• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road ID

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to have a Road ID bracelet when I lived in Michigan and rode mountain bike alone on a regular basis.
Recently when we were looking for unique dog tags for Gypsy, Road ID came up in a google search for dog tags.
Road ID Gypsy.jpeg

I haven't used my road ID bracelet since moving to Tahoe because I rarely ride alone, and because the tag on it doesn't have current emergency contact information. But with their system, you can get a new tag for the old bracelet. If I can find mine after 10 years I may just get a new tag.

Does anyone here use Road ID or something like it?

Edit personal information in original picture.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've often thought I should, since I sometimes ride in remote areas alone, but I don't.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does anyone here use Road ID?

You betcha. I wear mine cycling, running, hiking or skiing - even out walking. Any time when a fall/accident/whatever might incapacitate me. I use the on-line version which enables a first responder to get into an area on the RoadID website where they get my full details, and those details are updated as, e.g., my insurance changes. It has 3 lines for personal info, so it has my name, year of birth, wife's name and cell #, and the 3rd line says NKDA RHR 48 A2+, so no known drug allergies, slow resting heart rate of 48 and blood type A2+. The last 2 lines have the login info for more detailed information on me.

You only have to read a few stories on their website of people being picked up unconscious and transported to hospital where the hospital knows nothing about them and then contrast with people with a RoadID where often the significant other will get there pretty much the same time and be able to provide information and support, to know that this is great idea!

And btw, just because you don't ride alone much isn't a great reason not to wear it … unfortunately there have been times when multiple people have been injured in an accident (or unfortunately, worse, a deliberate act).

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And btw, just because you don't ride alone much isn't a great reason not to wear it … unfortunately there have been times when multiple people have been injured in an accident (or unfortunately, worse, a deliberate act).
QFT.
I have been digging around to see if I can find my Road ID and get a new tag with current information on it. Still can't find it :(

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Use mine for every sport. @Tricia , if you have a fitness tracker, check and see if there is Road ID for it. I had one for my Garmin. But I've switched to Samsung. Not sure if they have one yet for it. So I got a new plaque for my bracelet. My d#@n next of kin, changes her phone #, like change my underwear. Family!!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have one on my road bike shoes. I keep meaning to get one to put on my mountain bike shoes.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Use mine for every sport. @Tricia , if you have a fitness tracker, check and see if there is Road ID for it. I had one for my Garmin. But I've switched to Samsung. Not sure if they have one yet for it. So I got a new plaque for my bracelet. My d#@n next of kin, changes her phone #, like change my underwear. Family!!
That is very cool.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I happen to like the little Velcro ones. You get a break if you order several. Ask a medical pro ( @SkiNurse ) what to put on it. Sometimes you're with friends but they might not know key info. Just do it. Get em for Phil too.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I happen to like the little Velcro ones. You get a break if you order several. Ask a medical pro ( @SkiNurse ) what to put on it. Sometimes you're with friends but they might not know key info. Just do it. Get em for Phil too.
Depends on how much info they can hold. Most importantly allergies, heart history (high blood pressure, heart attacks, stents), strokes, lung disease.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a couple of Road IDs with like 5 different colors of the nylon velcro bands. This is a good reminder to start wearing them again, although mine mostly have information on who to call because my dog is home alone. Maybe I need to get Road ID #3 with actual relevant medical information.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Depends on how much info they can hold. Most importantly allergies, heart history (high blood pressure, heart attacks, stents), strokes, lung disease.
I know its important to have something like diabetes on a bracelet like this, but what about hypoglycemia?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I know its important to have something like diabetes on a bracelet like this, but what about hypoglycemia?

Definitely. Low blood sugar is a serious situation that needs quick treatment. As a diabetic all I can say is lows suck!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
DOB? How important is your age?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Definitely. Low blood sugar is a serious situation that needs quick treatment. As a diabetic all I can say is lows suck!
I know of at least two times when my low blood sugar tanked so badly that I passed out. One time while I was actually riding. I got hurt pretty bad.
The other time I passed out right after a ride and a friend rushed me to the hospital where they checked my glucose at 34.
They wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I ate a tray of food.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia I’ve been down to 44 once. Grabbed juice and candy to get it back up. Now I have a continuous glucose monitor, love it. Helps me stay within range easily.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia I’ve been down to 44 once. Grabbed juice and candy to get it back up. Now I have a continuous glucose monitor, love it. Helps me stay within range easily.
My usual bike riding girlfriend is Type1. She has a continuous glucose monitor as well as an insulin pump. One of the reasons she likes riding with me (and vice versa) is because we're both pretty good at recognizing a big swing in glucose ups and downs in each other.

Sponsor

Staff online