• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Searching for any details about UV lamps and "black lights" and tanning lights found this interesting snippet (link) from the amateur electronics community:

[Heavily edited for key points:]

On Fri, 18 May 2007 09:47:05 +1000, Bud Finley <>
wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if the 9W UV lamps sold as replacements for
>cosmetic nail driers are suitable for EPROM erasing.

Mercury vapor UV lamps come in two varieties;

long wave, 365 nm = nail drying

short wave, 254 nm = EPROM erasing or "germicidal";
you can usually smell some ozone near the lamp.
Short wave doesn't go through glass, need quartz bulb.

Short wave UV will harm your eyes if you look at the operating lamp for
very long; a minute or two is enough to give you an object lesson. (Even a reflection).

Also, https://uvhero.com/difference-uv-light-black-light/
UVA = 320–400 nanometers. UVA is the powerful tanning beam.
UVB = 290-320 nanometers. Contributes to tanning and photo aging.
UVC = 200-290 nanometers. Most hazardous.
"black light" = the longest part of UVA, and a little short-wave visible. Low intensity compared to sunlight, erasers, or sterilizers.

Tanning beds apparently use the longest part of the UVA band.

What is in sunlight: from the World Health Organization:
UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface is largely composed of UVA with a small UVB component.

Shorter wavelengths have higher energy photons, so there is probably a maximum wavelength that will cause the cure to happen.

Bottom line: I think there is an excellent chance a "germicidal" bulb would work, and a moderate chance a UV epoxy or nail-polish curing bulb would work.
DPS probably doesn't like that option because a) a lot of people would ignore the details and use the wrong type, b) getting complete coverage with a small bulb would be tricky, especially while c) ensuring adequate eye protection.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think dentists use small but strong uv lights to cure the hideous glues they use. Then there used to be basically lights for epoxy repairs or other glues on a much larger scale.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Yes but those infrared waxers get hot. If you leave the ski under them for more than 15-20 minutes you can damage the base. So at best you would have to modify the system significantly which = $$ and it is already an expensive piece of equipment that most shops don't have.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes but those infrared waxers get hot. If you leave the ski under them for more than 15-20 minutes you can damage the base. So at best you would have to modify the system significantly which = $$ and it is already an expensive piece of equipment that most shops don't have.
Well it's infrared. You'd just swap out the infrared unit for a uv one. If there's more money to be made applying Phantom, someone will do it. Prob would be employees eyes. It might not be worth the risk.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What about grow lamps (I use them for tomatoes, peanut gallery!)? The whole point is that they provide the same spectrum as the sun, right?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What about grow lamps (I use them for tomatoes, peanut gallery!)? The whole point is that they provide the same spectrum as the sun, right?

Do they output UV too? Or just the same visible light spectrum the plants need?

Or put another way, could you tan under one of those bulbs?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Do they output UV too? Or just the same visible light spectrum the plants need?

Or put another way, could you tan under one of those bulbs?

I don't know! Good question.

dovski

Skier
Here is the latest communication from DPS on the curing, sounds like it is a UV light process

Our apologies for the delayed response, and thank you for supporting Phantom!

Phantom is actively cured by sunlight. Partly cloudy conditions are fine, but you will need sun exposure. We realize there are parts of the world where sun is hard to come by at this time of year, and are working hard on vetting approved UV indoor light solutions which we hope to present in the coming two-week time period.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns, or if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at grow light websites, it looks like some have UV and some don't. But maybe they are just throwing shade at their competition.

Here is an article on buidling a UV resin curing bed at a tanning-lamp-replacement-parts online store.
http://www.tanninglamps4less.com/uvcurecab1.html
uvcure-cab-bottom.jpg

Looks like about what you'd want for skis.

A kit with the lamps, sockets, ballasts,etc for 14 lamps is $250.
http://www.tanninglamps4less.com/14cleartech.html
You'd probably need 4 or 5 lamps, which means piecing together your own package. Probably around $100.

You still need to figure out how to handle the length -- lamps are 4 feet long, skis are more. Maybe staggered mounting?

One piece of good news -- apparently the bed lamps put out UVA and UVB, and the acrylic shield in a tanning bed filters some of it out. So a bare bulb has more shortwave UV than a tanning salon.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking more of what a shop would need to do. For home use, one bulb that you reposition and enough sense not to look at it would do.

A single lamp is $20, but unfortunately the ballast to drive it is about $30.

Bill Seddon

Booting up
Skier
I think dentists use small but strong uv lights to cure the hideous glues they use. Then there used to be basically lights for epoxy repairs or other glues on a much larger scale.

It's blue light, 400-500 nm wavelength not UV, you will be at it for a long time with their small diameter.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
B8013EE8-B3EB-4739-AF51-C9E8AC85FEE7.jpeg

Look what I just grabbed from the mailbox. Not too worried about having sun for curing....

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They should sponsor a few racers. If they can win on a glider's course, Sold! If not, then I have to ask, how much better is it than no wax at all?
I know it is better than no wax at all. Skied my neglected skis after one wet snow fall and they didn't glide well at all. Skied the Phantom skis after another very similar snow fall and had no problems. I doubt Phantom would compete with a very knowledgable tuner/waxer for race conditions but it would be interesting to get a high end racer to give their opinion after skiing it on a practice course. How would it work on injected snow?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Light and Lamp basics

3spectrogramswebsize.gif

Fluorescent "tube lamps" are low pressure Mercury arc lamps.

The "fluorescent" part is the white powder coating (ZnS) on the inside of the tube. The Mercury Ultraviolet light is converted to visible spectra emission by the mechanism of fluorescence. (as opposed to phosphorescence etc.)
But note the several strong spikes throughout the visible (420-680 nm)

Air and attendant water vapor are strong attenuators in the propagation of UV radiation. The sun wins out on this front by it's strong continuum, and BRUTE STRENGTH.

Reactions: nay

dovski

Skier
I know it is better than no wax at all. Skied my neglected skis after one wet snow fall and they didn't glide well at all. Skied the Phantom skis after another very similar snow fall and had no problems. I doubt Phantom would compete with a very knowledgable tuner/waxer for race conditions but it would be interesting to get a high end racer to give their opinion after skiing it on a practice course. How would it work on injected snow?
They are pretty clear that Phantom is a good alternative to universal wax but will not equal the performance of temperature specific wax. That said I think it may make sense for racers to wax skis treated with Phantom as once the wax wears off part way down the run the skis will perform better than those not treated with phantom. This would be something worth testing

Reactions: nay

James

Out There
Instructor
Received the kit. 3 pairs gloves, closed cell foam applicator, brush/cork, and the special sauce. I'm thinking prob not so good when it's -5F outside to try it. Any temp info for application?

IMG_0062.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online