wheels systems also means additional volume. Not to mention that a backpack is a lot more efficient than a roller bag if you're pulling a roller ski bag or trudging through winter weather or over cobblestones, etc.
So if there were a heated Käydä or Kartta that would be awesome.

I prefer to have the Thermal Trekker with me even when I travel, I check it with my double roller ski bag so that both count as once piece of luggage. I do not actually have my ski boots in the Thermal Trekker, boots go in my roller carry on with me on the plane, and other items that might normal go in the carry on are in the Thermal Trekker. Once I claimed all my baggage I might rearrange things and put the boots back in their proper place. Or not. Either way, I wear the Thermal Trekker, and have the rolling double ski bag in one hand and in the other my rolling carry on with a personal item back secured to it.

So again, if there were a heated Käydä ......although I might be able to take the heating pads from a Thermal Trekker and wrap around boots in the Käydä......hmmmm.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I took my Dakine ski sleeve on two trips last season, and both times I ended up getting a hole in the bag from wear from the ski brakes. I'll try to do a better job of securing them this year, but that and the lack of tie downs inside the bag bug me enough that I'll likely be looking for a better bag next season.
All Kulkea ski and snowboard bags have reinforced board buckle tie downs, including our ski sleeves. Unlike some brands which skip on the tie downs or literally just add in lace like ties, we include buckle tie downs. We also use high quality fabrics and YKK zippers even on our ski sleeves. For airline travel, however, we recommend a padded bag unless fully wrapping the skis or snowboard.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
All Kulkea ski and snowboard bags have reinforced board buckle tie downs, including our ski sleeves. Unlike some brands which skip on the tie downs or literally just add in lace like ties, we include buckle tie downs. We also use high quality fabrics and YKK zippers even on our ski sleeves. For airline travel, however, we recommend a padded bag unless fully wrapping the skis or snowboard.
Oh, this bag was padded. I don't think it's completely the bag's fault. I do blame Denver. :)

Sponsor

Staff online