• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kaunosario

Booting up
Skier
I'm 6'5", 195 lbs and a solid intermediate skier, who spends 90% of his time on groomers. Do you think that a Salomon X Max 120 is too much flex for me?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 6'5", 195 lbs and a solid intermediate skier, who spends 90% of his time on groomers. Do you think that a Salomon X Max 120 is too much flex for me?
Do you mean too soft or too stiff? Others will chime in with much more knowledge than me but, at 5' 10" and 220#, I can fold most 120 flex boots. And 130s. A lot depends on how much flex you have in your ankle. I have a lot. I'm a strong intermediate and am looking at moving to a stiffer boot than the Technica Cochise 130s I'm in now. Even though you are lighter you have a longer lever from your knees down.

Now I defer to the professionals!:wave:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Probably not. If anything, a softer boot puts a premium on feel at the snow (where it matters), as well as balance.
A lot of REALLY good skiers ski soft boots.

TS
kaunosario

kaunosario

Booting up
Skier
Do you mean too soft or too stiff? Others will chime in with much more knowledge than me but, at 5' 10" and 220#, I can fold most 120 flex boots. And 130s. A lot depends on how much flex you have in your ankle. I have a lot. I'm a strong intermediate and am looking at moving to a stiffer boot than the Technica Cochise 130s I'm in now. Even though you are lighter you have a longer lever from your knees down.

Sorry, I meant whether or not 120 flex is too stiff for me.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier

At 6-5 I will assume your tibia is pretty long, depending on ankle dorsiflection you may indeed crush the solly XMAX 120 which is actual a pretty soft flexing boot.

Have you been to a real boot fitter lately ?

n black

Booting up
Skier
Just as a guess, probably not.

That said, it's a very individual thing. I grew up in the racing world (small hills & ice was my home), and always looked to go stiff. By the end, as have many who went down this path, I was in plugs of whatever stiffness they came out to be after all the grinding was done - hard to give them a particular number but certainly stout, for sure.

These days, with my racing days long behind me, I'm in a 120 flex boot and am super happy for it. I like a flexier boot for the most part.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm so happy to have found pugski.com. These forums are just great. Thanks for all the prompt advice.
There will be more as people get off work!:beercheer:

TS
kaunosario

kaunosario

Booting up
Skier
Related question. The boot fitter recommended that I should also get custom molded footbeds for around $100. Are those worth the cost?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
the only correct flex on a boot is none.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

No, definitely not.

I would look into 120-130 flex boots. Get one that fits the best. You are quite tall so consider cuff height as well.

Think something simple like a Lange RX or RS 130. The Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 S is also a great lightweight option.

Again, its all about fit.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Related question. The boot fitter recommended that I should also get custom molded footbeds for around $100. Are those worth the cost?
Most would say yes , but it depends on your feet. If you have any issues with your feet than do it. If no issues it seems like an added expense that may not be needed. The OEM foot bed may be OK or an OTC foot bed could be enough.

Sponsor