• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Review: Smith IO Mag XL Goggles w/ Glasses

JasonT

Booting up
Skier
Hello Pugskiers (is that a thing...?),

For all of you who wear glasses thought you might appreciate this quick review/opinion. I had a chance to pick up the new Smith IO Mag XLs to replace an aging pair of Smith OTGs.

Bottom line: fits over my glasses very well, great smith lenses (excellent clarity), easy leans change system. They are pricy but will likely last a VERY long time. I’m happy and would buy them again.

The glasses I wear measure 5 inches (13cm) at the widest point and the googles fit over the glasses fine. I’m able to take the goggles off and they don’t “grab” my glasses. This is not the case with all goggles I’ve tried.

Fogging (an often discussed issue): I’ve found if you put the goggles on when warm and don’t take them off at all when on the slopes you’ll be fine. This was the case with these goggles. No fogging issues at all. That stated I’ve not gotten my body heat way up with these goggles so that type of test will be worth while.

Of course, they mate perfectly with my Smith Vantage helmet.

Lens change: pretty easy. Not quite as smooth as Anon’s or Sol goggle’s however the Smith mag system does have an extra “latch” if you will. Where this could be of benefit would be in the case of a serious crash. It might prevent the lens from being ejected form the frame. That said, my son has the Sol mag goggles and they’re pretty firmly attached so take that for what it’s worth (probably not much... ;-)

Hope this helps the other four eyed skiers make a goggle decision.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @JasonT , I had not thought to try that. I have these goggles, and my daughter wears glasses, and is currently using the OTG Smith goggles. Good to hear this might be another option(with better lenses)

TS
J

JasonT

Booting up
Skier
You bet. I thought OTGs were the only option and then I tried a few like the IO XLs and it was nice to know I didn’t have to settle for a lack of swappable lenses or be content looking like the goon I am (the OTGs only added to my dorkiness according to my teenagers :)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another bonus with Smith is they have an outstanding warranty, and they stand behind it.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wife just took her helmet (Smith) and glasses to try on googles after inserts just wouldn’t work. She ended up in the regular mag IO without having any issues getting the google on and off.
Bummer and the deal breaker for the Smith OTG is that it only comes with 1 lens and no replacement lens for low light or bluebird.
If you can’t see in a snowstorm what good is the OTG anyway.

Sponsor

Staff online