• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road Tubeless Tire Recommendations

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I meant for tubeless. I would buy new tires. the ride quality and greatly improved Roll resistance with the 5K TL's is worth the money now.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
those tires are a few years old. Originally, it was Stans. the Schwalbe bead (one the older version) is very stiff and tight.

Again, I would buy new tires and be done with the issues.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
I'm rolling the New Pro One TLE (Addix) they are really nice tires. they are much improved from the prior version, Nice feel (significantly improved), roll very well and have solid grip.
Good intel. I've been on the Pro/Pro One since 2013, and have had better results with the former than the latter. The Pro One just seemed to cut easier, or I just steered for every sharp object on the road. I've liked the ride with both, and if the New Pro One has better feel, even more betterer. Ultegra tubeless rims, with zero mounting issues.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Good intel. I've been on the Pro/Pro One since 2013, and have had better results with the former than the latter. The Pro One just seemed to cut easier, or I just steered for every sharp object on the road. I've liked the ride with both, and if the New Pro One has better feel, even more betterer. Ultegra tubeless rims, with zero mounting issues.

Mounting: mounted them by hand, no levers on Enve 4.5Ar's.. Used a compressor but they seated right up literally, the easiest tire to mount.

I have about 300 miles on them so far, no issues, because of the Rim width, I rum them at 58/61 and love them. they are about 90% of the suppleness of the 5000 TL and I dont think I can tell any difference in speed. they are also about 90% of the grip of the 5000TL, you can feel a slight difference in the corners but Im not a pro so they more than fine for me.

gone is that hard, stiff sidewall feel and gone is the oversized issue. my 28's inflated to 30 (actual 29.90) on 25c internal width rims. So expect the tire to run pretty much 29 on a 21c and 28 on a 19c rim

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dropped off my road bike for tune up. They noted cracks in my tires, so we decided to go with new tires. Given @Ron's praise of the Conti 5K, bit the bullet and went tubeless too. Also need new brake pads. I'm going to guess they'll call about chain and cassette soon enough. It'll be pretty much a new bike when overhauled. Hopefully it'll be ready by Sunday for my long ride.

Fingers crossed. Hoping to be able to tell the difference. Definitely hoping braking experience will be better. I've been going down some long steep slopes and the hands do get tired.

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mike, buy a Dynaplug racer and keep it int your rear pocket for quick access,

These look even better, and are bike specific:

I'm going to pull the trigger on one.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
These look even better, and are bike specific:

bike specific? The dynaplug is only for bikes. I looked at those. im sure it works fine too. the Stans one differs in that its for large cuts that Stans cant repair and requires existing Stans inside the tire to interact with the patch material.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I added a Tubilito to the repair kit for those flats where you cant repair them, 23 grams, tiny and easy to stow. I got one for road and one for gravel, the gravel one is larger but still a fraction of a regular tube. they make these for MTN bikes too of course.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
bike specific? The dynaplug is only for bikes. I looked at those. im sure it works fine too. the Stans one differs in that its for large cuts that Stans cant repair and requires existing Stans inside the tire to interact with the patch material.

Yup, the Stans unit looks superior for mtb tires, while the Dynaplug would be better for road tire.

FWIW, the Stans "dart" plugs react with any latex-based sealant.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I added a Tubilito to the repair kit for those flats where you cant repair them, 23 grams, tiny and easy to stow. I got one for road and one for gravel, the gravel one is larger but still a fraction of a regular tube. they make these for MTN bikes too of course.

Tubolitos are a vital part of my summer tank slick project - a sandwich of PU tube, PU foam and the lightest beach racing slicks I can find.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Bad day on the road for me today.

Weather was gorgeous. So went out intending for a long’ish ride, with several big climbs and descends. There was a descend I know usually “grow” tons of potholes every spring. So when I saw a fresh sign “Bump”, I chuckled. Yeah, yea, for those who don’t know...

I slowly picked my way through the potholes. Then the pavement improved. I let the speed build up... Up ahead, the trees made a shadowy pattern on the road. In those shadows, there were another bunch of potholes, some with jagged edge! And I was speeding towards it at a decent clip...

My bike bounced like a bronco on them potholes. I was barely able to control the bike on a straight line without getting tossed off the side. And I hit some of the potholes HARD! I wasn’t even thinking about flats. I was just struggling to stay upright. When I got through, I felt it on my butt. That sickening “bang, bang, bang” jolting of rims hitting the pavement. I had a double flat!

I fixed one of them quickly. But the rim/tire combo was a little tighter on the other wheel. All the while I was debating whether to cut my ride short by turning around, as I would be without any more spares after I fixed the second flat. I was there long enough, one of the passing motorist slowed and asked if I needed help...

I didn’t feel like taking a ride inside a stranger’s car. But he has a pickup. So I asked if he could just let me and my bike ride in the bed. As we were actually not too far from where my car was. That worked.

Haven’t looked at the bike yet. I might have even potentially dented one of the rim. Good thing I got another bike. And I just bought a bunch of tubes...

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ski&ride glad to hear you weren't hurt. Pot holes and gravel/sand are my biggest fears when riding road. I've hit a pot hole hard enough to jar the water bottle out of its cage.

Anyway to get an x-ray of the frame?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Anyway to get an x-ray of the frame?
Don’t see the need. Unless you hit a tree head on or something like that. Or lay your bike down on rocks HARD!

For potholes, the wheel will take the hit and do its job of “suspension”, even in the case of tire/tube failure. But I’ve had rim damages in the past though.

Frame damages I heard all involves direct hit to the frame itself, which usually has outward sign of the hit. Otherwise, it’s almost always related to manufacturing defects. Usually joint failure, not metal failure.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
glad you are OK and YOU didnt need X-rays. :).
Yeah, the thought ran through my mind. Pretty terrified.

Internally, I automatically switched into “mountain biking mode”, which is basically go where the bike is pointing. Let the bike take the best route, stay with the bike and stay upright.

Good that I’ve been mountain biking a fair amount lately. Got plenty of practices (it was only the last 2 weeks it got warm enough to road ride)

Last edited:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t see the need. Unless you hit a tree head on or something like that. Or lay your bike down on rocks HARD!

For potholes, the wheel will take the hit and do its job of “suspension”, even in the case of tire/tube failure. But I’ve had rim damages in the past though.

Frame damages I heard all involves direct hit to the frame itself, which usually has outward sign of the hit. Otherwise, it’s almost always related to manufacturing defects. Usually joint failure, not metal failure.

I once hit a pothole “just right” - I run my tires hard to avoid pinch flats here in New England, but I succeeded in bending the front axle on my carbon road bike. My LBS couldn’t believe there was no damage to the rim (Shimano Dura-Ace C24 wheel set) or the bike. The frame as about 10,000 miles on it since. Having said that, I have double flatted on hitting small “cracks“ in the road

Sponsor

Staff online