• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road biking 2018

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I cannot imagine a 24mph average ride. Is that mostly flat? I know I'm at a disadvantage at altitude but I can't comprehend 45 miles at that speed being B+.

Agree...that's nutz
I'm enjoying life a lot more around 16-18mph average. Rolling to hilly terrain is normal in these parts and I like it that way. Solo preferred or with one or two like minded cyclists on occasion. Paceline riding on mostly flat routes would have me looking for another activity!
For example one of my favorite rides is 63 miles, 8k vertical feet, over half on dirt/gravel. 5 to 5.5 hours at a whopping 12mph average ogsmile

IMG_2314.JPG
spillway.JPG

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I cannot imagine a 24mph average ride. Is that mostly flat? I know I'm at a disadvantage at altitude but I can't comprehend 45 miles at that speed being B+.

Really? I have absolutely no problem imagining a metric in west MD/PA rolling terrain being 24 average (and I very definitely was not one of the people out front!). Remember the old physics experiment when the ball on the dipping path \/ arrives sooner than the ball on the straight path --?

What is a little surprising is that B-level peeps have the legs for 24mph average in May and not July or August. But then, it is Florida and they probably have >>1K in the legs already, probably even double that.

It's finally a nice day here but I only did my quickie 20. Time to go paddle. :D

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really? I have absolutely no problem imagining a metric in west MD/PA rolling terrain being 24 average (and I very definitely was not one of the people out front!). Remember the old physics experiment when the ball on the dipping path \/ arrives sooner than the ball on the straight path --?

What is a little surprising is that B-level peeps have the legs for 24mph average in May and not July or August. But then, it is Florida and they probably have >>1K in the legs already, probably even double that.

It's finally a nice day here but I only did my quickie 20. Time to go paddle. :D

I started second guessing myself so started looking at group rides around here and found that even the fast groups state 16-20 mph average. Maybe that’s because they often include big climbs but that matches what I was thinking. I’m certainly not fast on a bike so I’d never manage to stay with the fast groups as soon as we started climbing. It sure would be fun to be in a 24 mph paceline if I could manage it though.

https://bouldercyclingclub.org/about/ride-descriptions-2/

https://bicyclevillage.com/about/boulder-group-rides-pg581.htm

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I started second guessing myself so started looking at group rides around here and found that even the fast groups state 16-20 mph average. Maybe that’s because they often include big climbs but that matches what I was thinking. I’m certainly not fast on a bike so I’d never manage to stay with the fast groups as soon as we started climbing. It sure would be fun to be in a 24 mph paceline if I could manage it though.

https://bouldercyclingclub.org/about/ride-descriptions-2/

https://bicyclevillage.com/about/boulder-group-rides-pg581.htm
I live in the flatlands and our club rides are labeled as "brisk" at 19-22 mph. They also have "race" rides and "race skills" rides that I'm sure average higher. Fast pacelines are fun, but you gotta be with safe riders.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I started second guessing myself so started looking at group rides around here and found that even the fast groups state 16-20 mph average. Maybe that’s because they often include big climbs but that matches what I was thinking.

Sure, big long uphill hauls kill average speed; anything that size out here is likely a ski hill :)

I’m certainly not fast on a bike so I’d never manage to stay with the fast groups as soon as we started climbing. It sure would be fun to be in a 24 mph paceline if I could manage it though.

It's both amazing - and amazingly dangerous - especially when an A group paceline passes a B-C group. Number 4 of my 6 rotator cuff incidents was in just such a scenario - and I was on a darty crit bike that managed to get out of the worst bit of pileup. Nowadays I prefer to ride with people who 'filter through' slower bunches on the road and wait to form a fast bunch after all that is gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What is a little surprising is that B-level peeps have the legs for 24mph average in May and not July or August.

Yeah, weather here has only been nice enough for comfortable riding in the last couple weeks.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
LOL, So I ride solo almost all of the time and average 18 over 40 or so with 1500-2000 feet. Believe it or not, I am still building leg strength and cardio from hip surgery over a year ago but I'm getting there. Today, I linked up with a group of about 8 riders and OMG, I was able to ride so much fast over the rolling hillside. I was on my Moots Routt with 38's (Compass Cycle, Bon Jon 35's on my gravel bike) and we were averaging about 22-23. Crazy how much faster you can ride in a pack.

FWIW- over relatively flat roads:
A rides are 19+ mph, 35+ mi
B rides are 16-19 mph, 35+/- mi
C and D rides <16 mph, 15-20 mi

To @coskigirl 's point, add in a nice 1-2 mile climb averaging 5-8* and it kills your average speed.

520.jpg

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I drove home from work today I was staring at the dark sky. About 30 seconds after I pulled my new car into the garage the hail started. I waited and let that clear then headed out. I raced another incoming round (snagging 2 Strava PRs) with lightning home and got inside about 60 seconds before the rain really started. This weekend will be mountain biking in Oregon with my family. I’ll have a couple days at home before I then head to England for a week so I won’t have much to report here until I return from that trip.

1987F6DB-4B88-456F-975B-F50D99A761E1.jpeg

Pouring rain while I looked at blue sky.
3FDF4411-DF8B-4720-BEF0-2E5FB49A8F8A.jpeg

C4C3A159-11CE-4CF8-B208-83885F03E487.jpeg

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
New bike alert...... although my BMC Granfondo is still awesome (its for sale BTW), I decided to go to road discs and eTap along with a lightly more aggressive geo since I have a gravel bike..... Should be getting my Trek Emonda SLR 9 Disc (2019) Etap in about a week.

went with the flat gun metal gray, swapped out XXX2 wheels for XXX4 (47's), Compact cranks and 11-32 cassette, integrated bar & stem (std) will run Schwalbe Pro One 28's. Bike should weigh 14.5-14.75. I need all the help I can get with my tired and beat body.

trek-02406-1513770305931-uoqbbzli1oez-630-80.jpg

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, that's a nice looking bike! Hope to get up to Steamboat to ride with you sometime in July.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
you better! BTW- I need to speak with you re your new road bike. Kerry is really enjoying riding but she needs a proper road bike.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
you better! BTW- I need to speak with you re your new road bike. Kerry is really enjoying riding but she needs a proper road bike.

Happy to! Give me a shout whenever. Glad Kerry is enjoying riding!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New bike alert...... although my BMC Granfondo is still awesome (its for sale BTW), I decided to go to road discs and eTap along with a lightly more aggressive geo since I have a gravel bike..... Should be getting my Trek Emonda SLR 9 Disc (2019) Etap in about a week.

went with the flat gun metal gray, swapped out XXX2 wheels for XXX4 (47's), Compact cranks and 11-32 cassette, integrated bar & stem (std) will run Schwalbe Pro One 28's. Bike should weigh 14.5-14.75. I need all the help I can get with my tired and beat body.

trek-02406-1513770305931-uoqbbzli1oez-630-80.jpg

That should be a blast. I'm waiting on a new Checkpoint (Trek's late but apparently great entry to gravel bikes).

Mid-July. Sigh. They have been crazy popular, so I agreed to wait until the next batch in exchange for a "favor to be named later".

Sponsor

Staff online