• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

n black

Booting up
Skier
I don't rent skis, and if I did, I wouldn't do this. But sometimes you have to risk a few rocks to play. When the rope drops and the new terrain opens (or it re-opens after patrol clears it) then it's either navigate the rocks or don't ski it. For us weekend warriors who can't pick and choose every single primo powder day, a bit of ptex is a small price to pay. Every once in a rare while, and edge. Price of business.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I haven't had a core shot since the time I skied Big Sky back around... Hmm..2004 or 05? The rocks there are sharp and ubiquitous, and seen to be some kind of shale which can "swim" upwards in the snow. Here the rocks are more likely to be rounded, and churned up by grooming over thin snow. It's a "low tide" year here, and in spite of the fact it's late January, I'm still coming across rocks. But it's just "extra structure" type impact, nothing serious. However, I'm not leaping cliffs. I'm sure if I stood on the cliffs of East Rim scoping my line through Chicken Fingers, I'd be more than happy to ruin some ptex rather than slip over the cliffs.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Avoiding rocks is always a priority for me. And from what I typically observe, other skiers are the same way.

But sometimes rocks/obstacles are literally invisible and you don't know they are there until you feel the impact or scrape. Heck, just today I caught a rock while skiing & didn't even feel it. It wasn't until I got home & checked over the skis that I found the raised burr from a glancing hit that affected 2ft of inside forebody edge. Probably a smaller rock that was tilled up from grooming, just below the surface of the snow.

If I do see a stray smallish rock on the groomed, I'll pick it up & throw it to the base of a tree. If I see large rocks/features being increasingly exposed in the groomed - and they are not marked - I'll complain to the ski patrol when I see them. In any case, where I ski, exposed rocks/obstacles on trails rarely get marked. Even if it's obvious the problem is getting progressively worse day after day.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skis will loose their camber after so many days, so i make the most of it. If the terrain was fun and I hit some rocks underneath, its a small price to pay.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Not surprising ski shops are seeing a lot more base and edge damage now. There are really two aspects of the issue, one with rental skis and the other with skis people own. Most damage I would blame on individuals due to attitude, knowledge, and or lack of intelligence.

With rentals, I'd suspect damage rates are much higher because many renters probably don't care as long as they think they won't have to pay for any damage they cause. Just a sign of the times we live in with a much lower ethical quotient than decades ago in a long list of ways beyond skiing and that especially is true with considerate attitudes of personal responsibility. Ski rental businesses could make a dent in those attitudes by requiring a deposit and on their contract listing what types of damage and how much a renter might be liable for plus offer modest insurance. With expensive demo skis that is even more important.

With skis people own, in part as noted more skiers are now off piste where more rocks lurk. Also it depends on how wealthy a person is and how expensive their skis cost. Obviously a rich person can just buy another pair of boards. And even an ordinary wealth person skiing on cheap used $150 skis is not going to care much versus if they are skiing new $800 skis. Of course old rock skis don't count. Beyond that there also seems to be many younger skiers that probably do care about damaging their skis, that ski locations I would avoid. On early season low tide fresh powder days many skiers seem to be oblivious to lurking rocks below surfaces. Like many if in areas they are not familiar with, have little understanding of where snow deposition is likely to be shallow versus deep enough. Thus any place that just looks white they cannot see below surfaces are fair game while I look at the same terrain and understand such is likely to be shallow.

My fat 2012 Rossignol S7 powder skis see much less skiing and are in even better shape than my bump skis I ride most on. Early season I am not one to ski off runs on fresh powder days unless I have confidence snow is deep enough.

I value my 2011 Dynastar Twister bump skis and now in their 8th season, are still in great shape. The bump runs early season do have a fair number of obstacles. The only rocks I ever seem to hit are small loose rollers underneath the snow and they rarely cause much damage. Usually fixed with a tiny amount of p-tex and edge filing out little nicks that I do almost every trip before skiing. Real damage is when one hits an immobile rock. Last time I had to use a shop to repair a core shot was maybe 2 decades ago. As a lower speed fall line bump skier I am very quick at avoiding rocks by being able to turn away or jump over them at close distance.

Last edited:

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
If at all possible I will avoid exposed dirt, rocks, etc. But sometimes you don’t see exposed rocks until you are almost on top of them. Over the last few years I’ve changed my attitude. I feel it’s safer to maintain the line rather than doing some hop, skip or jump to try and avoid it. I’m talking about rocks or scree that’s become exposed through the pack. I still have the uh-oh moment when I ski over it.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I try to avoid them but sometimes they hide and you don 't see them. Some people don't seem to care but I like to think that most people don't do it intentionally. Many places won't let the demos go out until conditions level out. If I ever demo at mount snow and it's early season Karl will usually let me take something out but only if I promise to avoid rocks ;)

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am taking day old pair of 19 brahmas to MRG today. I think their coverage is good, and my agility is high..

wish me luck!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am taking day old pair of 19 brahmas to MRG today. I think their coverage is good, and my agility is high..

wish me luck!
MRG saying: "You either arrive with rock skis..or leave with them...." ;) Good luck.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
I don't try to hit rocks. However, there often isn't enough snow to cover them properly.

A couple of sayings come to mind.

"Skis, they are tools, not jewels."

"They are rock skis as soon as you mount bindings on them."

James

Out There
Instructor
U.S. Ski & Snowboard Hall of Famer @Dan Egan says "There are two types of skis, skis that have yet to be mounted and rock skis". Every ski will eventually become a rock ski, some just sooner than others.
Yes, I've handled his skis. Poles were rough too.

TS
C

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like it is the same all over the country. We don't have a monopoly on "rock skiers". Good news is... Tear 'em up, they'll make more! ogwink

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it never ceases to amaze in the spring when the big rocks come out in the sun. They're covered with long lines from skiers and boarders. These are stought igneous rocks. Will future archaeologists know what they are? Will someone be able to get them for their kitchen counter?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Sometimes ya just gotta do what you gotta do...
Olympic Lady dirt route Spring 18'.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online