• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road Tubeless Tire Recommendations

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm really hoping these tires have stretched a bit and/or that I NEVER have to try and change it on the road.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Really? Is this on the Lemond's OEM Racelites? Vittorias are about all I ever ran on mine.

Yeah, Open Corsa CX on OEM Racelites. I think it's just one of those things of tolerances. The Racelites are a little big, the Corsas are a little small. Not a good combo! I think that with RoadTubeless ( <--- capitalized because that is a standard) and UST you can expect better tolerances.

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Are you refreshing sealant?
I got into Tubeless simply because they came with the bike purchase. I do have tire sealant and valve removal tool, but, I been having my LBS put in fresh sealant at the start of the year when he does the yearly maintenance. My issue last season was on 3 occasions, I went to ride and had a flat that I could not reseal with my tire pump. The PITA is you can't just go ride. I have a great relationship with my local LBS, only a few minute walk, but, he can be buzy. Yeah, I should get a higher volume pump or small compressor, but, I did not need one until last year. What is somewhat unique about my riding, is I just have the best 20 mile ride, on wide roads, low traffic and mostly bike lanes, all right our my front door. Road flats have never been an issue.

I plan to order new tires and will go with @Ron Conti 5000 TL. They appear to be in backorder at some on-line shops. My experience is when tires begin to flatten, it's best just to replace them. My other issue is a recent move to a very small town where the LBS is only open seasonally, and, now closed due to virus shutdown.

Additionally, I'm 7 weeks post Total knee Replacement and riding a spin bike at home. So, I do have time and a "around town" bike to ride until I'm fully ready for the BMC road experience.

I do smile at some of the issues raised by Epic and others about mounting tires and pinch flats. I have little strength in my hands and just fight tire removal and reinstall. Last fall, I bought new tires for my 700 cross-trainer and spent way too long getting the job done, including pinch flats of the tubes.

Thanks Ron! Still loving the BMC

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, to be fair, the new Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tires are not that similar to the five or six year old versions.

@Erik Timmerman, those older Hutchinson tubeless road tires you mentioned that don't even need sealant might be the most difficult to mount road tires I've ever encountered!

I'm tubeless from mtb down to gravel 35s, but for road slicks I use tubes. Mostly because I don't use them much and don't want to remember to spin them every month.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Well, to be fair, the new Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tires are not that similar to the five or six year old versions.

I'm rolling the New Pro One TLE (Addix) they are really nice tires. they are much improved from the prior version, Nice feel (significantly improved), roll very well and have solid grip.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have someone already mentioned the new Conti GP 5000 TL?

Pretty decent stuff.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have someone already mentioned the new Conti GP 5000 TL?

Pretty decent stuff.
LOL. yes.

Boy, I have never met a Conti that didn't screw up at least one of my days. MTB or road.

Admittedly, that's 10 years in my rear view mirror now, but too many other tires to ever go back.

If I go tubeless road, it will be on these new Bontrager R3s in 32. They ride BEAUTIFULLY. But I'm admittedly prejudiced (though too old to ride anything I don't really love).

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bontrager R3s in 32. They ride BEAUTIFULLY.

Thanks. Will try them when/if my Conti fail me or it is just time for new ones. These certainly look nice with the tan sidewalls and 32 is exactly what I want on my sportive bike.

scott43

Skier
You know, I raced on Conti's in XC MTB without an issue. I've been using other tires in the last 5 years but I don't have a bad memory of them. I still love Michelin tires though..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, I raced on Conti's in XC MTB without an issue. I've been using other tires in the last 5 years but I don't have a bad memory of them. I still love Michelin tires though..

Yeah, not sure Michelin makes a bad tire for any vehicle or application!

Here in the states at least, they don't seem to push for much of an mtb presence.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I have never met a Conti that didn't screw up at least one of my days. MTB or road.
I keep hearing the same Conti horror story from many others.

I guess I live a charmed life. My first set of Conti (2000?) lasted for something like 8 years! Not knowing any “better”, my 2nd set of... Conti 4000! lasted 5-6 years. I rarely have flat on either of them.

Granted, I only put 2000mi/year on them on average (I have 2 bikes).

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
If I go tubeless road, it will be on these new Bontrager R3s in 32. They ride BEAUTIFULLY. But I'm admittedly prejudiced (though too old to ride anything I don't really love).

unless trek changed something, they are only making the 32 in tubeless? they really need to be ridden with a 23-25 internal 30-32 external rim. I can say the gravel GR-1 team tire is really nice though. on our hard packed dirt grade 1 & 2 roads, they sing. A little too draggy on pavement but doable. I wish they would out a tire with a file tread center an some small side lugs. Only IRC and Vittoria has something similar but the IRC is a 650b and the Vittoria is a whopping 500 + gram tire. The market needs this tire.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
unless trek changed something, they are only making the 32 in tubeless? they really need to be ridden with a 23-25 internal 30-32 external rim. I can say the gravel GR-1 team tire is really nice though. on our hard packed dirt grade 1 & 2 roads, they sing. A little too draggy on pavement but doable. I wish they would out a tire with a file tread center an some small side lugs. Only IRC and Vittoria has something similar but the IRC is a 650b and the Vittoria is a whopping 500 + gram tire. The market needs this tire.

28 tubeless coming soon, or so I hear. That's my preferred road size for the nice wheels I already own.

You're right, the GR-1 is a great light duty gravel tire. The LT-2 is an equally great heavier duty gravel tire. I just wear the rear one down most of the way, and it becomes the file tread with side lugs tire you want! :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Only IRC and Vittoria has something similar but the IRC is a 650b and the Vittoria is a whopping 500 + gram tire. The market needs this tire.

Wait, am I reading this right - you want something like a WTB Byway except in 28 tubeless? Or more like the Maxxis Speed Terrane?

I guess I live a charmed life. My first set of Conti (2000?) lasted for something like 8 years! Not knowing any “better”, my 2nd set of... Conti 4000! lasted 5-6 years. I rarely have flat on either of them.

Granted, I only put 2000mi/year on them on average (I have 2 bikes).

Holy cr@p. If I get 2 - 2.5K out of a tire I call it done and good value at that.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the IRC is about perfect design, I would like to se Gravelking make it.

or this but not 500 grams.

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
A quick update on my tire situation. This past Saturday, my local LBS opened for the season, so, I took my dual flat tires and bike in for spring maintenance. I deferred ordering new Conti 5000 TL's because they were out of stock with a few week lead times. The mechanic was able to reinflate 1 tire easily, the other would not seal and he put a tube inside. His advice was to get another summer on the Schwable Pro Ones, my riding demands are very basic, so that is the plan.

BTW, I met my match in trying and failing to remove the Pro Ones from the rims prior to the shop opening. I would never want to be on the road and have to deal with a flat. I'd be calling my wife to come and get me!

Sponsor

Staff online