• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Riding the Tails in DH

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
During the 2018 Kitzbhuel DH Steve Porino said that Svindal was a master of starting turns on the tail of his skis and thereby avoiding breaking action from being in a neutral or forward position. I have heard Tod Brooker say similar things about getting off the front of the ski on flat sections. All my coaches have said this is very wrong... any thoughts about riding the tails on the flats?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like everything else in life, it depends!

All parts of the ski are meant to be used in different parts of the turn or in different turns, especially by racers, but if one can't manage to bend the tip of the ski at will, then the point is really mute: it's not like you have an option...

It's true that you don't want to overturn on the flats and also that over-pressuring the tips will slow you down... But then, turning in general slows you down.... so where and how do you get "direction"?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Grab a friend of about the same size with skis waxed the same and find a nice, clear, long, flat spot. One of you tucks in the traditional manner. The other sits on the back of their skis while you both straight run. The one sitting on the tails will always go faster. Trouble in the course though is keeping things under control. ogsmile

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
As stated above.

Picture. You are skiing in a straight line at 70mph and on your tails. You hit an irregularity in the course, the snow changes slightly, the next Gate comes up quicker than you anticipated or "oh crap I forgot that little depression, fallaway, knoll etc.. Excepting a great Bode recovery you are in trouble and it happens really fast at 70.

Don't ski 70 anywhere or anytime anymore and when I ski fast just work on a flat ski and stay centered.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
As stated above.

Picture. You are skiing in a straight line at 70mph and on your tails. You hit an irregularity in the course, the snow changes slightly, the next Gate comes up quicker than you anticipated or "oh crap I forgot that little depression, fallaway, knoll etc.. Excepting a great Bode recovery you are in trouble and it happens really fast at 70.

Don't ski 70 anywhere or anytime anymore and when I ski fast just work on a flat ski and stay centered.

The funny thing is, unless you've been in a DH suit, almost nobody who thinks they've skied 70 actually has... even if their phone says they did. ogsmile

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There are consequences to riding the tails. It is faster in general on flats. The wildcard is that you are more likely to catch an inside edge. This technique should only be employed by experienced downhillers that understand the trade off of 'juicing the ski' for that slight speed increase vs having a bit less stable ski.

I don't advocate it for my athletes unless they are advanced, experienced and accept understand the risk vs benefit.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
There are consequences to riding the tails. It is faster in general on flats. The wildcard is that you are more likely to catch an inside edge. This technique should only be employed by experienced downhillers that understand the trade off of 'juicing the ski' for that slight speed increase vs having a bit less stable ski.

I don't advocate it for my athletes unless they are advanced, experienced and accept understand the risk vs benefit.

Amen.... agreed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The funny thing is, unless you've been in a DH suit, almost nobody who thinks they've skied 70 actually has... even if their phone says they did. ogsmile

Well, you don't need a speed suit to hit 70 - some folks on TGR have done it with a radar gun I believe (straight-line tucking a steep smooth run). But it's not something I'll be trying any time soon. I feel like I scare myself enough when my phone-speed hits 50. :P