• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road biking 2018

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Yesterday was the Tour De Steamboat charity tour that benefits some great local causes. We have 4 different rides so just about anyone can ride; 26, 46,66 & the "gore gruel" a 116 double pass monster featuring some incredible views, challenging climbs and fast descents. There were 1100 riders this year. I rode the 66 with @ski-ra and his wife. weather couldn't have been better for the first couple of hours with temps in the 60's and a nice cloud cover.

Here's Ira and me at the finish and my ride overview as well as a couple of my wife during the prep & marking of the course. I was really pleased with my time although this isn't a race.

fullsizeoutput_73e.jpeg
68pu9QKGQh+rXN9t+dotcQ.jpg
ZkUMYrdeRMevD4OSsNPg3g.jpg
fullsizeoutput_73a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_742.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
faster than some much slower than many! :) the 2 guys who finished first on the Gore Gruel which is 112 miles with 6K climbing did it averaging close to 20!

thanks. I am VERY PROUD of my wife. She is is just getting into road biking and this was literally her 4th road ride. She rode the 26 which has 944 feet of climbing. She did it averaging 13.3 mph and hit 30.3 mph! She really struggles with speed. When she finished, she texted me saying she wanted to ride another 10-15. :)

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So glad to hear Kerry is liking road cycling!

New entries in my #dangerinthebike lane from tonight’s ride. Yes, that’s a flask. Then a cooler lid.

D376F956-9382-4DB4-9E52-36433DA63E5E.jpeg
2DFBFF8D-226F-4EC0-BF88-D27F1CB0F9A7.jpeg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the worst when you find empty beer or liquor bottles strewn along your favorite route. Looks like a pretty ride.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the worst when you find empty beer or liquor bottles strewn along your favorite route. Looks like a pretty ride.

I see them every road ride but the flask was a new one. Every ride around here is pretty. I’m lucky. :yahoo: Actually I really struggled to motivate this evening but got out for a short ride and a bit of time riding alongside my running coach/dear friend. Although I could have done without the bee sting on the crease of my knee.

Reactions: Ron

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, at the edge of the building in the upper left of the first picture is Pearl Izumi’s headquarters. Coach’s husband is a fit model for them which cracks me up.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Oh, at the edge of the building in the upper left of the first picture is Pearl Izumi’s headquarters. Coach’s husband is a fit model for them which cracks me up.

I wonder if they need any overweight, late middle aged guys for fit models. After all, we are the ones who can afford to buy their productsogsmile

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see them every road ride but the flask was a new one. Every ride around here is pretty. I’m lucky. :yahoo: Actually I really struggled to motivate this evening but got out for a short ride and a bit of time riding alongside my running coach/dear friend. Although I could have done without the bee sting on the crease of my knee.
Ouch. I got stung on my last ride when I unzipped my jersey because it was hot. I got the bee out of my jersey without stopping, but I waited to get the stinger out and ended with a huge itchy welt.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if they need any overweight, late middle aged guys for fit models. After all, we are the ones who can afford to buy their productsogsmile

Seriously! I’m just lucky ‘cause twice a year I get a friends and family code that means I’m basically a walking PI advert.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@coskigirl lives in a dangerous town! :). Most of what we ride really doesn't have shoulders or is subject to shoulder ending abruptly without notice but I'm very happy to report, our roads are much cleaner with the exception of rattlesnakes in the western and northwest areas.

PI stuff for men... Not a huge fan of their designs. I'm a Castelli fan. Fits me well,super comfortable and many of their jerseys are very light and aero. I like clean designs.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@coskigirl lives in a dangerous town! :). Most of what we ride really doesn't have shoulders or is subject to shoulder ending abruptly without notice but I'm very happy to report, our roads are much cleaner with the exception of rattlesnakes in the western and northwest areas.

PI stuff for men... Not a huge fan of their designs. I'm a Castelli fan. Fits me well,super comfortable and many of their jerseys are very light and aero. I like clean designs.
I ride mostly country roads, and most of what I see on the side of the road is roadkill. But there's one road that climbs through a canyon and leads to a reservoir. This road is narrow and winding. It's beautiful and challenging, without much traffic, but people also tow boats up to the reservoir on that road in the summer. That's where I see empty bottles and where it scares me the most.

Reactions: Ron

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own a few PI jerseys, but I don't seek them out. I definitely don't like their chamois: too thick!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
but people also tow boats up to the reservoir on that road in the summer. That's where I see empty bottles and where it scares me the most.

LOL, what could wrong? Drunk drivers on narrow winding roads towing trailers and you on your bike

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL, what could wrong? Drunk drivers on narrow winding roads towing trailers and you on your bike
I avoid riding there in the summer, which is a shame because it's a classic climb around here.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
0F9F5C21-6B69-4652-A947-33258543BE6B.jpeg
3C123935-411B-4D6F-BCCC-1F3F3BC5B7A2.jpeg
Typical NJ ride. Third one of these in 2 months. Rode with the screw until the head popped off. Then plugged it added some Co2 and finished the ride. Still holding today, but I’ll patch it from the inside for a more permanent fix. If it were a MTB, I’d just leave the plug.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Im running the schwalbe pro one 28s f/r which sot at 32 at 65/68 and think thats pretty dialed for where i ride. My avg speed is between 18-19 with climbs and 20-23 on rolling so i dont know if there's a significant aero penalty to go much wider since most studies show aero penalties start at about 18mph

I dont see any advantage in different tires unless you are limited by frame. What are you riding?

Sponsor

Staff online