• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a big win for DPS... anyone have any idea how much wax a resort might go through on a rental fleet in a season?

I also wonder how competitors to Phantom feel about this... could be good or bad I guess....

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I wonder how many headcount that's going to save...
=====
I keep thinking this stuff would be an ideal Christmas present for someone. But if need gift certificates for a ski shop not here. I don't suppose Phantom has vouchers good at any curing station?

It turns out there's no convenient curing station in Missoula anyway. She'd have to leave her skis in Kalispell. That's not happening. I'm sort of stunned that they have to head up here or to Spokane or Bozeman.

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, there's no close curing station in Orange County either. The closest are over an hour away from me. Unless more REI's are getting them?

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, there's no close curing station in Orange County either. The closest are over an hour away from me. Unless more REI's are getting them?

Perhaps they will be because the REI near me in Framingham, MA has one new this season as well.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
From the Aspen article:

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/loc...e-saying-goodbye-to-ski-wax-hello-to-phantom/

"Norman said there are some old-school ski bums who like to spend the time waxing their own boards. They probably won’t change. For everyone else, Phantom is the future, he said."

In a completely endearing way, I thought of you, Jacques :wag:

Seems like there must be a Quid Pro Quo going on between the said shop & DPS's super juice.

Yea, I like waxing even though it's a lot of work, time and money! :popcorn:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Seems like there must be a Quid Pro Quo going on between the said shop & DPS's super juice.

Yea, I like waxing even though it's a lot of work, time and money! :popcorn:

Of course there is a Quid Pro Quo. It could be as simple as the shop gives $$ to DPS and DPS gives PHANTOM to the shop. (Probably very similar to the prior quid pro quo where the shop gave $$ to the wax manufacturer and the wax manufacturer gave wax to the shop) ..... ??? :)

Jacques

Skier
Of course there is a Quid Pro Quo. It could be as simple as the shop gives $$ to DPS and DPS gives PHANTOM to the shop. (Probably very similar to the prior quid pro quo where the shop gave $$ to the wax manufacturer and the wax manufacturer gave wax to the shop) ..... ??? :)

How about shop gets extra super wholesale deal in exchange for a fantastic write up?
Do you think that's a possibility?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bet the shop is getting a good whole sale deal, volume always commands that. Seems like publicity for the shop, and a kicker for DPS, would be a likely scenario for motivation. Seems like the shop wants to get the word out their rentals don't need a return trip during the week for waxing, and I bet their claim that Phantom is faster than wax is another sales pitch by the shop. DPS doesn't claim its faster, so I bet that's the shop trying to create an advantage for themselves. All in all, a win win for the shop and DPS.

BTW, the shop didn't write the article, the local newspaper did.

Jacques

Skier
I bet the shop is getting a good whole sale deal, volume always commands that. Seems like publicity for the shop, and a kicker for DPS, would be a likely scenario for motivation. Seems like the shop wants to get the word out their rentals don't need a return trip during the week for waxing, and I bet their claim that Phantom is faster than wax is another sales pitch by the shop. DPS doesn't claim its faster, so I bet that's the shop trying to create an advantage for themselves. All in all, a win win for the shop and DPS.

BTW, the shop didn't write the article, the local newspaper did.

I realize the "paper" did the article, yet someone instigated that. Papers are always looking for stories. Easy peasy.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just called the closest REI and they now have the cure station. Not showing on DOS website though:huh:

Question for the masses:

Should I have REI "stone grind" (best scenario per DPS), trusting their techs? Or should I take it to the one and only ski shop in Orange county (which I have gone to previously) and then take it to REI for the application and curing?

When I talked with the guy on the phone, he had done a grand total of 2 or 3 applications so far....

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just skied for the 1st time this season. I skied all last season on 3 pair that had DPS Phantom applied and I was happy. Before this season I had 2 pair base-grind and structured. The DPS Phantom treatment is still working well after the base grind/structuring.....

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just dropped off 3 pairs of skis at REI to be phantomed. The price to do "used"/not new skis was $152 a pair. The rough breakdown as follows: $100 for the product, $30 to get the ski bases prepped, $22 for labor.

Worth it? I sure hope so! I think I am a typical use customer. I can tell the difference when my skis have a fresh wax, but I can't tell enough for performance/race orientated. Plus, I'm not running gates.

I just want my skis to glide smoothly!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just dropped off 3 pairs of skis at REI to be phantomed. The price to do "used"/not new skis was $152 a pair. The rough breakdown as follows: $100 for the product, $30 to get the ski bases prepped, $22 for labor.

This would be a great way to burn up some of the annual REI Mastercard dividend.

Otherwise, I'm patiently waiting for this to get to the $100/pair price point.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Worth it? I sure hope so! I think I am a typical use customer. I can tell the difference when my skis have a fresh wax, but I can't tell enough for performance/race orientated. Plus, I'm not running gates.

I just want my skis to glide smoothly!
It's a little more here, but we only have one Phantom station in the state. Next closest are Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, or something like that. I just got my brand new skis done - $165.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a little more here, but we only have one Phantom station in the state. Next closest are Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, or something like that. I just got my brand new skis done - $165.
Yeah, DPS website isn't showing the REI's as a cure station yet. So maybe more locations will be available soon.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I applied it myself to 3 pair using 1 kit of Phantom 1.0. Much more cost effective than using all that product on 1 pair of skis and pay ing for application.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I applied it myself to 3 pair using 1 kit of Phantom 1.0. Much more cost effective than using all that product on 1 pair of skis and pay ing for application.
I'm not much of a DIY person and living on the cloudy side of Michigan I'd have to wait until July to get enough sun to make the curing work!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cost vs. Convenience... convenience won.