• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RIP First Ascent line @ Eddie Bauer

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone else notice the First Ascent line scrubbed off the Eddie Bauer page? A handful of pieces are still there, but the branding's gone save for a few pack logos. 25% off clearance makes for some good prices on women's ski gear that's still in stock.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else notice the First Ascent line scrubbed off the Eddie Bauer page? A handful of pieces are still there, but the branding's gone save for a few pack logos. 25% off clearance makes for some good prices on women's ski gear that's still in stock.
I hadn't noticed that! My better half has the men's ultralight down jacket that he wears regularly as a mid layer. It's a really nice jacket and I was hoping to grab one, too! Hmmm....

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nooooooo! They made my favorite ever shell. Best features and incredible value. Dammit.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My red down jacket is a "First Ascent" and I believe that every skier should own at least one red ski jacket. Eddie Bauer is my go to for outdoor clothing both fishing and skiing. The fact that they make their clothes in a TALL has been an important factor, but they make the driest jackets of any I have owned. The Eddie Bauer jacket I use when fishing has kept me dry when fishing in the pouring rain, GOOD STUFF.

TS
Analisa

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A rep managing their social media claims they’re still running the line, even though the URL diverts to ski gear and all of the branding is gone? Weird system issue? Their link to their guide collection does include some star spangled denim shorts. But I know for a fact their fur trimmed mittens in the link they gave me were not in the brand.

I’m skeptical until the 8000m down suits are back.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought the line went defunct a couple of years ago as far as retail sales went but still was doing stuff with guides.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I always assumed the FA stuff was an attempt to establish Bauer in the North Face/ Patagucci consumer outdoor market via halo effect. Always seemed a bit incongruous vs the rest of their "lifestyle" stuff.

Wouldn't surprise me if they killed it as it would be more costly to design and make and not do the volumes of regular stuff so if they weren't getting the halo pull through on everything else then kinda pointless.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/388322243?sp=1&color=907

They definitely rebranded this Eddie Bauer. I remember this Jacket was one of their key items in the First Ascent brand.

still a good deal

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If they dumped the line I'm guessing they might be missing as a sponsor for Lexi Dupont and Mr. Mahre? I have the new Evertherm jacket and spring ski pro guide pants and love them both. The Evertherm is really light weight and really warm.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I noticed when I had to rapidly replace a jacket this winter that there was hardly any First Ascent left. I like Eddie Bauer and am on my third jacket of theirs (not FA) and second pair of ski pants from them, but jacket number two did not hold up as well as I thought it should have. I got 3.5 seasons out of it and if the replacement jacket hadn't had a better zipper on it, I'd have been done with them. As it was, I was on the cusp of requesting a refund on it until I did a days count and then decided it was barely okay -- I've still got a down liner jacket from it that is usable. The zipper was one of those coil types (waterproof) and the threads holding the coils just wore out. The new jacket has those individual teeth like the kind we grew up with. It's a new thing to pay attention to in the future -- no more coil zippers!!

But I really feel their stuff hasn't been holding up the way it used to. I have a heavy duty down parka I got from them 35 years ago. It's still completely functional and warm, although pretty beat.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The first EB garment I purchased was a shell and it was around the sixteenth season that I first had a little water get in at a seem. We would wash it and line dry it, but around the same time it started to let water in my wife decided to put it in the clothing dryer so I think the heat may have loosened the seem tapes that keep it dry. But at that age why would anyone complain.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If they dumped the line I'm guessing they might be missing as a sponsor for Lexi Dupont and Mr. Mahre? I have the new Evertherm jacket and spring ski pro guide pants and love them both. The Evertherm is really light weight and really warm.

They also sponsor Lynsey Dyer, the one skier that I actually fan girl over. Her site still lists Eddie Bauer as a sponsor.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Eddie Bauer is still a sponsor and makes technical gear - it's more that they no longer make the technical gear under the auspices of First Ascent. Eddie Bauer provided gear for one of this season's Everest teams as well as a team that is currently taking on K2.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They also sponsor Lynsey Dyer, the one skier that I actually fan girl over. Her site still lists Eddie Bauer as a sponsor.
Loved seeing her in the EB First Ascent commercials and am a fan of everything she did on video except that reality TV show après Ski on Bravo. :eek:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
This makes me sad. A couple seasons ago they stopped making their technical stuff in larger sizes but I was hoping they'd start again. I need at least a 3XL and they were the only company that offered anything larger than the typical sizes that everyone else makes. Thankfully there's ebay!

Sponsor