• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm not going to suggest which flex is best for you, but I will give you a bit of advise on what you should consider.

Aside from ability, terrain skied, wt and size the main consideration becomes how does the snow, ski, boot, body interface work.

Snow and body you've defined already. Boot is what you are looking for that leaves ski.

Too stiff a boot and too soft a ski, you'll over drive the ski (skiing will suck)
Too stiff a ski and too soft a boot, you won't be able to drive the ski (skiing will suck).

Balance this and you will enjoy the package you have and the skiing you do.

I've tried to make this intentional short and sweet without giving one recommendation over another (don't worry others will).

My personal preference is on the stiffer side as I ski well enough to moderate input (so over driving is not an issue, usually), what I don't like is providing input and it not being transferred to the ski (too soft a boot). I also like stiffer skis (so stiffer boots are in order).

TS
kaunosario

kaunosario

Booting up
Skier
I'm not going to suggest which flex is best for you, but I will give you a bit of advise on what you should consider.

Aside from ability, terrain skied, wt and size the main consideration becomes how does the snow, ski, boot, body interface work.

Snow and body you've defined already. Boot is what you are looking for that leaves ski.

Too stiff a boot and too soft a ski, you'll over drive the ski (skiing will suck)
Too stiff a ski and too soft a boot, you won't be able to drive the ski (skiing will suck).

Balance this and you will enjoy the package you have and the skiing you do.

I've tried to make this intentional short and sweet without giving one recommendation over another (don't worry others will).

My personal preference is on the stiffer side as I ski well enough to moderate input (so over driving is not an issue, usually), what I don't like is providing input and it not being transferred to the ski (too soft a boot). I also like stiffer skis (so stiffer boots are in order).

Any thoughts on the combination of Salomon X Max 120 and Nordica Navigator 85?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Not sure if @kaunosario purchased a footbed or not yet, but I will offer my 2 cents...

I was fit for my first pair of ski boots in the 2014-2015 ski season. I skied the first season ~10 days with the stock footbeds. Lange SX 120 boots. The following season, I went back to the same fitter and got custom footbeds. I would say the difference was like going from 90% fit to 96% perfect fit. The boots were very good before, then became excellent.

The other thing I noticed was some additional vibration dampening. Basically the ride was smoother and felt less jarring. Again, this was a small improvement, but definitely present. Finally, the footbed gave me better 'traction' in the boot. Not really sure how to describe it, but the stock footbeds could slide a bit on the base of the boot - maybe 1-2mm. With the footbed, the foot was locked to the bottom. Very rarely does my foot slide (generally I have to do something really stupid or crash to notice motion now).

To me, it was worth it, and I will definitely get custom footbeds in future boots.