• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road Tubeless Tire Recommendations

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I thought this was a great photo, speaking about the trend to lower pressures in general..this is a MotoGP bike..
1587668171970.png

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
there's much more volume inside of the tire without an inner tube and there's lower rolling resistance as well. BUT if you aren't concerned over a few watts and the risk for pinch flats and such, keep the tubes, it won't change your life :).

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I’m definitely not concern over a few watts. :cool:

And the risk of pinch flat remain theoretical to me.

Another “advantage” I heard is the sealant also stops flats from road debris.

Although I haven’t had any flats from road debris for a few years. But I fear my luck could run out at some point. So I would be happy to take advantage of that eventually.

The primary reason I briefly considered it for the road was because I was replacing tires. I wouldn’t bother “upgrade” for little or no discernible benefits. But will be happy to “modernize” at the next opportunity.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I’m definitely not concern over a few watts. :cool:

And the risk of pinch flat remain theoretical to me.

Another “advantage” I heard is the sealant also stops flats from road debris.

Although I haven’t had any flats from road debris for a few years. But I fear my luck could run out at some point. So I would be happy to take advantage of that eventually.

The primary reason I briefly considered it for the road was because I was replacing tires. I wouldn’t bother “upgrade” for little or no discernible benefits. But will be happy to “modernize” at the next opportunity.

right now im riding 100 miles per week and will be amping that up as the weather starts to improve so these small gains really add up and when you are riding on chip N seal roads for 3-4 hours, comfort starts to really matter as does efficiency and certainly safety. One thing that I learned moving from NJ, you suddenly live in an area where you often dont have cell coverage and there's nothing or nobody anywhere near you if you get into trouble. The shits real! :). BTW- you would surprised how much even 4-5 watts adds up to over a 60 mile ride.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I pinched 4-5 tubes in one day last year trying to install a set of Vittorias on Bontrager rims.

Really? Is this on the Lemond's OEM Racelites? Vittorias are about all I ever ran on mine.

I thought this was a great photo, speaking about the trend to lower pressures in general..this is a MotoGP bike..

As soon as I can ride again, I will be testing Tannus Armour inserts with Tubolite TPU tubes. Remember that tire squirm thread from last year? Well, I didn't want to eff about with Cushcore and this is the next best thing.

Last edited:

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
right now im riding 100 miles per week and will be amping that up as the weather starts to improve so these small gains really add up and when you are riding on chip N seal roads for 3-4 hours, comfort starts to really matter as does efficiency and certainly safety. One thing that I learned moving from NJ, you suddenly live in an area where you often dont have cell coverage and there's nothing or nobody anywhere near you if you get into trouble. The shits real! :). BTW- you would surprised how much even 4-5 watts adds up to over a 60 mile ride.
Not convinced. ogsmile

I typically ride ~200 mile/week in the middle of summer. But my mileage is more time limited rather than efficiency (tiredness) limited. So yes, if I’m more efficient, I would up my mileage. Except the extra miles means nothing to me.

I’m proud to say I’ve only had ONE mechanical I couldn’t fix (missing a shimano chain pin) during my several decades of riding, majority of those years pre-cell phone. So safety due to flat tire isn’t something I ever worry about.

I survived 10 years of riding in and out of New York City, where the roads are terrible and neighborhood even scarier. I’m certainly a lot more relaxed these days riding in and around the “no man’s land” of Dutchess and Litchfield county!

Still, I’ll revisit this and look at my options again the next time I change tires. If I can avoid having to fix even 1 flat, it’s icing on the cake. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
efficiency = time
No. It’s the reverse.

I need more work in less time..sooo...putting on 2.5's with tubes in my Huffy MTB and CRUSHING it tomorrow! :ogbiggrin:
Funny I’ve been using my mountain bike lately. More work in less time.

Though riding on trails might have something to do with that! :cool:

I purposely pick routes as hilly as I can find. Again, more work in the same time.

(everyone is talking about what to do with their time. I don’t have any more time in hand! Only longer “to do” list)

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Any guesses on how often he replaces his tires? I also am still on inner-tubes because I don't want to deal with the mess, and inner tubes are cheap. I don't get too many road miles each season, say 500-700, but my current ride is probably 3-4 years old. This thread has me thinking replacing tires might be a safety issue.

It will rely so much on so many factors. I have a bike that I typically use for long, steady, low intensity riding. My two long rides / week are in the 4.5 hour range. That equipment - from tires to chains and cassettes, lasts for ever.

Conversely, my bike that I do intense interval work with sees a lot more wear and tear, in a far shorter span of time.

Tires are cheap compared to an ER visit. And I wouldn't want to go to a hospital now.

Best to you.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So I'm going to brag(?) a bit here...I've probably changed10,000 bicycle tires in my life..and I, like Erik, take pride in never using tire levers to install a tire. HOWEVER...every once in a while there is a rim/tire combo that just won't let you do it. The original Specialized Turbo-S kevlar-bead tires were like that. I've done some MTB tires that were ridiculous. But it takes a great deal of skill to not puncture the tube when you have to resort to levers to get a tire on. I'd have folks looking at me like I'm an idiot doing it for the first time and I'd want to punch them right in the face.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I too, have one tire/rim combo that’s really hard to get off.

Oddly enough, it’s not that hard to get it back on. Go figure.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January