• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road biking 2018

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Calfee is also near Santa Cruz. I consulted bike shops from Reno, Santa Clara, LA, to Seattle. They all directed me to Calfee. It was a 2 week turn around with Calfee, but with shipping, dissemble and reassemble, the total time was closer to 4-5 weeks.

btw, @Plai, did I run into you and your better half around Sibo at Squaw in the spring?

Wasn't me. I hang out at Mt Rose on school holidays. That said, I'm always dreaming of escaping the holiday and/or work schedule, so it might happen in the future.

I did read about some of your adventures on the Tahoe thread from the spring visit and it sounded like you had a blast.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A friend with a carbon frame Trek MTB and her friend with a road bike both spoke highly of their replacement warranty experience with cracked frame. But I actually had 2 different shops 250 miles apart help me file the warranty claim, including someone who personally called Trek to speak on my behalf... to no avail.

In life you win some and lose some. I won't be buying another Trek but I will continue to enjoy this bike for years to come.
How did that happen? Wear and tear or breakage? Trek won't warranty damage for sure so maybe they figure it's damaged not defective?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had been in distress since discovery a crack on my top tube mid May, absolutely no idea how it happened. Trek would not honor a warranty replacement, just loyalty discount on a new frame but Silque frame is no longer available. Domane with different geometry and hideous color was unpalatable. The alternative was to send to Calfee for repair which would take many weeks.

View attachment 52189

I dragged my feet with indecision, riding my spare aluminum entry level Synapse in the meanwhile. Gosh, I really wanted to ride the Silque for STP, Seattle to Portland, mid-July although questioned the safety. Perhaps with a leap of faith, everything worked out fine riding STP, despite some mishaps the two days prior to the event which almost made me quite... then I took the Silque into a shop to dissemble and ship the frame to Calfee for repair. Now I have a bike with a scar...

View attachment 52190

However, the imperfection is growing on me. It now has...character! Although I've gotten a bit out of riding shape the past few weeks, I'm happy to be reunited with my baby.

That's a bummer. Time for some stickers, maybe? Out of curiosity, how much does a CF frame repair run?

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@scott43, Trek determined my Trek was damaged. Something must have dropped on the top tube in my absence, but I only have a vague idea of the few days it might have happened. The causes for friends' cracked frame were unclear, and they seemed to have been extended generous replacement warranty.

@Doug Briggs, My repair was $350 + 70 return shipping from Calfee. Local bike shop billed $36 to ship to Calfee and $100 to dissemble/reassemble. They provide extensive instructions on their website.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
@scott43, Trek determined my Trek was damaged. Something must have dropped on the top tube in my absence, but I only have a vague idea of the few days it might have happened. The causes for friends' cracked frame were unclear, and they seemed to have been extended generous replacement warranty.

@Doug Briggs, My repair was $350 + 70 return shipping from Calfee. Local bike shop billed $36 to ship to Calfee and $100 to dissemble/reassemble. They provide extensive instructions on their website.

I'm really glad to hear you got that sorted out. As I'm prone to saying, it's probably less than your deductible. ogsmile

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a CF frame repair performed 6 years ago (yikes!) by Broken Carbon out of Boulder. It is run by Brady Kappius, who holds a M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Colorado School of Mines and fabricates some high-zoot carbon components for MTB and gravel use. My issue:a crack in the top tube from a crash where the heel of my shoe went into top tube, producing a hairline crack about 3 inches longthrough all layers of carbon (there was a definite "thud" when tapping that section of top tube).

The turnaround time for my repair was 9 days, costing me around $225 with shipping, from leaving my place in DC to returning. The upshot is that I didn't need to remove every component (e.g. I was able to leave my Campy BB cups in the frame), and the repair is really strong - it's held for all that time! While I could've opted for an additional fee to match the decorative weave and gloss finish of the frame, I wear the raw repair as a badge of honor.

Pics taken just now - it's still my daily rider and primary road bike, all these years later.

BC2.jpg
BC1.jpg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went on a nice little road ride on the western edge of the Sacramento Valley yesterday.

IMG_4976.JPG

Pleasants Valley. We have a little fall color, but not fall weather.

IMG_4977.JPG

We rode up to the top of this ridge, in the foothills of the Coast Range, descended the other side, then came back up and over again.

IMG_E4981.jpg

From the top of the ridge, looking across the Sacramento Valley to the Sierra Nevada. Sacramento is visible too. I wish I'd had a better camera, because it was a beautiful, clear morning.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January