• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road biking 2018

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Back in the day, my ski teammates would ask me to wear their gloves for a day to stretch them. I had wide feet and wide hands.
LOL Gress I'm a wide body.

wide feet, wide hands, wide calf's wide head. (ski socks are too high) Most all ski boots don't fit. New Balance 4E shoes are best.
Clothes shopping is such fun.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
C686DF73-D775-46BF-AB23-8AD020363EE2.jpeg

My new ride. Specialized Roubaix Expert in a 58cm frame, full Ultegra. Paint scheme is called Chameleon Purple and looks very cool as it changes with different lighting and angles. Rides very smoothly with 28 tires and pressures of 65/70.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once again I was thwarted for a longer ride today due to weather but at least it wasn’t hail like we had on Monday which was golf ball to tennis ball sized. There are huge numbers of damaged cars and homes so the major insurance companies have brought in catastrophe response teams. I am loving my new jersey and got the bike cleaned up and adjusted at the bike shop this afternoon.

8BFC02EE-A90D-4AA5-A761-80F7D3BAD9D2.jpeg
75C066BB-020F-4ADA-852C-B64B30B0B8DC.jpeg
CE9D9C74-1C15-4A63-A3B3-346FFE6E09CE.jpeg
EC624B3A-1BF9-4E2B-9AD7-2F317CC6C368.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Once again I was thwarted for a longer ride today due to weather but at least it wasn’t hail like we had on Monday which was golf ball to tennis ball sized. There are huge numbers of damaged cars and homes so the major insurance companies have brought in catastrophe response teams. I am loving my new jersey and got the bike cleaned up and adjusted at the bike shop this afternoon.

View attachment 48353 View attachment 48354 View attachment 48355 View attachment 48356

You bike looks really nice!

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 7.57.21 PM.png

But this has to go! :eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yeah, I keep meaning to do that. Why do they even put them on road bikes?

So the chain does not fall and jam between the cassette and spokes. That can happen before the derrailer is adjusted properly.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crap, I don't have the tools to get the damn thing off. I know I took it off my last bike but it most have had an easy way off compared to this one which seems to require I remove the cassette unless I'm missing something. I'll have to ask the shop to do it the next time I take my bike over for a bath.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I know it's a temptation to pitch the spoke protector because it looks cheese..but..honestly..it's super light and cheap insurance. You can get a new one for free probably from your LBS and just put a new one on every year if you think it's getting nasty looking.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Removing that guard requires the removal of the cassette! the LBS should be able to do that in about 15 minutes while chatting :)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So Bike to Work Day and my bike shop has a tent set up at the last brewery stop. I mentioned that I need to get the dork disk off and they offered to do it now while I enjoy free beer. Winning!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The funny thing is that I had no idea they were going to be there so as I rode up and saw their van I was happy to see it. They are just great people who love bikes and go above and beyond. They even took my lock and re-locked up my bike for me when they were done.

Speaking of my lock, I had asked earlier about the Ottolock but got no responses. While in Oregon I found out my dad has them and that he is friends with the owner’s parents so was in on the Kickstarter. I ended up ordering one and today was it’s first use. It’s super easy to use and easy to carry. Not as secure as a U lock but far easier to carry for coffee stops etc.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read somewhere that moderate exercise in the heat improves cardiovascular fitness, so I went for a road ride in the Sacramento Valley heat today. My Garmin read the temperature as 102F. I only went 19 miles. The was a strong north wind (that's what brings us the heat), so I actually rode some segments fast and some very slow, depending on the direction I was going. I wish I'd been able to take a picture of the skydivers at the airport that I ride through. There were about 15 of them landing one after the other. It was fun to watch.

Sponsor

Staff online