• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking prob not so good when it's -5F outside to try it. Any temp info for application?

Yes, sort of. They stated that they tested application down to 20 degrees, and it worked fine. No info on going colder than that.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I got mine over a week back but have not had a dry day or sunshine since. It is supposed to clear up tomorrow so I am going to give it a go. If all goes well I will test out the skis with Phantom on Monday :)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
D2FA77C5-68F7-4C82-B801-653ED0D0F764.png

Just looking at this, it strikes me that they should have abandoned the ski business and marketed this to women.

Phantom would have been a brilliant name.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
View attachment 37194

Just looking at this, it strikes me that they should have abandoned the ski business and marketed this to women.

Phantom would have been a brilliant name.

It is marketed towards Women! Men like to wax skis! It gets them "out of the house and into the shop" where they are most comfortable. Ever hear of three women discussing their tune and waxing bench set up?

In my case, The waxing bench is right below the bourbon shelf. One goes with the other ;-)
\
There is a tale sometimes told..
Of a traveling salesman who offered a "pill" that would alleviate the need for drinking water. The product was sold under the premise of the significant time saving of not needing a water break, and the productivity gains to be had.
Well, the salesman happened to knock on the door of a settled Vermonter. After delivering his spiel about the opportunities his product offered to the New Englander, he asked the question. "What would you do with an extra 1/2 hour per day that you might save by buying and using my product.

The Vermonter stroked his chin a moment and then carefully delivered his reply. "I think I might take a pleasent stroll down to the well and pull up a bucket of clear cool water, and then drink of that pleasure until I am satisfied."

We all need different things. I'm not on the fence about this one ;-)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It is marketed towards Women! Men like to wax skis! It gets them "out of the house and into the shop" where they are most comfortable. Ever hear of three women discussing their tune and waxing bench set up?

Women aren't uncommon at waxing clinics out this way at all. As a percentage, most HUMANS on the hill don't give a darn. On the race hill, everyone cares.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ever hear of three women discussing their tune and waxing bench set up?

Me, @kimmyt , @RachelV , for three ...

(Are we representative of the typical female who skis? No, probably not.)

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
ok forecast says partially sunny to sunny all day in Seattle, so I get started on applying phantom just before sunrise. In the Seattle area we have to maximize our winter sun when it does show up. All set to put my skis out to cure and wouldn't you know a thick fog rolls in. Another scenario I don't think DPS anticipated, will skis cure through fog on a partially sunny day?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, I’m away and @Mrs. 53 opens the DPS Phantom package and complains I am buying more ski stuff :huh:

I told her it is a one time thing and I will never have to wax our skis again.... I get a skeptical silence on the phone :(

If she is not careful, I am gonna not put the Phantom on her skis nor tune her edges which need it! :nono:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I hope you all noted the tongue in cheek nature of the "women's" comments. Such was the intent.

But really, when was the last time you three got together to compare tuning benches over a "wee dram" ? ;-))

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hope you all noted the tongue in cheek nature of the "women's" comments. Such was the intent.

But really, when was the last time you three got together to compare tuning benches over a "wee dram" ? ;-))

I don't remember exactly, as I think ours are pretty well dialed in :)

I'm super happy about the Christmas Eve cleaning of the basement because I was able to move the bench to a more advantageous location with better access to outlets and lighting.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any word on whether or not the two application steps of Phantom can be done a day or two (or more) apart? You could start with a sunny day, get ready for step 2 and have clouds roll in.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, I’m away and @Mrs. 53 opens the DPS Phantom package and complains I am buying more ski stuff :huh:

I told her it is a one time thing and I will never have to wax our skis again.... I get a skeptical silence on the phone :(

If she is not careful, I am gonna not put the Phantom on her skis nor tune her edges which need it! :nono:
Well, if you were smart you would not put that on her skis. What's the upside? If it doesn't work really well, you've ruined her Bombers. It's not going to be better than waxing, just allegedly don't have to wax. The day there's a problem, well Phantom is to blame.
It would be cheaper just to get them waxed where you're skiing. Be the guinea pig and do yours. If you rave about it, your views on skis are prob taken at 35% since you're new to it. Actually, let's make that 15.

Maybe she'd want to try it eventually. Basically though, you're taking her precious skis and turning them into some GMO experiment. Stop before it's too late.ogsmile

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:doh:

Telling women what they think and do isn't usually a winning strategy.
:micdrop:

Oh Dude....
You need better usage of emoticons if you plan on a comment being taken lightly.
Perhaps this emoticon - :duck:
That being said, the next time us girls get together we'll let you know. :rocks:
BTW, check this thread to see what us girls like to drink so that you don't bring the wrong thing...
Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Me, @kimmyt , @RachelV , for three ...

(Are we representative of the typical female who skis? No, probably not.)
+ Me, Sibhusky, Ski Nurse, SBrown, Robyn, ADK Mel,....
There are more than just a few on Pugski who take their tunes seriously

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Oh Dude......? Ahh OK, whatever...

Perhaps the Phantom product is not an interest to you and your group.

Does the "waxless" idea interest you, or do you dismiss it as something you could care less about because of the pleasant hours you would miss at your tuning bench?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, getting away from the he/she stuff for a moment.....:);):(:cool::D:eek::rolleyes::doh::roflmao:

I love tuning skis and hate waxing them -- after nearly 50 years of it go easy on me!

So I'm hoping for good results. Living in the Columbia River Gorge -- where winter inversions reign surpreme -- I wouldn't chance it before June with the need for sunlight, so I'm looking forward to long-term reports!

Was that enough emoticons, @Tricia? :beercheer:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Gotta agree with @James ... you need to stop the insanity of Phantom-ing Mrs. 53's skis. So much could go wrong.

Which means you have an extra application of the product. And you are in the Sunshine State. And I want my skis done, but live in the Portland cave of winter. Let us think on this .... how can I help you out? Hmmm ....ogsmile ... j/k

Sponsor

Staff online