• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road biking 2018

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First ride today. It was relatively short at 1 hour but after 4 other rides and a run this week my legs were tired. That being said, it felt great! No pain in my neck, shoulder, arm, saddle at the end, faster pace, smoother ride. Looking forward to many more miles with her!

65815EA8-CF3B-4499-9D55-721C567B5E78.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just finished by far my most fun ride of the season to date. Pugskier relay!

@KevinF came up to visit. Perfect weather. Sunny with temps in the low sixties. A bit breezy, but you can't have everything.

We started out the morning with a ten mile ride to the house of a friend, Bob. He's a Pugski fellow traveler whom some of you know from the Jackson Hole gathering.

20180505_093625-01.jpeg

Did another fifteen with Bob and stopped at a really good bakery where we had the requisite brunch and coffee.

20180505_110123-01.jpeg

At that point Bob peeled off but @Wending joined us! (Never mind that she ate half my bagel.) So Kevin and Wending and I set off to find some hills. We found them:

20180505_131950-01.jpeg

About here we picked up a tailwind. Kevin and I brought it home at an even sixty miles. Wending kept going. :rolleyes:

Next time to complete the picture we just need a couple more off the usual suspects, like @Needham, @elemmac, and even @Rainbow Jenny, if she feels like traveling. :wave:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1...-4fd1-9374-a2068fd86bc3?hl=en-US&v=1525545615

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m definitely in for some mountain biking. Not so much on the road. Sold my road bike for a pair of fat skis last year :D

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just finished by far my most fun ride of the season to date. Pugskier relay!

@KevinF came up to visit. Perfect weather. Sunny with temps in the low sixties. A bit breezy, but you can't have everything.

We started out the morning with a ten mile ride to the house of a friend, Did another fifteen with Bob and stopped at a really good bakery where we had the requisite brunch and coffee.

At that point Bob peeled off but @Wending joined us! (Never mind that she ate half my bagel.) So Kevin and Wending and I set off to find some hills.

About here we picked up a tailwind. Kevin and I brought it home at an even sixty miles. Wending kept going. :rolleyes:

Next time to complete the picture we just need a couple more off the usual suspects, like @Needham, @elemmac, and even @Rainbow Jenny, if she feels like traveling. :wave:

Sounds like a fine invitation, @Tony S. Absolutely love how creative your relay was...adding food stop plus a chance to meet/ride with @Wending, got all the key ingredients to happiness right there!!! And I didn’t know @Needham rides too!

Miss skiing with you and @KevinF/running the second rate hen house/Rainbow Room this year. @KingGrump told me I suck a little less now although I know he’s just stroking my ego...

It’s been too long since visiting Maine during Boston days. QCanoe’s seed has been planted...

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lovely albeit hot ride this afternoon. Toward the end I stopped at a local brewery for some friends’ Seis de Mayo party. Perfectly positioned just a couple miles from home. Also, I’ve started a series I’m calling Danger In the Bike Lane. The bolt pictured was in the bike lane on the approach to a busy intersection where I was positioned with 4 lanes to my left (2 straight, 2 left turns) and 1 to my right (right turn). The light turned red so I stopped to pick this up and remove the risk for another cyclist.

480C66F1-C5C8-4A97-836A-9021E98331A0.jpeg

D3E2B6F9-FD79-4C06-8BDE-CD32A9D5AB63.jpeg

F352A476-B777-4762-BFD2-72D6E542F682.jpeg

632C510C-E188-47E1-8080-273866FEE6AC.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
on the approach to a busy intersection where I was positioned with 4 lanes to my left (2 straight, 2 left turns) and 1 to my right

:eek: Remind me never to ride in your neighborhood. (I'm not sure there is an intersection like that in the state of Maine.)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:eek: Remind me never to ride in your neighborhood. (I'm not sure there is an intersection like that in the state of Maine.)

Really? I don’t feel like it’s all that abnormal. I can think of 3 intersections like this within 2 miles and countless more with 1 fewer lanes within 5 miles.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, 2 left turn lanes, 2 through lanes and a right turn lane is a pretty standard city intersection. Most around here have bike lanes too.

I can think of a couple triple left turn lanes. Those are crazy. Like the $6M Foothills and Arapahoe intersection in Boulder. I think it takes the cake for this area. Thankfully it came with bike underpasses for that price. :thumb:

Foothills_Pkwy___Arapahoe_Ave_-_Google_Maps.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/kJkEcySBMvv

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of the time I road ride from my house without stopping but on occasion (and more now that skiing is almost done) I'll ride, stop and have breakfast with my run group friends, then continue my ride or head home. Or sometimes it's an afternoon brewery stop. Anyhow, I really hate having to carry a lock, especially a heavy duty one on longer rides. I have a small cable lock that I've been using then try to position myself where I can watch it as well but I'm a nervous Nellie and now that I have a more valuable bike I'm looking at other options.

Has anyone used an Otto lock or know someone that has? It seems to get pretty decent reviews (for a bike lock) but there are some negatives. There are videos of some people defeating it but for the most part it appears to at least take a bit longer to get through than a cable lock. The one issue seems to be the locking mechanism but they've updated since many of the negative reviews were posted.

https://ottodesignworks.com/

http://slocyclist.com/ottolocks-kevlar-bike-lock-lightweight-portable-review/

https://bikerumor.com/2018/04/11/hands-on-with-a-giant-locking-zip-tie-the-otto-lock/

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
from this weekend. Gotta love our crowded roads and concrete landscapes. I have been getting some miles in this spring and the mtn bike trails are starting to open up.

City riding...
city.jpg

Schoolhouse

schoolhouse.jpg

South valley Ski mountain is to far right

valley.jpg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
For those who are Bike Geeks...

Fantastic article from Jan Heine of Compass Cycles and Bicycle Quarterly. His studies from 10 years ago are finally starting to take hold and more and more companies are taking note. Enve, Zipp, Bontrager and others are making wider rims (19.5-24mm internal) for road bike. A 28 Schwalbe Pro One will seat at 31-32mm on these rims. If you can run them, you should! I run a 28 up front and a 25 (seats at 27) in the rear at 65psi F/ 75F. Rolls fast and smooth. unless you ride on super smooth roads, chances are your PSI is way too high.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/12-myths-in-cycling-1-wider-tires-are-slower/

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/tire-pressure-take-home/

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
For those who are Bike Geeks...

Fantastic article from Jan Heine of Compass Cycles and Bicycle Quarterly. His studies from 10 years ago are finally starting to take hold /

Unfortunately his rolling tire test methodology has yet to kick the rolling drum tests to the curb.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
you didnt read the article did you? :)

Or maybe I have following Heine's stuff since ~2005 and am laughing at the new attention? Pretty sure I gave @Evansilver a copy of the original BQ article when it came out...

This thread is a decade late to the party. And the proof is that I posted about the Quebec group's research into rider body tissue suspension losses (when this forum was new!) to ....crickets... while at the same time everyone else was carrying on about results from rolling drum tests.

the rolling drum test is highly flawed.

Indeed and since outdoor wind is the deciding issue, any indoor velodrome can be used as a more productive test venue than what Heine had.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online