• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have Phantom 2.0 on my Enforcer 100's. I find the glide variable. Really depends on the water content & temp. of the snow it seems. I interested to see if they are better after a stone grind,but that probably won't happen until next season.

Seems like the they struggle on dry cold snow. Seems they do better when the snow is slightly wetter.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have Phantom 2.0 on my Enforcer 100's. I find the glide variable. Really depends on the water content & temp. of the snow it seems. I interested to see if they are better after a stone grind,but that probably won't happen until next season.

Seems like the they struggle on dry cold snow. Seems they do better when the snow is slightly wetter.

Interesting, my skis are super fast on the dry snow

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the same experience with phantom as A man. The glide can be variable at times. Overall I am happy with it, but it's not 100 percent consistent. DPS has some info that shows that on their website.

nunyabiz

Putting on skis
Skier
Overall, I’m very pleased with Phantoms performance. As others mentioned, cold, dry snow seems to be the conditions where it’s lacking.

dlinfiniti

Booting up
Skier
does anyone work in a shop that does application or have access to one of DPS' UV hot boxes? Just wondering if someone could take a closer look and see what kind of UV bulbs (wavelength) are in those? That might help us DIYers do a better job of application in the off season

RaceWax.com

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm curious to know from experienced users if, after using this product for short or long periods, have you tried to switch back to a regular hot wax & were there any problems doing so? Did the base still accept conventional wax?

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
I'm curious to know from experienced users if, after using this product for short or long periods, have you tried to switch back to a regular hot wax & were there any problems doing so? Did the base still accept conventional wax?

I have Phantom on a few pairs of my free skis. I wouldn't use it on race skis. As to your question, yes, I routinely wax over it as wax is better than Phantom. The Phantom coated skis are slow and sticky at low speeds and from a standstil. As you start moving it seems to get faster.
The primary advantage to Phantom as least for me is when we travel and don't have an opportunity to wax regularly. The skis maintain their "slideability" and don't dry out with Phantom, where wax would be gone after a couple of days.

pliny the elder

RaceWax.com

Putting on skis
Skier
I have Phantom on a few pairs of my free skis. I wouldn't use it on race skis. As to your question, yes, I routinely wax over it as wax is better than Phantom. The Phantom coated skis are slow and sticky at low speeds and from a standstil. As you start moving it seems to get faster.
The primary advantage to Phantom as least for me is when we travel and don't have an opportunity to wax regularly. The skis maintain their "slideability" and don't dry out with Phantom, where wax would be gone after a couple of days.

pliny the elder
I usually recommend travelers give their skis a good waxing & bring a liquid or spray wax to supplement as needed.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's a hidden value of DPS Phantom.. Think of all the money you'll save on beer by not going out to the garage/shop to wax your skis ever other day all through the winter :duck:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bases will accept conventional wax. I've always believed the target audience for Phantom is NOT the hard core skier, though it does ski well across a range of conditions. No, it's not as good as temp/condition specific wax but it is better than the wrong wax. It's for those who don't want to pay for or wax their skis frequently or those who don't have room to wax. As @pliny the elder says, it's good for travelers who don't want to mess with waxing while on the road. In MOST conditions MOST skiers won't notice the difference.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So many no-iron alternatives out there on the market. Either for steady use, or when you can't iron wax. Most probably better than Phantom.
Many waxes can be rubbed on and corked etc. May not last so long, but easy to apply and re-apply.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So many no-iron alternatives out there on the market. Either for steady use, or when you can't iron wax. Most probably better than Phantom.
Many waxes can be rubbed on and corked etc. May not last so long, but easy to apply and re-apply.

I can attest that this method does work well for all but the hardest, coldest wax..

1606148754668.png

Yamabushi

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
does anyone work in a shop that does application or have access to one of DPS' UV hot boxes? Just wondering if someone could take a closer look and see what kind of UV bulbs (wavelength) are in those? That might help us DIYers do a better job of application in the off season
I'm wondering the same. I just DIY'd 1-Part Formula Phantom (aka 3.0) on my new skis under the sun. They are new planks but I still rotobrushed with brand new (non contaminated) brass and nylon rotobrushes prior to applying the formula. It was a sunny day with ok ambient temps but the skis were warm to touch as the direct sun heated up the base and the core. After more than the recommended 1 hour, the base still looked a little wet with the formula. I sun baked them again the next day for all day just to make sure they were cured. The base surface was still wet. I gently wiped them with Swix Fiberlene towel. Is this normal with 3.0? I recall when I DIY'd 1.0 (2-Part Formula) two years ago (on my back then new skis) the base became kinda gummy before I brushed them out. Is this the same result with DPS UV box (specifically 3.0)?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I recall when I DIY'd 1.0 (2-Part Formula) two years ago (on my back then new skis) the base became kinda gummy before I brushed them out. Is this the same result with DPS UV box (specifically 3.0)?
I can't really answer your question but when I recently picked up my newly DPS'd skis the shop guy who hadn't been on duty when my skis were treated, couldn't find my skis until he looked in the DPS UV Box. The skis did not look gummy and he quickly finished the job with a power rotor brush. I think it was the DPS Phantom 2.0

I tried the DPS Phantom last year right before the shut down. After about a dozen days on the snow they're still running buttery and I'm satisfied. I'm curious to see how long they go but for $100 it seems like a good cost/benefit deal so far. Applied onto my 106s so not sure if performance would be different on say a pair of sub 90 groomers.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
My only issue so far with Phantom was on a colder day at Taos last year. Quite sticky. The next day was another cold one but I had them waxed up for that and everything was fine. I'm keeping an eye on the spray/ paste wax thread for options for cold days when traveling.

Sponsor

Staff online