• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Bought mine when I joined PSIA in 1969, after I had foresaken my painfully stiff (when cold) Langes for Rosemonts.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have two kinds of questions about the "rocking horse" movement pattern.

The first is historical.
--Has the "rocking horse" movement pattern (actively moving under-ski pressure from tip to waist to tail through the turn) ever been openly and publicly promoted by PSIA? By this I mean did PSIA ever write this down in official manuals and disseminate it through clinics?
--If so, has anyone here noticed that active promotion growing less visible over the years? If yes, did that happen with the advent of shaped skis, or a change in teaching philosophy, or something else?
--To what extent do instructors find this movement pattern promoted by PSIA now in training clinics and manuals?her

The second is technical.
If you've got thoughts on this movement pattern's effectiveness on groomers, powder, bumps, etc., or its appropriateness when using different types of skis, please share.

Speaking for the CSIA system... it didn't rate any mention in L1 and L2 when I did them in 2017. Nor was it prominent in a L3 prep course in 2018 - of course I may have missed it as there were various groups working with different instructors (or I may have just plain not being paying attention) but it clearly wasn't something regularly discussed. Largely I feel that was mostly because the instructors were working to get everybody off the front of their skis throughout the turn and closer to a central balance point. Need to get the gross stuff corrected before working with subtleties. Go to any hill and I'm willing to bet you'll see plenty of people (up to and including many L2 instructors) who are sliding their ski tails on exit because they are so far forward that the balance point is 1/2 way to the tips. This was pointed out to maybe 2/3 of our group (me included) in the 1st video critique of our skiing.

To a certain extent we were then left to work things out for ourselves. A fair few reminders "back, back, much further back back..." but we were expected to offer a critique on our own skiing in vid reviews. Fair enough - physician, diagnose thyself. (They were plenty willing to dive in if we got stuck. Or prematurely claimed improvement.) Of course if we keep correcting a movement pattern in one direction sooner or later it's going to go too far. And, sure enough - "now you are too far back, forward a little".

It probably pays not to get too complacent - one of our instructors mentioned that in over 25 years as an instructor he could only recall being perfectly balanced throughout one turn. Is that being hyper-critical? Maybe - then again it's the sort of thinking required to make the Western Canada Interski team.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Thank you, geepers. That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for in this thread.

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
From Ron Kipps "Alpine Skiing"

“To carve the ski, we need to start with the front of the ski. Moving weight to the ball of the feet will accomplish this (figure 11.7). From this position, the skier can rotate and tip the ski to start the turn as needed. As the turn develops into the fall line, the skier will shift her weight rearward to the center of the foot and finish on the heel and arch. At no time was the skier ever using the high, stiff back of the ski boot. This feature of the ski boot is for emergency use only. The weight of the skier is always going through the bottom of the boot.”

Excerpt From: Ronald Kipp. “Alpine Skiing.” iBooks. https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/alpine-skiing/id529995814?mt=11
171-1.png

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @rcc55125 for that quote.
I wonder why he doesn't mention using the front of the cuff/tongue of the boot.

Even though the red spot (pressure) is at the ball of the feet at top of the turn. What is usually the attitude of the ankle at the top of the turn?

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Assuming a round turn as in Ron Kipp's graphic, the top of the turn is when the skis are light. The shin is not going to be pressing hard into the tongue at that point, no matter where the underfoot pressure is.

Wrench into the works:
What about all those turns where the skier drops into the turn to get upside down on the hill, is aft over the skis momentarily but forward in the turn, and the skis catch up at the fall line. Is BoF pressure still in force at the top of that turn?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks, @rcc55125 for that quote.
I wonder why he doesn't mention using the front of the cuff/tongue of the boot.

In CSIA L2 we learnt how to use light contact between shin and boot front as a reference point, with lifting of the toes to ensure weight remained centered at the back of the foot arch, just in front of the arch of the heel. That certainly works well and makes for easy initial rotation of the skis in what CSIA term intermediate parallels.

More recently an L4 told us that he maintains light shin contact all the time as a reference, and lifts the outside toes of each foot - bigger toes lifted on the foot of the inside ski, smaller toes lifted on the foot of the outside ski. (I'm still working on that one. :))

As I understand it these are not universal in CSIA however it may get more widespread as both those instructors are on the current Western Canada Interski team.

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
Here's Jonathan Ballou talking about CoP under the heel in transition. He refers to it as "the place of power".
He also talks about keeping shin contact by using the tibialis anterior to get forward pressure while the weight is thru the heel.
Note, this is thru transition. He defines transition as the place where pressure is transferred from the old outside ski to the new outside prior to edge change.
It's an interesting podcast.
https://soundcloud.com/snowpros/first-chair-how-to-take-your-skiing-from-good-to-awesome-part-2

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, but we only need that “place of power” in turn phase 3 when the turn forces are greatest and stability is key. In turn phase one, however, mobility is key as we need to get that ski out from under our CoM and where that "place of power" does not offer the lateral mobility to get the skis tipped high and quick into turn phase one.

I’m reading a divide in the conception of ankle tipping. Ankle tipping inside the boot is not used to “directly” set the angle status of the base of the ski. Ankle “tipping” is not ski “tipping”. The few degrees of ankle flexion we may get “inside” a well fitting boot with inversion and eversion is to create leverage, or a “tension”, between cuff and sole in the lateral plane, that we then use to stabilize the ankle to then provide strong and accurate tipping of the ski with a fully activated ankle. This is how the ankle is ultimately able to leverage the boot and have so much power with which to initiate and control a turn. And, of course, the geometric “compliance” to high tipping is going to be served throughout the entire skeleton as does rotary.

And remember, as you stand there tweaking your ankles, that this inversion/eversion is highly muted the further back sole pressure becomes and why the timing for this mobility is in phase one. At the end of the turn, phase 3, we are more settled towards the back of the boot where, while the lateral mobility for eversion and inversion is gone, the ankle then becomes laterally stabilized and a stability that is at its highest along with the forces in the turn that are also at their highest. This is why it can help to explain technique in turn phases where our biomechanics goes through certain changes of status regarding the mutual exclusivity of the accessibility of mobility and stability within the kinetic chain.

Something to keep in mind regarding the migration of pressure from ball to heel and tip to tail is that, because the BoS takes a route farther than the CoM, but is attached to the CoM, it is, therefore, “circling” around the CoM and especially so in short radius carved turns. Imagine the line, or vector, between the CoM and the BoS as a swinging stick. Allowing the outside foot to push forward of the CoM, “below the knee” and through the turn is also part of the act of keeping our CoM at its most balanced, advantageous and leverage inducing position over the BoS. We can “start” forward in a short swing or carved turn but we just can’t “stay” forward and continue to manage the correct/ideal pressure over the ski. Conversely, if you want to ride just one spot over the sole, it has to start and stay more aft. That vector or line between the CoM and BoS needs to be stacked over and aligned with the main upward vector of the GFR produced by the turn.

We can also look at the fore to aft migration of pressure under the sole of the foot as upward returning ground force reaction that is produced by tipping a ski with a pronounced shovel and a pronounced tail. Think of ground force reaction as an impulse that passes through the foot from ball to heel.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What is usually the attitude of the ankle at the top of the turn?

Fed up. "Is this all you can think of? Over and over, all f-ing day? What about something with some variety, eh mate? A little badminton or tennis, perhaps. Or just propping me up in front of that nice fireplace in the lodge. I'd settle for that, yes I would!"

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fed up. "Is this all you can think of? Over and over, all f-ing day? What about something with some variety, eh mate? A little badminton or tennis, perhaps. Or just propping me up in front of that nice fireplace in the lodge. I'd settle for that, yes I would!"

Sounds like we need to take your ankles out back for an attitude adjustment session.
We usually do knees, but for you, we’ll adjust the ankles instead.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
tenor.gif

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Searched for skiing gifs randomly and when i saw that I thought of this thread!

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier

That's awesome! Fun. :) So . . . . He moves his CoM forward (using his ankle, knee and hip joints) over skis that aren't moving. Ya know . . . he leans forward! Lol! Then he pulls his feet forward to get them back under his pre-positioned CoM (well actually he overdoes it for the fun video and pulls his feet ahead of his CoM).

This is reminiscent of the old center of mass movement!!! Easy peasy way to get the CoM to move forward relative to the BoS! Use our joints Flex and extend them as appropriate. Looks like he is closing his ankles a bit and opening his knees and hips. I would say he's not starting "down low". Instead, he unbends his knees and the hip opens a bit. Then because his CoM is moving forward he can use his weight to flex his ankles a little bit.

Anyway - this is just a fun video, but @Steve - if you could get this much effective fore-aft movement in this fashion, would you still feel the need to add tension to your TA?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Bought mine when I joined PSIA in 1969, after I had foresaken my painfully stiff (when cold) Langes for Rosemonts.

I sooo wish there was a facebook like "love" button for this one! ogsmile (My dad had a pair... amazing contraptions!)

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
@Steve - if you could get this much effective fore-aft movement in this fashion, would you still feel the need to add tension to your TA?

I'm sure he's using all of his muscles.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Yep, same as what we played with in New Zealand:

"· Use the whole of the outside ski through the turn: Engage "binding to tip" to start; "toepiece to heelpiece" in the fall line; "binding to tail" to end."

Like the man said, you paid for the whole ski; may as well use it!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep, same as what we played with in New Zealand:

"· Use the whole of the outside ski through the turn: Engage "binding to tip" to start; "toepiece to heelpiece" in the fall line; "binding to tail" to end."

Like the man said, you paid for the whole ski; may as well use it!

Kind of funny... had read this topic before last ski week for the season. Knew I was too forward and shifted back a little below the fall line. But still not enough to properly work the tail.

Then you put up that long post re Rookies. Maybe that line above was the only thing I could quickly figure out what was meant, but something clicked... "Ah, when they say ski the whole ski they actually mean ski the whole ski included the tail!"
:daffy:

Sometimes it just has to be described another way to get the point.:doh:

Also, I understand that snow boarders have a much easier time than skiers controlling fore/aft balance. Feet spread wide apart and attached to the same plank gives them a much larger range of motion to work with. Us skiers have feet attached to independently moving planks and a very small range of motion.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.