• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Relative weights of son with waxed skis vs you with Phantom? If he's 89 pounds, he's not a good data point. As a good glider myself I know lots of that is sheer physics.

Weight Ratio me/son 1.22 I've also swapped skis with him and then he was faster than I (i.e. DPS Phantom faster than his wax job)

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Weight Ratio me/son 1.22 I've also swapped skis with him and then he was faster than I (i.e. DPS Phantom faster than his wax job)
Hate to say it, but probably not the best wax job for the conditions :doh:;)

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Recall seeing this long long thread, reading a bit, and staying away from posting mainly because from past experiences of avoiding usual critical comments by waxing enthusiasts when they learn I rarely wax skis. Yeah only wax skis if they get a shop tune that hasn't been the case either for a few years or in spring sucking wetness. Oh I do fingernail check my edges and file/stone them as necessary that is typically every day or two. Was a relief to read a few others here admitted to rarely waxing their skis that is a decades old rec bumpers versus racers controversy.

As I recently bought some new midfats that just have the factory tune wax, that I may be using for occasional bc powder use with new Profoil skins, did read they recommend skis be waxed for the sake of the glue not sticking to bases. OK, makes sense and I if so may apply minimal wax only before skinning. So reviewed the Phantom wax info again and also general wax product info. Appreciate the wealth of info in this thread, thank you. As a now retired financial peon, will forgo the pricy Phantom treatment unless I start making significant bucks again haha. But am going to pick up a can of Swiss F4 Glide Wax Aerosol that for $20 and minimal application effort will do. And likely will spray some on 2 of my 3 other quiver skis as well.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got through about half of this 40-page board trying to decide if Phantom is right for me. I represent a different target group than most who have posted here since I’m a casual skier who has never waxed skis (just bought first pair, & husband’s too) and doesn’t own any waxing equipment so the incentive is to either buy waxing equipment or Phantom, but not both. I also live in California and over the holidays I’ll be with my then 5-days-used-once-waxed-skis in sunny San Diego with free time and a back yard, so the application process doesn’t seem daunting if I can get it done there. But husband is scared by the idea of a permanent application, and I won’t do mine if he refuses to do his.

Well I'm in SD, match your target group and am the husband, and I opted to treat my new skis with "The Phantom", and for my money it works fine. 3 days straight I saw only improvement in the glide on day 1. Like I stated earlier in this thread, I felt that Phantom was a boon for the average skier, so if you have to invest in waxing gear AND then wax them regularly, don't bother. Either DPS them yourself or take them to REI they have everything to do the job and be done with it. Unless you are an above average skier or a professional, then consider waxing as a regular thing, because that's your thing (but truth be told, I'd DPS my skis even if I was a expert...).

I'm reminded of the tubeless bicycle tire debate and the disc bicycle brake debate... OK Boomer!

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am the target audience for Phantom. No waxing gear and no desire to learn. No desire to drop off skis for waxing at a shop either. For me, the convenience is worth much more than the cost of application.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I've skied on my new skis with DPS Phantom II base treatment twice so far.
I'd say it works as well as the paste wax I used to apply and cork in before every ski day.
Last Friday, in spring-like conditions, I was passing most people on the flats.
So, yeah, I'm very satisfied with it!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The more I read, the more I think that Phantom might be where this year's REI dividend goes.

Instead of clothes and/or stuff I don't really need (though I'm in dire need of a new "set" of Darn Tough socks).

Last edited:

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Just checked: the paste wax I used to apply before every ski day was, "Briko Maplus Universal Fluoro Cream Super Glide Paste Wax." Much better than the Toko Liquid Wax I'd used previously. Friday I skied at Bromley on mostly man-made snow in low single digit temperatures (and wind with snow guns blasting - ouch!). The DPS Phantom II treatment didn't work as well as it had in higher temps, but it still worked at least as well as the paste wax had under the same conditions. So, I'm still very satisfied with it!

Last edited:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Does anybody know if there's a place in Park City that does the Phantom treatment?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Too lazy to read through 41 pages. Is anybody using this on typical East Coast manmade conditions? If so, how does it hold up? Not sure if it's worth the expense as I need to touch up my edges anyway every few days. Not a huge deal to throw on a coat of wax too.

Might be better for my powder skis though they don't get much use.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I'm using it on typical East Coast man-made conditions, and as stated above, it works as well as a daily application of good all-purpose paste wax. But I've only skied on it 3 days, so I can't speak to the longevity of its effectiveness. All I'm doing is touching up my edges with a diamond stone after each outing.ogsmile

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Too lazy to read through 41 pages. Is anybody using this on typical East Coast manmade conditions? If so, how does it hold up? Not sure if it's worth the expense as I need to touch up my edges anyway every few days. Not a huge deal to throw on a coat of wax too.

Might be better for my powder skis though they don't get much use.
Bases going to burn. Use a Dominator Graphite Zoom and mix with Dominator Bullet to further harden the mix.
You will be a much happier camper!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I just finished my third season on Phantomed skis. I use it on all my skis now, but 3 seasons ago I put it on my SL race skis that I use for race team coaching at Ski Bradford. I put about 20-30 nights a season on these skis. They are doing fine and no base burn (at 250 ft vertical, hard to burn a base unless I ski into the parking lot). I think it works great and saves a lot of time, but wax works as well and you spread the cost over time in smaller chunks versus the one time purchase price of Phantom.

No problem on NE manmade snow.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a pair of Phantomized Blizzard Firebirds in Dec. 2108. Once I got the binding moved forward (easy to do on the plate) they've skied well this season. Recently my D-in-L skiing on an old pair of my late wifes Volkl AC 40's. began gliding much better ( faster) than I was on cat tracks etc.. After few days of that I took them into the shop and asked for some wax. The Techs said they didn't do the Phantom Treatment, and I explained that all I wanted was a wax job on top of the Phantom finish. They waxed the skis which then skied much better (faster in wax races). Very unscientific but the wax job improved things considerably and I'll continue to send them to the shop when necessary. I'm not unhappy with the Phantom process but for my needs I expect to have then waxed now and then. Slide on.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I occasionally apply a liquid wax to my Phantomized bottoms. It does improve the slide. The way I see it- It's much easier to pack for travel a small liquid wax applicator or can than an iron.