• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Review: Greenport Jerky Company

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
screen-shot-2016-07-24-at-9-29-56-am-png.11501
I have known Vinny Macchirole, the proprietor of Greenport Jerky Company, for about half a century, longer than I have know any other person whose last name does not begin with a P. When I heard that my brother from another mother was selling jerky, I immediately thought, “Oh, this is going to be good!” You see, like any East Coast Italian, Vinny knows food. Growing up on the shore of Lung Eye-Land, he was partial to seafood -- but man cannot live on shellfish alone, so he chose jerky for a snack. As a seaman, it just makes sense: a salted product that will last a long time and won't go bad but still go well with an afternoon martini or Manhattan on the deck.

4withvinnie-jpg.11504

Vinny and Phil, c. 1968

When I saw that Greenport Jerky went live, I reached out to Vinny's wife and partner, Carolyn, and asked for some samples. The first batch included Whiskey, Sweet & Spicy, and Hot. All three packages had a nice selection of pieces with little to no grizzle on them; Greenport Jerky obviously took its time sourcing product and dialing in and personalizing the flavors.

img_1210-jpg.11498

Whiskey Beef Jerky
Like a fine bourbon, the whiskey goes down well. You get a nice oak finish combined with the sweet taste of one of the finest beverages ever concocted. I suggest pairing this with a nice glass of your favorite Kentucky-bred brown beverage. (I ate all of the Whiskey Beef before I could take a picture.)

img_1222-jpg.11500

Sweet & Spicy Beef Jerky

Sweet & Spicy Beef Jerky
More sweet than spicy, this is a good bridge for someone looking to expand their jerky palette. This is old school jerky at its best.

img_1221-jpg.11499

Hot Beef Jerky
Hot Beef Jerky Wow, hot means hot. I should have realized that when I saw the pepper flakes encrusted on each piece. Warning: If you don’t pass the visual test that these are hot, it is too late. You don’t realize the true heat until the second (or third) piece is in your mouth. By then, the only thing you can to do is keep eating it or wash it down with, say, a Manhattan or Old Fashioned -- not that either of those options is bad. I suggest a constant back and forth of meat and beverage til you eventually feel nothing.

For our readers out on The Island, on your next trip out to the North Shore toward Orient Point, contact the Greenport Jerky Co. and pick of a sampling of flavors … then get some little necks. For the rest of us, there is always mail order: https://greenport-jerky-company.myshopify.com

Sponsor